Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

my FIRST game character

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
Hello, I am working on my first game character from concept to animating sequences. I will be posting updates of my work as I go. let me know what you think and more. Just remember, it is my first time ever doing any character- modeling, sculpting, texturing, etc... well here is the work I have right now.

I am also making a blog with more info about it at www.jackbanta.com

full update

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua6yF8QZSqo[/ame]
mechanic_by_tahakitan-d86mpck.jpg

Replies

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Certainly respectable for a fist shot!

In the future, I'd recommend you post WIPs as you go. It's a lot less useful to give specific critique now, since you couldn't implement it without more or less redoing the character from scratch. Take your time, and use a ton of references and critiques.
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov,
    I'll keep that in mind for the next time :) thx
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Im telling you, for a first you did a whole lot better than many of us back in the 90's

Just kidding of course, well done junior :D
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx peanut! most of it felt like an experiment lol.
    peanut™ wrote: »
    Im telling you, for a first you did a whole lot better than many of us back in the 90's

Just kidding of course, well done junior :D
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is a presentation for my portfolio
    780372_6da17489f4704eb09459039dc900c4a4.png_srz_p_630_630_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After some comments and changes I created a video and used marmoset to make a presentation.
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua6yF8QZSqo[/ame]
  • dr jekyll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    search and read some of the joint rotation threads here.
    for example the boot looks like it is bending the legs independently of the ankle as if the boot is snapping her shins. and the neck is bending the head backward impossibly giving a turtle like impression. Both examples from the extreme crouch pose.

But these are just nitpicking considering this is your first character.
    most important observation would be that for a first character your model is very charming and has loads of character.
    I believe you achieved your concept of grungy ?Asian? girl.
    Keep shooting for the charm you are aiming for and a lot of the technical nitpicking will get refined along the way.

Good Job.
  • Bueno88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know you were asking for critique on the model, but I have to stop and say I love the presentation card you made for your portfolio. If you don't mind me asking, what size and resolution is that card?

In a more related note, the model looks great. Hair intimidates me, and you pulled off stylized hair way better than my attempts. Great work!
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ dr jekyll I will def. check out the joint rotation thread. I agree I need improving there. I did not even notice the neck until you told me. I appreciate the feedback :)

@ Bueno88 you mean the image or video size? Video size was actuall 1920 x 1800 when making it. The image before that was 4800 x 4800. thanks for the hair comment, it was hard to make it in Maya. a few days later I discovered I could of done the same amount of work in zbrush 10x faster with the hair lol