Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hello All.. New to polycount

RICHARDROOTS
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
RICHARDROOTS polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone, I'm just starting into the industry. I am firstly and always will be a musician. So.. that being said be gentle with the critiques. lol

Bless.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What are you trying to make?
  • RICHARDROOTS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a helmet. ^_^
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What kind of helmet? Medieval? Motorcycle?

Is it for a video game? For 3D print? For animation?
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    If you're just starting out with game art, you might want to polygon model this first before you jump into sculpting.
  • RICHARDROOTS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No it just looks cool.
  • RICHARDROOTS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No game art here.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    not really sure what kind of crits you're looking for. If it's just a random speedsculpt with no real goal in mind that's fine..but not really crit-able. If you're going for something specific we can help you. for example..if that's a skull underneath it it could definitely benefit from some anatomy study. If you're serious about getting into this stuff i strongly suggest getting some concepts or real world references and trying to hit the mark.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RICHARDROOTS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No game art here.

Well it's a helmet. So it fits over your noodle. So your skulls is smaller then a helmet. Since this is a wearable helmet. And not a skull inside a helmet, but a helmet. So please note that though yes anatomy is important. It's not being used here. Because you would never be able to get the helmet on, not to mention artistic flare. The eyebrow for example. It's not meant to be the same anatomically correct shape as your eye brow is supposed to be.

The skull helmet Is entirely hollow.

And yes I have successfully opened z brush. And this is my helmet sculpt study.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Was your person a cyclop? :D

A head in a destroyed helmet is always a nice idea for a beginner, keep it up :thumbup:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So in the interest of NOT continuing to kick the horse that, if not dead, is in mortal peril of expiring - Let's move on.
    You've opened Zbrush. explored some tools and interfaces. Noodled around with something fun and authored a nifty thing that has brought you happiness.

We don't need to tear it apart and you don't need to defend it.
    HOWEVER
    If you do, indeed, have a desire to grow into a legitimate 3d artist you should move on to another thing. a thing with a little more focus and a more clearly defined goal. Something that you can aim for, miss the mark, get some advice/cirtique, and shoot for again - getting a little closer this time. Something to help you learn the fundamentals.

maybe something like this
    600_skull_helmet.jpg
    maybe something completely different.
    The point is - this thread isn't really being productive for you or for us.
  • RICHARDROOTS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a point where thoughtless positivity yields negative results. Like the artist that was always told by mommy his art was amazing then gets out into the world to find out otherwise. So I'll just say this looks bad to me. It looks like nothing at all and someone simply opened zbrush and burped out a model without study, thought, or a significant amount of time applied.

I encourage you to start over and communicate your goals to the viewer better with concept design, more angles and effort put into your work.

You preface your thread saying being an artist is a secondary priority and you want gentle critique. Two things polycount is famously not about. So why are you here?

Wow you sound like a terrible person. Wow dude that actually took about a week of work. It's a helmet. It has concept and design, it's a hollow helmet that fits perfectly over my head. Meaning it has concept and function. The Inlay of the skull is meant to mimic a skull. Not perfectly replicate it. Personally you all send hella pretentious. My goals to the viewer are not prattle to douche bags. But to make a helmet, to make a helmet looked cracked open, revealing a skull underneath but still be a helmet. Holy **** people what do you not get?
  • RICHARDROOTS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK wrote: »
    So in the interest of NOT continuing to kick the horse that, if not dead, is in mortal peril of expiring - Let's move on.
    You've opened Zbrush. explored some tools and interfaces. Noodled around with something fun and authored a nifty thing that has brought you happiness.

HOWEVER
    If you do, indeed, have a desire to grow into a legitimate 3d artist you should move on to another thing. a thing with a little more focus and a more clearly defined goal. Something that you can aim for, miss the mark, get some advice/cirtique, and shoot for again - getting a little closer this time. Something to help you learn the fundamentals.

600_skull_helmet.jpg

This looks like garbage in comparison.
  • RICHARDROOTS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just going to say this, yeah this thread was a complete waste of time. And when the posts says don't critque horribly .. Then don't be a pretentious ass hat.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • RICHARDROOTS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a point where thoughtless positivity yields negative results. Like the artist that was always told by mommy his art was amazing then gets out into the world to find out otherwise. So I'll just say this looks bad to me. It looks like nothing at all and someone simply opened zbrush and burped out a model without study, thought, or a significant amount of time applied.

I encourage you to start over and communicate your goals to the viewer better with concept design, more angles and effort put into your work.

You preface your thread saying being an artist is a secondary priority and you want gentle critique. Two things polycount is famously not about. So why are you here?

Negative how. Exactly the helmet does its job, it's inlaid in the way that it was meant to be inlaid. One side of the helmet is entirely blank of the skull and smooth finish, the other side is in contrast broken and reveals a skull underneath. Consider the skull HAS to be the same width as the helmet to actually work. It does not have be 100% anatomaclly correct. The inside of helmet is seem less. Direction was used. And it will be 3D printed off and finished. I encourage you to suck on your own ego. Because clearly it's the size of africa. Well I do no one thing polycount is famous for. You being a dick.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow you sound like a terrible person. Wow dude that actually took about a week of work. It's a helmet. It has concept and design, it's a hollow helmet that fits perfectly over my head. Meaning it has concept and function. The Inlay of the skull is meant to mimic a skull. Not perfectly replicate it. Personally you all send hella pretentious. My goals to the viewer are not prattle to douche bags. But to make a helmet, to make a helmet looked cracked open, revealing a skull underneath but still be a helmet. Holy **** people what do you not get?

Matt is at least decent person, professionally. Calling him a pretentious douchebag for holding you up to the same standards he does to me as well as the rest of the game development community is going to hurt others.

That was very hurtful to read, Richard. I understand you might have a different approach to how you do your work compared to a large majority of the artists here, but reacting so hurtfully to others jabs will only cause more pain.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • RICHARDROOTS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was your person a cyclop? :D

A head in a destroyed helmet is always a nice idea for a beginner, keep it up :thumbup:

It's full helmet with an inlay of a skull. INLAY not anatomically correct skull.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We didn't know you wanted to 3D print this. It would have totally help set expectations if you wrote that in the first post!

We all need to learn to communicate! ><
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12

I am going to quote this again because this is pure truth.

Understand this. Polycount is where the industry professional and the industry professional wannabe (and very very few hobbyists ?) are. These are the people who work hard on their skills to become a better artist. These are the people who come here to get feedback and comments and critique on how to make better stuff. Good stuff that the industry want to hire them. People here also help pushing others up. Polycount is famous for that, actually. Harsh, truth, feedback that tear down portfolio so a new and better one can be made.

OP, maybe you work hard on that helmet, maybe you don't really plan much what to do with it, at least decide what do you want to do with 3d. If you want to doodle around with it, that is perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with that. If you want to make cool random stuff for fun, nothing wrong with that either. Polycount will quickly learn not to give you feedback toward working in the industry.

We apologize for assuming you want to be an industry professional artist...

It's ok... You aren't the first. I'm sure you will not be the last.
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    RICHARDROOTS, I won't bother to critique your work but something you need to work on is taking critique. Don't get me wrong, everyone on this forum at some point or another has gotten defensive when given honest critique whether that be in real life or on these forums, it's a natural reaction. But one of the things to learn is that not everyones opinions conform to your own or each others. Some people will love your work, others may hate it. The thing to look out for is constructive critique, which as you may have figured out is when someone tells you what's wrong and what could be improved and that is the kind of critique you need to just take on board without a fight.
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    Man this is such an obvious troll it's not even funny.
    GR8 B8 M8 8/8
  • RICHARDROOTS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

HOWEVER

600_skull_helmet.jpg

This is bs.. how the hell can art miss the mark. It's fucking art. Have you seen picaso... like holy shit. Yeah I'm cool with critique but you don't even understand what your looking at. Wich to me mean means great. I did my job. You posted a stupid looking helmet and said this is better. It's npt it looks like shit. One positive comment out of a egotistical pretentious ass hats. How about a kid finger painting is still art. Even if you don't understand it. Or get it. I expected more from people who are so called pros. And some of the comments here. Come from douche bags I can draw under the table. So wtf. Eat shit( now that's art)
  • RICHARDROOTS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This guy says legitimate 3D artist. What makes me legitimate your opinion?
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at the risk of feeding the troll...i just want to say. i wasn't suggesting that helmet was objectively better. it's a helmet we have a picture of..that if you were to attempt we could measure you're work against it. we could tell you if your materials work...if your geo is functional. if the proportions and shapes match. If you want to make your own design, that's great too. we can discuss if that design meets the goals you intended it to meet.

none of that is happening. i get the distinct impression you don't intend any of that to happen.

What you've done is sculpt a thing and say it's perfect because it's exactly the thing you set out to sculpt. Good for you. why are you here, exactly, then?

edit* by legitimate I mean...legitimate. yes a kid can fingerpaint and that's great. nobody can tell that kid his fingerpainting sucks. but he's still a kid fingerpainting. if you intend to grow in your craft you have to strive to be better at it. if the kid only wants to fingerpaint for the rest of their life that's great for them, but they'll not likely find a job fingerpainting. at some point they'll have to get versed in the skills to make them a LEGITIMATE painter.
    Polycount is largely populated by working professionals or those aspiring to be so. That doesn't mean you HAVE to be among those groups to participate, but it DOES mean that's the assumptions we tend to make about you when you post your work.

every single one of us was trying to help you. we want you to be a better artist, we want the things you post to reach the potential that we see in them. there are roughly 0 people here that intend to be snarky assholes that think they're better than everybody else. those who show up don't often stay long.
  • RICHARDROOTS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    I am going to quote this again because this is pure truth.

Understand this. Polycount is where the industry professional and the industry professional wannabe (and very very few hobbyists ?) are. These are the people who work hard on their skills to become a better artist. These are the people who come here to get feedback and comments and critique on how to make better stuff. Good stuff that the industry want to hire them. People here also help pushing others up. Polycount is famous for that, actually. Harsh, truth, feedback that tear down portfolio so a new and better one can be made.

OP, maybe you work hard on that helmet, maybe you don't really plan much what to do with it, at least decide what do you want to do with 3d. If you want to doodle around with it, that is perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with that. If you want to make cool random stuff for fun, nothing wrong with that either. Polycount will quickly learn not to give you feedback toward working in the industry.

We apologize for assuming you want to be an industry professional artist...

It's ok... You aren't the first. I'm sure you will not be the last.

Industry pros are not pretentious
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, they can be pretentious.

You'd be surprised at the amount of horror stories I've received being this young from all the people I've interned or worked with.

My collegaues and betters have blacklists. I think even I have a couple people I am very cautious about having as a co-worker or a producer, etc.
  • RICHARDROOTS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at the risk of feeding the troll...i just want to say. i wasn't suggesting that helmet was objectively better. it's a helmet we have a picture of..that if you were to attempt we could measure you're work against it. we could tell you if your materials work...if your geo is functional. if the proportions and shapes match. If you want to make your own design, that's great too. we can discuss if that design meets the goals you intended it to meet.

none of that is happening. i get the distinct impression you don't intend any of that to happen.

What you've done is sculpt a thing and say it's perfect because it's exactly the thing you set out to sculpt. Good for you. why are you here, exactly, then?

I was here to find contacts and learn things.but after this shit no way, buddy if you spoke like that to anyone in person you would likely get knocked out. Fucking "artists" you told me I lack direction. I don't but.. lets feed your ego. How ? How does this lack direction. Im here to learn but. Wtf man practice some fucking tact.
  • RICHARDROOTS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, they can be pretentious.

You'd be surprised at the amount of horror stories I've received being this young from all the people I've interned or worked with.

My collegaues and betters have blacklists. I think even I have a couple people I am very cautious about having as a co-worker or a producer, etc.

I like this guy you're alright. Just saying I may be a troll. But thos guy you could learn from this guy Thanks for being level headed.

So far best website ever. My band is reading these comments and informed me that dicks join forums to feed ego and belittle people. Panda dude is cool. Not so much of the others.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Quite the interesting thread.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Richard what do you want to get out of being a 3D artist? Like... in the long run, what are your aspirations?
  • Xsim1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xsim1 polycounter lvl 4
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ummm, if you're maybe trolling.

Mods? Any mods nearby?
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    If you're just looking for asspats you might be better off on deviantArt.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Richard, it's very clear that you are fairly new to this kind of environment. Receiving criticism isn't easy but for many of us it's done on a daily bases so we get used to it. And no, in the real world people don't get physically assaulted for giving feedback to level-headed people who asked for it.

Taking criticism productively is a trained skill. Even the ones you perceive as being rude or offensive.

You came here looking for feedback, that is not an invitation to get aggressive because you disagree.

Polycount isn't really for the faint of heart.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    The amount of troll on polycount since the beginning of the riot contest is unbelievable...
  • ed_3D
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    When I read Richards posts, I picture a 14 year old behind the computer screen. Seems people just tried to understand why you're here, and all you kept saying was, "Look at my helmet, its a helmet, you see my helmet? Are you stupid its obviously a helmet" Why does this thread have more posts than other more deserving threads, and why am I posting adding to the reply count. chansub-global-emoticon-2e4fca1ecf2780b0-28x26.png
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    I think I've suffered a concussion from repeatedly smashing my head against the wall due to reading this tread.

ouch.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    I think I've suffered a concussion from repeatedly smashing my head against the wall due to reading this tread.

ouch.

I've found a use for OP's helmet! >.>
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Well this escalated quickly...
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    @Dan Powell- Good one :D
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    I was here to find contacts and learn things.but after this shit no way, buddy if you spoke like that to anyone in person you would likely get knocked out. Fucking "artists" you told me I lack direction. I don't but.. lets feed your ego. How ? How does this lack direction. Im here to learn but. Wtf man practice some fucking tact.
    You lack direction because you didn't have a direction, as you stated yourself the helmet you made was just as more of a test or a quick play with Zbrush. If you want 'direction' find a piece of concept art or a design of a helmet you like and give yourself an ultimate goal, for example to make a game ready asset or a pretty render with a proper lighting setup etc. Start blocking out from the concept, go through the full process and have a final piece of art to show off to us and anyone you want to show it to.

Randomly opening Zbrush and making a quick sculpt of anything on your mind isn't having a direction. It's good practice though and your helmet is certainly better than my first ever model.

At any rate I think you need to step back, take a deep breath and calm down. No one was intentionally trying to offend you and you weren't getting treated any differently to the rest of us on the forum.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    This is bs.. how the hell can art miss the mark. It's fucking art. Have you seen picaso... like holy shit. Yeah I'm cool with critique but you don't even understand what your looking at. Wich to me mean means great. I did my job. You posted a stupid looking helmet and said this is better. It's npt it looks like shit. One positive comment out of a egotistical pretentious ass hats. How about a kid finger painting is still art. Even if you don't understand it. Or get it. I expected more from people who are so called pros. And some of the comments here. Come from douche bags I can draw under the table. So wtf. Eat shit( now that's art)

there is a difference between being an artist, and being a production artist, or say a commercial artist. you wanna target it to fine arts? go talk to gallery owners.

there is a general misconception of art and commercial design work, in german i would never call myself an artist, in english there is just a lack of a proper job describing word, every single translation from german to english ends up in some sort of artist - or illustrator which i am not.

so calm your tits, wrong forum to seach for artsy artists. if you wanna learn the craft to level up your art, stick around, learn from the pros, listen, apply. you are free to disagree, but don't be surprised if the reactions might not be to your liking, we are not your mom or your junior high art teacher, sorry that it'll take you some more skill to get some more love :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Closing this and keeping an eye on Mr. Roots.
This discussion has been closed.