Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique my website/work?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Heather_Bea polycounter lvl 5
Hello! I am about to graduate. I'd love to get some advice on my website and possibly the work if it does not look up to par.

http://www.heatherbea.com/

Thank you!

Replies

• MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    I noticed you only show off the textures for two of those models, why not show off all of the textures for the others to at least show the UV's are done well? I love the mouse btw!
  • J_Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

I'm not an expert on portfolios (I'm a student myself) but I really like the design of your site. It looks very organized and functional to me. Also it's great that you talk about how long it took you to complete your 3D models, I imagine that's very interesting information for hiring companies.

I'd maybe consider renaming your 'Artwork' tab at the top of the site to something like 'Portfolio' because 'Artwork' sounds a lot like 2D art and concepts to me, which got me confused at some point.

Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but most 3D Artists usually put a wireframe view right next to their renders. I know that you can toggle on wireframe mode in sketchfab, but probably not everybody knows this and a wireframe image using quads shows your topology knowledge way better than the triangles that sketchfab displays.

One last minor thing: It's 'Environments', not 'Enviornments', just a little typo on the front page .(:

I hope you find this helpful and good luck!
  • Heather_Bea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matty- I'll get right on that! ^_^

J Ott- Thanks! I wasn't sure what to name it, Portfolio sounds a lot better. That is a good point, I'll get some wire frames on there.
    Eeek! Thanks, I'll fix that o.o'

Thank you very much for the input, guys!
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    yea, great website. I would say the same as above. show textures and wireframe. no matter how good it looks, if it's not usable than its pointless and those two things help show it.

on an other note, I'm a student at UCF, curious how DAVE school is. how is your experience there?
  • Heather_Bea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DAVE School has been pretty awesome! I came here with no experience with 3D and think I've learned a lot. The game program is very new, I'll actually be part of their first graduating class. Since you are so close you should schedule a visit! They are constantly giving tours. :D
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    im pretty far in my program already, probably not a good idea to switch schools. I'm happy with ucf anyway. I'm trying to get into FIEA
  • marcobar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marcobar polycounter lvl 4
    One quick thing off the bat: I noticed that 'Environments' is spelled incorrectly on the main page, so just fix that up!

I like that the strongest is front and centre on the page. Your hand-painted characters are very nicely put together, and it's cool having sketchfab access to take a closer look at topology and construction. One thing I would suggest is that you actually include a screenshot of wires and texture flats (as previously suggested), because not everyone skimming through the page will take the time to click on the sketchfab links, and they'll miss on your model topology! (Which is quite well done, in my opinion).

Artwork-wise, the only other suggestion I have is to tweak the lighting on the Unity courtyard environment, because as it stands it's very hard to see what's going on aside from the tree prop. You mentioned that you modelled and textured the whole environment, but we only get to see a fraction of the work.

As for the written content, it's totally optional, but you could bulk out the resume portion by describing your previous employment roles. That being said, I've been told by teachers and the few industry people I know that the only thing most employers look at is the work itself, and then maybe a spare glance goes to resume/cover letter.
  • Ervin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ervin polycounter lvl 7
    Looks pretty great, especially compared to a lot of other recent graduates who have posted here. The only issue I see from an employment perspective is that a lot of your work looks very similar - low detail, cartoonish fantasy/medieval stuff (except for the dog, which is more detailed). This means that companies who aren't working on stuff that looks just like that may overlook you.
  • wccrawford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wccrawford polycounter lvl 4
    I was clicking through and thought, "Wait, isn't that at Universal Studios?" ... Yup! Very nicely done!

Someone else mentioned that "environments" was misspelled, and that bothers me a lot, too.