Home General Discussion

Looking for a companion

Hello,

After releasing a couple of simple 2D adventure games, by working on my own I really want to move on and work on something more advance. I am pretty skilled in working on UDK, got a degree in design and I know a thing or 2 about modelling (really bad at code, thou).
The main thing is - I really would like to team up with someone. You know, find a co-worker friend to make awesome games with. I haven't got any plan or a GDD laid out in front of me. I just want to meet an enthusiastic person to brainstorm with and come up with something spectacular.

Sooooo, where do I find those? (Keep in mind I'm really bad at socializing.)
Or at least, tell me the story on how you found your team.

Kind regards,
Vitaly Margevics.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Hey Vitaly,

Awesome that you're reaching out!

I think it might help interested parties see your work. Do you have any of your games or any information about your games online?
  • ShadowXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah.
    Here are a couple of links:

"Road so Far"

A demo of "Biblioteca"

Here is a site of my aswell: www.vitalym.com
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    This is my suggestion. Get UE4, start on your own, learn some blueprints, learn some basic coding, make something!

once you have something thats resembles a game project, do some "promotion". start a youtube account, make a blog, post here on PC, and if people find your project interesting I can assure you there will be those that would love to help/join you.

its a lot easier to attract people to work with you if you have a proof of concept.

:) good luck!

Edit: Yes! UE4, not UDK, damn, ive been writing those letters for so long its in my muscle memory =P
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think you meant get UE4.
  • ShadowXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing is - I need someone to brainstorm with, a fun person to start something off and then gather a team if needed. I am not just looking for a programmer.

And yes, I'm getting a UE4.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    blazed wrote: »
    The main problem with making games is you really need someone that knows how to use an engine well and knows he's coding.

It's very hard to find someone like that I've tried to co-op with with someone to do all the 3d stuff whilst they did the programming stuff but not much luck there, and I won't touch "royalty projects" with a barge pole, been there done that... no thanks.

+1 to that. I would kill to find someone who knows CryEngine coding and wants to collaborate.
  • Avvi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    Do you know TIGSource? It's a forum, probably the most crowded, that gathers indie-minded people.
    When you find someone, try entering Ludum Dare or some other jam to see how you both work. To make sure, for example, that you understand each other's methods, priorities (some will be game-design-crazy and wanting as simplistic graphics as possible to save precious time, while others will see such approach as too restricting).

I strongly recommend:

Alec Holowka on collaborating with the right people - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynw4DYg_w48"]Alec Holowka - Indie House / Night In The Woods [October 2013] - YouTube[/ame]
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Hey ShadowXX,

Game development tools are now powerful and affordable. It is more likely that you'll just waste time brainstorming with a partner, fighting over various ideas and running in circles instead of getting things done.

Instead, I encourage you to download Unreal Engine 4, learn how to do everything all by yourself, start small and keep making bigger and bigger projects. But the 2 most valuable skills are game programming and 3D modeling...

Please don't get me wrong mate... I am not trying to "deny" you here or something.... buuut...

It took YEARS for me to get a good grip on modelling ( and only character modelling at that) so how can someone learn how to model ( all forms of it), rig, animate, script/ code, level design, compose and edit music and audio, write great stories, storyboard without spending a nice... LIFETIME... is beyond my reason.
  • Ehnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehnn polycounter lvl 6
    Instead, I encourage you to download Unreal Engine 4, learn how to do everything all by yourself, start small and keep making bigger and bigger projects. But the 2 most valuable skills are game programming and 3D modeling...

let me offer a differing opinion - every time at game colleges or IGDA meetings you meet so, so many generalists trying to get into the industry or make their own thing, and with the exception of a VERY few, they don't tend to have anything impressive to wow anyone

I think it boils down to two reasons
    the obvious is they have to split their time so progression on each field is at 30% speed
    and maybe the worse point - calling oneself a generalist gives you a psychological escape from learning the really difficult topics in a trade. as a programmer, when a new technology comes out that I don't have mastery over, it's inconceivable not to learn and master it. good artists have that same sense of drive. and it's never easy learning new tools and ideas that you're not used to, but we'll push through because of the responsibility to be just as competent as anyone else. but generalists have a magical escape excuse from that mindset with "well I don't have to spend hours and hours learning this difficult skill, because I don't have to be the BEST at art, I do programming pretty well after all", and as soon as you have that excuse it's much harder to sit down and push yourself for hours. I think it really keeps generalists from reaching their full potential, in a subtle almost invisible way

sidenote because I don't want to hijack the thread, and a few people mentioned they were looking: I'm looking for collaborators, especially ones who can do hand painted 3d. pm for details!
  • ceramiceastman
    please tell me different between 4d and 5d?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.