Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Request for crit: Intruder (Environment)

Leto
polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Leto polycounter lvl 16
Hey guys,

Please ruthlessly critique my Unreal 4 environment, titled Intruder. My goals were to
1) work in modern/sci-fi (i normally work in Fantasy)
2) learn Unreal 4
3) create an interior using a small modular set of pieces

DanHaard_Environmental_2014_Intruder_A.jpg

DanHaard_Environmental_2014_Intruder_B.jpg

DanHaard_Environmental_2014_Intruder_Zbrush.jpg

DanHaard_Environmental_2014_Intruder_Ortho.jpg

Go nuts, don't hold back. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    While really cool, the subject matter seams at odds with one another. I guess I'm not convinced this robot is actually a part of that environment. I guess I'm wanting to see it in a sci-fy setting. Both elements are pretty cool, and have solid foundations, just don't know if they go together as well as they could/should. Personally I'd of gone for something more like this...

MirrorsEdge2010-10-2021-28-42-07-c.jpg
  • Leto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leto polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks for the response pixelpatron.. it's interesting that you call out the juxtaposition of styles, as that was very much the intent of the piece! :) old, worn architecture and this really "alien" looking intruder. However, I think I didn't convey the act of intrusion well (how did this get here?) which would have told the story better, conveying my original intent. So that's still valuable feedback for me, thanks!

Aaaanybody else? Execution crit? Texture? Models? Lighting? Content? :)
  • Giacomo X
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Giacomo X polycounter lvl 6
    Your technical skills are OK--but, not to be a dick about it, you'd do well put this aside, decide what the specific concept is (i.e., "Martian cropduster in Westminster Abbey") and start over from there, making sure the idea comes across. Right now it feels like you just created a robot and three wall sections and tried to make a picture out of them. Some times that works--more often it doesn't.

(Also, in terms of specific pictorial stuff, I'd say: the lighting is simply not working. I had not idea what kind of forms I was looking at until I scrolled down to the screen caps. Drama is nice, but if you're showing a form unfamiliar to the viewer (i.e., that robot) the lighting should be descriptive enough that the viewer isn't confused as to what he's looking at.)

Just my two cents.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm I wrote out a reply but forgot to sign in and lost everything -_-. Anyways a more condensed version.

1. Textures on the robot need work. There's no wear or anything. If he's going to break into a sewer, he's got some scratches or maybe some dripping dirt or something. He's perfectly clean right now. I also think the material definition could use some work.

2. Your sculpts are beautiful but the textures on the rock kind of let them down. Especially in the shot up close where the texture looks blurry. I think you should take a look at the Polycount Rock thread for some inspiration

3. I think the lighting needs to be re-done. The skylight is blowing out the robot a ton right now. It think pixelpatron's image is perfect lighting/mood. Also why is there purple lighting? It doesn't quite make sense. In addition, I think the emissive lights are too strong and aren't drawing attention to interesting areas.

4. I think the robot design is a bit simple. I'd love to see it pushed further and maybe the subtle panel cuts can be exaggerated to show them more. Right now it's hard to see them and the robot mostly reads as solid, clean, pieces.

I guess overall it feels like another 2-3 weeks of work would really make this scene pop!
  • Leto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leto polycounter lvl 16
    Sweet, thanks guys!

@Giacomo, your perspective was hugely helpful for me. You are totally right and you have found a bad blind spot in my process... i too often design for the screenshot instead of just making a whole, functional space, and the space suffers for it. I'm currently trying to apply this lesson to the env i'm working on right now, so it is immediately helpful. Also, your comment about the lighting on a subject with which the viewer is not familiar is very insightful. Thank you!

@beefaroni, you're right on with your specific crits, thank you. When I go back to this scene I will go down your list and try to address these issues.

Thank you guys, you rock!
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    I would suggest you do a moodboard for both the environment and the robot. Try to include photos/illustrations/concept art AND recent AAA models.

Environment moodboard: Look for anything within your theme that has interesting lighting and colours as well as good composition. You probably want to have a lot of interesting detail and something that's not boring to do and shows off your skillz. Personally I think that no matter your skill level, sewers like that will be boring, always. Boring to do, boring to look at.
    Sure the one in Mirror's Edge looked nice due to its scale but it was probably the least interesting environment in the whole game from every other aspect (in my opinion). Its real world counterpart is japan's storm drain system, look it up and you will see. You got a lot of potential with this subject, go crazy (sewer =/= crazy).

Robot moodboard: Primary goal with this is getting a good idea of the amount of detail that usually goes into large scale sci-fi robots/vehicles. You current robot has a nice silhouette but it's far from what I would call industry level quality. Your concept is really minimalistic and lacks actual detail. Do black and white sketches and don't emphasize metallic reflections, because they will make you think there's more detail when not. If it's not your sketch then find a better one ;)
  • Leto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leto polycounter lvl 16
    You guys rock, you are pointing out all my weak spots!

@bedrock, as lame as this sounds, I am terrible at taking the time to find reference sometimes. Not sure why. I suppose I feel that it's cheating or something, that I am supposed to come up with all of it myself. But I know this is a ridiculous and limiting mindset. I need to remember that "good artists borrow, great artists steal." I was certainly guilty of working blind on this piece, so you are correct to point out the subsequent lack of detail.

Last night I watched a playback of some concepts being done and the artists were stealing shit like crazy - not for reference - but for texture, pattern, shapes, etc.. it's the same principle: don't work from scratch if you don't have to. It was very revealing for me.

Thanks for all your honest criticism guys. I work with artists but don't get nearly this much useful feedback because they know me haha.