Home Technical Talk

ZBrush Subtool Question

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
M-Cubed polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys. I've been getting back into ZBrush lately after having not used it for a while, and wanted to ask about a specific tool or technique. I'm currently working on a character, and have been making a shield/buckler type subtool. Right now it's positioned beside the character and mirrored on the y-axis for easy sculpting. However, I want to move the shield to the character's arm temporarily, to make sure it is the right size for straps and such. Is there a way I can move the subtool to the character's arm, make adjustments, and then snap it back to it's original position so I can still take advantage of symmetry? It's a bit tricky, since the character is in an 'A' pose, so there would be rotation involved to position it on the arm correctly, so I can't really just move it then move it back. It would be a real pain to have to rotate it back precisely.

Either there is a way to do this that I am not seeing in the various Zbrush tool sets, or I am going about this in the wrong way. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• Hamakua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hamakua polycounter lvl 4
    There are two ways you can achieve what you are going for off the top of my head.

You can use local symmetry, which works with most symmetrical geometry even when you move/transpose its positon. It should be on your right close frame toolbar (stock UI layout), somewhere near the perspective, transparency, and solo buttons, called L.Sym IIRC.

Under Geometry on the far side toolbar there is a "position" tab that lets you manually adjust the position of various subtools relative to the origin.

As far as I know there is no instancing in Zbrush but it was one of the new features displayed at the summit and due in 4R7 (this would confront your issue seamlessly).

The way I would deal with your issue is to actually make a copy of the arm you mean to model the shield to and orient that to the shield that is centered/symmetrical and make adjustments that way. Then merge the two (separate polygroups) at the end and use the arm to roughly re-align the shield how you want.

Another round about option is to use another program that has more precise positioning as a go between - like Blender, Max, or Maya.

I tried messing around with set pivot point and clear pivot point, but the outcome didn't have the desired result.

---

Another option is to have another subtool that is just a small part of the backboard (with markers for alignment) against the arm so you can deal with the straps on the figure, while having the main shield centered.

These are the workarounds that I'd use - Probably just the arm copied one.

---

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    I'm pretty sure this will work...but I'd have to test:

1. Make a layer and move the shield into position
    2. Make another layer and make your adjustments
    3. Delete the "move" layer

*Edit* Yup! Totally works. May break your symmetry though.
  • Hamakua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hamakua polycounter lvl 4
    I found another option that I forgot about. Subtools preserve their own respective undo history. You could position the physical model figure to fit the shield so the shield is still centered and just undo the model once you are done. Or just make a copy of him.
  • M-Cubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M-Cubed polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys thanks for the answers! Lots of good options there. I'll have to try some of them out tonight and see which works the best for me. I'm leaning toward the copy of the arm, or using layers.

Nice to hear that a better solution is on the way though. I do love all the updates Pixologic has been making lately. One of the reasons I've gotten back into ZBrush in the first place.