Home General Discussion

Taking A Break from Art ?

TAN
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TAN polycounter lvl 12
I just wanted to ask if you really feel sometimes want to take a break from doing what you are doing everyday. It could be 2D, 3D, music, design, performing etc. Especially towards the end of the year.

So ?

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Man, when I finish the project I'm working on right now I'm gonna take a long ass break. At least 2 weeks to catch up on games, tv or whatever and prepare for the next project.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Play games often and you won't feel like you need to take a break, it helps so much.

If you are sacrificing free time to do more art and aren't playing many games, I would suggest to find a balance between the two.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    As a contractor, I'm forced to take breaks anyways, heh. Microsoft's policy used to be 1yr contract, 100 days off (mandatory). Now it's 18 month contract, 6 months off (mandatory) :\
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    No.
    Breaks are overrated, and robots shouldn't be thinking about this kind of strange things. Only faulty robots need to take breaks.
    Your thought module seems to be malfunctioning, I will inform the authorities so that they can replace it with a new one.
  • omneom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omneom polycounter lvl 6
    I took a break from 3d, for about 1-2 years, couse I got really sick of it, don't exactly know why. Took up painting, both digital and traditional. Took 3d up back and my 2d art skills really improved my work, so I guess breaks are good, just don't make them too long.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    No.
    Breaks are overrated, and robots shouldn't be thinking about this kind of strange things. Only faulty robots need to take breaks.
    Your thought module seems to be malfunctioning, I will inform the authorities so that they can replace it with a new one.

tumblr_m9pignsNcP1rxcv2jo1_500.gif
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    No.

Blop.jpg
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    If you need breaks from art, maybe you are doing it wrong.

So you're saying artists should work 365 days a year? I'm sure they are very bad artists when they want to rest a bit from their work. For some people their lives aren't orbiting around art.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    I've heard of these things happening before.. vay.. vva..vacations? *fingers crossed* *Hisses*
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11

But if you need to feel the need to play games, watch films, etc. I don't consider that as a break.

everyone needs breaks from art, you will eventually lose motivation. might not happen in the beginning because you got so much to learn, but after some time you'll need breaks.

playing games and watching films is considered as a break. at least for me it is.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I've heard of these things happening before.. vay.. vva..vacations? *fingers crossed* *Hisses*

Did you mean to say vay-vva-vaccine ? It's flu season, man. Get a flu shot.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    rino wrote: »
    everyone needs breaks from art, you will eventually lose motivation. might not happen in the beginning because you got so much to learn, but after some time you'll need breaks.

playing games and watching films is considered as a break. at least for me it is.

:thumbup:
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    i used to take breaks more in school, like i wouldn't do personal work for a couple months at a time. didnt really hurt me in the long run.

i notice now that i go through phases of interest, sometimes i feel like modeling but sometimes it's easier to get lost in coding or writing. i try to start projects based on what type of work i actually feel like doing at the time. i think moving between mediums and interests helps you with constant output and avoiding burnout.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Everyone needs a break from what they do for a living / non-living. Treat your weekends as an excersise in relaxing, at least one of the days. Get out of your house, see some things. It's an easy thing to get trapped in, not just art. Most employers want you to get some free time away from your job, so that you come back fresher on the Monday. If that's not possible then it's a shit job.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    App design, got a few ideas, novel energy creation machines, have some theories on physics with super materials and blacksmithing some knives and swords I guess, gonna get some of that done over the winter.

But now I am rather happy making my own game as there's so many different things to do its hard to get bored of it, one day im doing chr design, next rigging animation, next hand painting tiled textures and of course coding which is refreshing and new to me.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    It's fine to take a break from doing what you normally do in art, but you don't need to take a break from creating. After all, it's hard to build up that momentum again. But if you don't have the energy for any sort of creating, at least be recharging your creativity with inspiration from awesome books, movies, games, or tech demos.
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Everyone needs a break from what they do for a living / non-living. Treat your weekends as an excersise in relaxing, at least one of the days. Get out of your house, see some things. It's an easy thing to get trapped in, not just art. Most employers want you to get some free time away from your job, so that you come back fresher on the Monday. If that's not possible then it's a shit job.

This!!! I forbid myself from doing anything that resembles "work" at weekends. It's so important to unwind, relax, see friends, appreciate the outdoors, go out and get drunk or whatever floats your boat :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I took a break after feeling completely drain of creative energy for about a year. I went and studied practical philosophy for 6 months and got my mind to do something else. It was like a hard reboot for me creatively and I started doing art tests and ended up with my current job a month after "graduation".

The "going study some random shit" part is hard when you don't have A. free education or B. a shit ton of money though. The activating your brain in a completely new way though,t that was the key for me.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I have found jumping around related disciplines but still keeping base with my focuses really helps, like lighting/code. Example, I am primarily a 3D Env Artist at heart, but at my current position I have been lucky enough to be able to jump over to lighting and tech. It has really helped me bring my environment personal studies to life. It given me a chance to get away from a mindless modeling workflow day in and day out (not saying modeling is easy, or that I am a master in any way at all, because I DEFINITELY am not, more so that its easy to get in a repetitive cycle just different shapes IMO), but also has taught me so much more about other disciplines. I have been lucky enough to be mentored by the studio tech lead, and work side by side with a very experienced lighting artist and both have guided me along this code/light path respectively. All the while, I would on and off work on personal projects in my free time on my modeling skills to stay current.

Also in my opinion, I feel that managing hobbies like hiking, cars, sports, general fitness, etc are crucial to keeping a fresh mind. Allows you to temp escape from your daily routine and get some fresh perspective.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just like with anything else in life...there needs to be balance.

Resetting your brain or charging it in a different way is good. Its honestly something I don't do enough...but when I do I feel re-energized creatively. Every time I go on a vacation I get super inspired. Not to mention...you just don't want to burn yourself out. Its not a good place to be in.

Completely disagree.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I once had quite a long break, wasn't really good for me, but short 2 - 4 week breaks can do you good I think, for me that's taking time off making 3D at home though, still have to do it at work.

problem is getting back on that horse, competitions usually do it for me, they kinda gives me the right amount of pressure to not slack off, which I kinda eventually do mostly, but it gets you back at it.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Aside from what I do at work I don't really have the time to do much personal art... Don't know if you consider that taking a break. I do like to squeeze in some small projects like sculpting rocks.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    as i do game design and art, I just switch between doing game design and art like you would in the gym when your legs are tired you switch to the arms. Else playing games for fun and research alike is keeping me alive i would say. Pretty much everything I do feels like Im progressing in some way and that feels nice. If im watching a TV show (which is very rare, i actually nearly only play games) I try to see their techniques of delivering story and notice the patterns, but thats just a cheap justification

Playing regularly keeps me going, but if it wasnt for MOBA games with their endless replayability and some FPS in between I wouldnt know what to play really to calm down
    Its frustrating to have so few games I find fun for a prolonged duration for myself as designer
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    If it wasn't for my job I'd take a very long break from digital art all together. Fecking sick of it. Want to get back to traditional and I am doing so in my free time, however this is making the time I spend doing digital even more painful...! Just want to be drawing.

*grumble...
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Dan Luvisi
    So now I live my life under somewhat of a code, as hokey as that sounds. My father once told me:

Every day you're not practicing your craft or working on it, someone that wants it much more is catching up with you.

You are given one chance at life, in a world of so many possibilities and opportunities for those willing to go the extra mile. I may be young, but I promise you, from the bottom of my (somewhat dark) heart, that when you find what you're passionate for, and what you pine to work on, every day will feel better than the next.

Don't settle, don't relax, and don't give in to the easy-life that can sometimes be incredibly attractive. Take every challenge and push yourself as hard as you can go, never get full, and always stay hungry.

And remember... What do you bleed for?

I think that's bullshit. We're humans and we are very complex. Especially when it comes to creativity. If there's a blockade, we can't just guilt force our way trough it. Believe me, I've tried. That made me loose the joy of making art.

Not settle, not slack of (when you have a good groove going) and not giving up are all great things! But life is about balance as well, and it's all different for everyone of us.
    There is a big difference between taking a break from art and taking the time to explore other things lol...

This may come as a surprise to you, but all of us are very different. Different cultures, different upbringings, different mental states. I just told my story and that was what helped me find that passion again. It's more then just doing game art and fining inspiration. It's about life and well being as well. I would NOT be sitting we're I'm sitting right now if I took the advice to power trough my art. A good life is key to great art, at least for me.

My time studying philosophy was not about fining out more about philosophy. It was about getting my brain to process something completely new and that inspired me to do what I love. A "break" is about finding new energy and new inspiration to do art. That exactly what I did.

Lol, yeah..
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    just +1 on the we are all different aspect.

in order to create and be productive, we need to feel as good as possible, motivated, on top of our game. Exactly like athletes, sometimes its good to work out like crazy, but when its important to produce, we might get worn out from practice. I try to be aware of that as much as possible. As many have said, balance is key and that balance is different from person to person.

When your batteries feel low, it might take just a day or two to feel fresh. Breaks are important. As a side note, some studies have shown that the more efficient people take as much as 15 minute breaks for every hour they work. Some companies might want to try that out : )
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Hey mates ! No intention of "necroing" but...

I guess I will write stories ! :D

This should help ! :D

I had done that all my childhood and and even had some nice degrees on some contests ( national and local) .

So why the hell not doing that a bit more ? :D

So if you guys need sophisticated, full or semi-realistic, emotional and long stories pay me a visit ! I prefer stories dark and humorous by the way ! :D

Ja nee ! :D
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Don't settle, don't relax, and don't give in to the easy-life that can sometimes be incredibly attractive. Take every challenge and push yourself as hard as you can go, never get full, and always stay hungry.

And remember... What do you bleed for?

This is absolute nonsense and the typical attitude of someone in their teens-20's that has the 'stamina' to sit, glued to their PC for 16-20 hours a day. sltrOlsson has pretty much nailed it, so I can't add more than that.

When I started I was happy to spend crazy amounts of time on my PC, but lately I feel I want to be on the PC a lot less. I still love this line of work and can't imagine doing anything else, but I guess value of life becomes more important as you get older.

Tan - if you need to take a break, then take a break... you'll come back much more refreshed and put your all into it... just try not to make the break period too long :)

...and I'll tell you something else, I bet if you spoke to some of the greatest artists in the industry they would have a happily balanced lifestyle, rather than spending every waking moment doing art!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...and I'll tell you something else, I bet if you spoke to some of the greatest artists in the industry they would have a happily balanced lifestyle, rather than spending every waking moment doing art!
    NOW. They have that NOW. Coming up, I'll bet they worked like crazy.

Nobody ever get to the top of their field working 40 hours a week.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Torch wrote: »
    Tan - if you need to take a break, then take a break... you'll come back much more refreshed and put your all into it... just try not to make the break period too long :)
    !

YES SIR ! :D
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    18lrvrfb471nxgif.gif

imagine eating chicken and chips every night for a decade or humping your girlfriend/boyfriend every night for a decade :poly122:

IC88I.gif
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    taking a break is cerntainly ok,
    what really confuses me how you have the "will"(?) to create awesome artwork AFTER 8-10hours of work
    after modelling 8-10hours straigth at work, i usually dont feel like modelling at home
    dont get me wrong, i love what i do and i have many ideas which i would like to make,
    but iam really exhausted after work and rather watch a movie or something like that
    if i do art, its mostly some quick stuff, like 10-30min things i want to test.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    taking a break is cerntainly ok,
    what really confuses me how you have the "will"(?) to create awesome artwork AFTER 8-10hours of work
    after modelling 8-10hours straigth at work, i usually dont feel like modelling at home
    dont get me wrong, i love what i do and i have many ideas which i would like to make,
    but iam really exhausted after work and rather watch a movie or something like that
    if i do art, its mostly some quick stuff, like 10-30min things i want to test.

i do personal work almost every day, by doing it before going to my job :)

you have to wake up earlier but that part gets easy, and having the extra energy makes a huge difference

that way too, after work is just for de-stressing, there's no productivity guilt.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    WarrenM wrote: »
    NOW. They have that NOW. Coming up, I'll bet they worked like crazy.

That's a fairly obvious point, but yes. My main underlying point was that its important to have balance, that's it. Likewise if you want to spend tons of time working doing little else and that makes you happy, then great :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My main underlying point was that its important to have balance, that's it.
    Right, and my point is that until you get where you want to be, balance is bullshit and will only hold you back.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Right, and my point is that until you get where you want to be, balance is bullshit and will only hold you back.

Can you give me an example of 'getting where you want to be' is? Do you think that an artist just gets to a certain point and goes, "Yep I've reached my potential. Time to take it easy!"

No, its a lifelong path - what has already been said by others in this thread is that everybody is different - if you want to spend your life working on art and that's it, you're entitled to, just like if you want to break up your day with other stuff and have more balance, you're also entitled to do that, for aspiring artists and veterans alike. Your opinion of 'balance is bullshit' is very subjective, if that's how you choose to conduct yourself then kudos to you, but others are different.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is why I generally don't argue this point as there's always someone who want to voraciously defend whatever lifestyle they've chosen. That's great, do what you like.

All I know is that the best artists, programmers, whoever that I've ever worked with didn't have much balance in their lives. 40 hours a week doesn't get you to the top of your field.

That's all I'll say in this thread. Thanks for responding!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Dude we're just having a disagreement, I am genuinely interested in hearing your opinion which is why I asked, sorry if it caused any offence or got heated. Anyway, I think we have made our points clear enough, that's cool :)
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    haha, good arguments guys!
    -I agree with you both.

If you have the energy and need to improve fast (because you need/want a different job), you should put more than 40 hours a week doing art.

BUT, at some point your body and your mind will need a rest from that intensive studying/push. In my experience at least.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All I know is that the best artists, programmers, whoever that I've ever worked with didn't have much balance in their lives. 40 hours a week doesn't get you to the top of your field.
    maybe you work with workaholics?
  • SecretPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe you work with workaholics?

Or maybe he works with fathers and mothers, don't want to offend anyone but from experience most game developers I have known are never well off financially, yet they are just satisfied with their current position. (Single, living with roommates still in their 30s, etc)

This might not makes sense for some, but working hard is not something you do just to get into a particular industry, work ethic should be your lifestyle and it reflects your career. If you get layoff and have an out of date portfolio or mediocre work, you have yourself only to blame.

A prime example of work ethic is with athletes, Some only work out during competition than usually get fat/out of shape after retirement, others continue to work out, not because they are getting paid, but because they sincerely enjoy it and have made it as essential as eating.

At the end of the day, difference of opinion and philosophy can pertain to why not everyone is just poor or rich/successful. Some get it others don't. I guess you can call that balance, imagine a world where everyone was successful and followed the same principles, not cool
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whether you have children or not, the idea that you need to put in more than 40 hours a week to actually be succesful at these skills is insane. i started very young, my practice was lethargic and spread over several years, maybe that's part of why i feel this way now. but i have seen people crunch and they don't usually come out more skilled. they come out tired, shitty and making more mistakes.

get sleep, see your kids, have some fun so that when you actually work you'll be awake and alert, paying attention to what you're doing... takes you way farther than just dumping hours into the office chair
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feel free to make the assumption that extra hours being advocated are useful hours working on skills, rather than simply clocking them sitting in the chair doing familiar and unproductive things.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    i do personal work almost every day, by doing it before going to my job :)

you have to wake up earlier but that part gets easy, and having the extra energy makes a huge difference

that way too, after work is just for de-stressing, there's no productivity guilt.

im curious what time you wake up and how long you spend on it?
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    You definitely need to put more than 40 hours a week into any type of skill if you want to get exceptionally good at it, but it's also important to remember that doing so can be dangerous as well due to things like burnout.

There's no reason you can't do personal work outside of your job and live a balanced life at the same time. The important thing at the end of the day is to be happy with yourself because no matter what, your own life is more important than any job. Some people have fun making art or programming, if they weren't working, they'd be doing the same thing anyway simply because they are passionate about it. If they are happy with spending 80 hours a week on art or code, or anything else, then there's nothing wrong with that.

Similarly, if somebody wants to relax after a long day at work, there's nothing wrong with that either. I'm sure most people end up somewhere between the two extremes where they will work on personal projects after work on some days, and relax on other days.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    taking time off is important, but you shouldn't take too long of a break, I feel it can really hard to stay movitaved to start anything