cgphoenix polycounter lvl 2
Shield modeled in blender Comments & Criticism

Replies

• achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    make it more like this
    crest_militia_shield_preview.jpg

or find a shield you really like, and try to make it look more like it.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your shield is super noisy and lacks any meaningful detail.

The texture almost makes it look like its covered in hair.

What were you going for with the shield...what type of materials?
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    This is kinda hard to comment. What were you going for ? Except the shape this has nothing to do with a shield. I can't told if it's metal, or wood. why would the red paint still be perfect but the rest of the shield covered with moss and hair and spider web noise. Red painted become white and chips and discoloured way before any moss appears on it.

It feel like you've done the simpliest geo ever and try to hide it with putting a tones of layer of weird stuff on it. There's no depth, no definition.

Reference are important.
    old-wooden-shield-isolated-white-31984487.jpg
  • cgphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was my first test in Substance Painter got to mit I may have went overboard with it lol.
    I did start off with a idea of making something like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time shield but it took a form of it own and I am happy wit the style it nice and simple.
    The red is some kind of crystal and the blue is metal. I was aiming for a bit of a cartoon effect but with some realism. I did not like the spider webs. I kind of wanted strong colors in there but yeah I can seen now there should been some chips and less noise.
    Ok back to the drawing board I will retexture it and take all of your input thanks :) and I will come back with an update
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Wait, before you do anything post a reference, don't just wing a texture, ref is really important.

Show people what you're going for, then stick to it as best you can.
  • cgphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    creeping-vines-brick-wall-16780462.jpg
    ertale-lava-peter_1403_600x450-e1287395570916.jpg
    47cf38a463bbad1415a236bc170d36aa_i.jpg
    Hylian_Shield_(Twilight_Princess).png
    397408_original.jpg

msBUtUs.jpg
    Resident-Evil-5-Jill-Valentine.jpg
    smoke_ball_blurred_shadow_light_ultra_3840x2160_hd-wallpaper-14995.jpg
    tumblr_n69n7ev8IA1rew72uo1_500.jpg
    uGpq0.jpg
    viney-wall-beacon-hill.jpg
    1281-large.jpg
    peeling-paint-4.jpg
    peeling-paint-13825241.jpg

Ok here are the reference what I have got at the mo. I am happy with the Shield model what I have got at the mo so I will work on the texturing for now but I will need to model some kind of way to hold it as there are no straps for it.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    That is a lot of different ideas. I would maybe boil it down to 2-3 things to focus on. a "rusty lava painted metal energy shield with veins and red gooy stuff on it" is quite a mouthful.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Less is better. you're going for too much with million of texture. try working with reference and doing the same it will help your learning the creation design process.