Home General Discussion

Is there a position for level designers that don't model?

I like putting together layouts/levels and scripting events. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm just not very good at actually making the art. My degree is in art and technology, but I've always leaned toward the latter.

I just cannot find any (paying) work for that kind of position though.

Am I missing something or is the position just sort of merged together with being able to create great looking assets?

Replies

• WarrenM
    No, we have lots of level designers who don't model. Don't worry about it.
  • mister_s
    WarrenM wrote: »
    No, we have lots of level designers who don't model. Don't worry about it.

I recently took my portfolio down to revamp. Do you happen to have any suggestions? (I'm not begging you for a job with Epic. I just want to know what somewhere with a reputation is looking for. I'm in Texas, regardless, so it's a bit of a drive over there.) What would Epic look for, for example, in terms of someone who wants to level design? I'm just going to restart in UE4 since I haven't played with that yet. I just did UDK when I was in college.

Just the levels? Flythroughs? Gameplay? Rough layout sketches? Do I make it very obvious that I'm not using my own artwork? I worked on creating levels/scripting events on a smaller indie game for free for about a year when I graduated (but I had to stop as there was a promise of pay that only materialized excuses). Would that be something I put down even though I can't really show any of the work I did?

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not ignorant. I know how to use the tools. I can model basic things, but nothing that is ship worthy; basically placeholder or relatively simple objects that don't need a keen artistic eye. I've wasted a lot of my personal time coming to the conclusion it's something I'm not going to ever excel in.
  • WarrenM
    if you want to show off level design chops, you might want to pick up the new UT and bust out some levels there. We'd be looking for, basically, how well do you understand the game play and flow through the level.

More important than sketches or ideas are finished levels that are fun to play.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    You're looking for scene dresser position ?
    Make lots of awesome envo pieces with UE4 and Unity and stuff like that then.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Err Pyr, no he is looking for the opposite. The guy that makes the skeleton layout the "scene dresser" builds off of.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya make stuff for the new UT, or make a map for something like tf2 that plays well. Really focus on gameplay, and lighting.

The problem is when your competing against people who got level design and art skills, people that can build a level, and create missing assets as needed, and understand how uv's and shaders work. So to compete you need some pretty good LD skills.
  • WarrenM
    Enviro artists generally don't want LDs making meshes anyway, to be honest. Making placeholders is definitely welcome though.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    The best level designers are also decent modelers, because that greatly helps to be comfortable enough to create all sort of more organic layouts in a 3D application such as 3DS Max or ZBrush (rought terrain, Zremesher and it is quickly done...).

100% this. Having a good understanding of art, composition, architecture, the ability to model separates good level designers from amazing ones.

Its not needed as some great designers make everything out of 1x1 cubes which is the most annoying thing in the world but there designs are still good.