Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Illustration

[Riot Art Contest] - Vi - To The Rescue

Hi all.

I am going to do an illustration of Vi during a stage written in her lore where she helps save the mine workers from a collapsed tunnel.

Not 100% about anything yet I think I will look at re-composing the images and treat this as first draft. I plan on making Vi take up more screen realistate.

I also want to add some tech so that she hasn't just freed the seven dwarves. The minors are just placeholders, as once I get a feeling for the tech I will update them to reflect the same sort of designs.

Vi_To_The_Rescue_WIP_01_Silhouette.jpgVi_To_The_Rescue_WIP_02_Background.jpgVi_To_The_Rescue_WIP_03_Rough_Colours.jpg

Replies

• Xidon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the new composition I will go with. I will now start drawing her up, then colour flats after that.Vi_To_The_Rescue_WIP_04_New_Composition.jpg
  • Xidon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Here is the start of some rough colours going down (with white outlines still overlaid). Plans are to keep building on the colours some more, change the hairstyle to be closer to the original design rather tahn this over "swished" style. I will also look at starting the gloves in 3D to help with this image. Not sure if at this stage I will just use the 3D model to aid the perspective, or whether I detial them in 3D and render them out also.

Vi_To_The_Rescue_WIP_05_Rough_Colours_01.jpg
  • Xidon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, still can't commit at this stage and continuously developing it.

Here is another look, a litte more colour dev and posing work.

Vi_To_The_Rescue_WIP_06_Rough_Colours_02.jpg
  • chewie105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chewie105 polycounter lvl 3
    her left legs seems kinda weird. maybe it's the hip? or the direction that it's turning
  • Xidon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Chewie.

I know what you mean. It may be the lighting also. I thik the seperation of her outer leg over her inner leg isn't that clear at the moment. I will definitely keep it in mind. I also have brought the waist in on the right a bit to conform to the LOL proportions more. I may need to re-look at this to make sure it all works.
  • blue_skies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blue_skies polycounter lvl 4
    Yeah, that leg is definitely janky. I get that you're trying to get the turned-in leg look, but that needs to be VERY slight. We should still be seeing it mostly from the front. (or just trim down the curve on the right edge of it... looking back at your initial thumbs it makes more sense). Sometimes when I'm drawing a character in a crazy pose, I get up and try to actually do the pose myself to see if it's possible. :P

Loving the pose though, and the colours are looooovely. :)
  • Xidon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Blue_skies. Yea I am expecting that when I adjust the shape of the highlight of that leg that it will become less strange. Currently mocking up the hextech gloves in 3D. So looking to do a post up of that today. Then I will use that to paint over and contiune with the painting.

Also thanks for you lovely comments ont he colours and pose. I have been worried about it for a while now, but I think it is pretty much there now. So aside from the leg issue and the 3D gloves, then I will be able to move on with the painting..
  • Xidon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hye guys,
    Just a quick update with colour progress. I haven't progress much as I was in 3D today getting a mock up of the gauntlets for a perspective paint over.
    Here it is anyway.Vi_To_The_Rescue_WIP_07_Rough_Colours_03.jpg
  • Xidon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

ANother quick update. Been jigging around a bit of stuff and working on the fists now.
    Let me know what you think about the jacket change and the proportions. Hopefully there will be quite a bit more for you all to see next update.
    Vi_To_The_Rescue_WIP_08_Rough_Colours_04.jpg
  • pouchm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming together awesomely!
  • Xidon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jelligeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelligeth polycounter lvl 3
    Her chest piece is looking great :)
  • Xidon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jelligeth. I hope the rest of her comes out as well as that area did. I also may be changing it to be more inline with the original design. Since raising the jacket and revealing more of the chest plate, I feel my design is rather weaker than that of the original.
  • Xidon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Been giving the fist some love. Let me know what you think!

Vi_To_The_Rescue_WIP_08_Rough_Colours_05.jpg
  • ArtPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtPotato polycounter lvl 4
    Really liking the progress with this piece. Strong forms and colours. I dig it!

It would be cool to see some other supportive story elements re-introduced with the new composition you've got going. This composition shot is much stronger than your initial mock ups but now there aren't any indications of her helping save the mine workers from a collapsed tunnel.

Keep it up!