Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Evac Aircraft

alex1111
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
alex1111 polycounter lvl 9
Hey everyone, I'm working on a evac aircraft for a class. I'd appreciate some feedback! Here are my references and latest progress. I'm currently in high poly and we are going to move forward to lows this week.

Reference:

XGIZiWF.jpghb0m2HX.jpgmike_hill_03.jpg

Current Progress:

UgqLHoh.pngvtsgzta.png36IZvte.png

Replies

• mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice so far I think it will look cool with that colour Scheme.

A lot of your edges look way to sharp though they don't look quite right and won't bake very well. The metal plates you are using for the front section of the ship look a little odd too they don't really fit the smooth design at all.
  • alex1111
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!
    Here's my update from last night, I added detail into those 3 insets, I added an escape hatch for scale and how he can get in and out, with the texturing of that cargo piece of the bottom, it will make more sense for the evacuees to be transported in it. I have a rough idea of how I want to break down my materials. I just got started working on the low of one of my pieces. I did bring down some of the iterations on the edges, for baking. I gotta get going on that low.

uEBYHFu.pngGPVolrj.png?1wZ9rEBj.pngP7slowF.png
  • alex1111
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on my lows, gonna finish these up and then move on to UVs.

45hh0YL.png0GD6ker.pngEpojsUW.pnghKK6OkD.png7WqFrt4.png2DpiR60.pnggL5ZFxj.pngo7SxZgL.pngQvd46n4.jpg
  • alex1111
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I continued my progress on the low. On the cockpit, for the non-planar, I added a few edge loops, when I would triangulate without these edge loops it would look too sharp. For the fifth image I added the inset and removed some non-silhouette altering edge loops. Will add some more chamfers to the back and a few more minor things.

On this first image, I just noticed a few n-gons that are messing with the smoothing group and normals.

yJUgEdz.pngKZmpmhW.pngjYczXv2.pngzPhEBeW.pnglqSv5ah.pngiDp2NRr.png
  • alex1111
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are the rest of the lows. I checked for n-gons, adjusted almost all of the uvs that had edges added or removed. Unless there are any major changes, gonna go ahead and pack everything.

elrdFBj.pngNEkwBSg.pngv0xLkCL.png8nlNHcs.pngtUgP0wy.png
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    Might be cleaner to bake or paint a bolt onto a details normal map and then just copy/paste them around your main normal map to avoid some of them from not baking properly.
  • alex1111
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @swarm22 yeah, I'll try both methods just in case, thanks! I plan to bake them all at school since we have tons of better computers, I'll use one computer per texture sheet xD gets the job done way faster!
  • alex1111
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here it is assembled in Marmoset, I'm working on them textures.

klaTidZ.jpg
    Reference for texturing:

VAkHEbX.jpg8vsszlY.jpgk0pqbaO.jpgKYYe3BD.jpgHfAQLyr.jpghb0m2HX.jpg
  • alex1111
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I got my base done, gonna go into photoshop and add decals and some painted stripes, dirt, grime, and all that fun stuff.

uYn8Mc5.pngNBvkiUA.pngftwtEIP.png
  • alex1111
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add more stickers and labels, dust, worked on the cockpit, and more small scale detail.

fVhzlJv.pngTzDOWAN.pngA3rMZcV.png
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I like how on the concept of the chopper, the lines are actually painted, where as your piece looks nice, it only appears as though the panels are different colors....meaning that there isn't any instances where a color line passes through multiple panels. (Ex: on the heli the diagonal stripe cuts across multiple panels).

The material detail seems lacking compared to the original concept art. The model is excellent, yet the finish is too matte, I assume you'll be adding spec masks?