Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Illustration

[Riot Art Contest] - Zyra

Zyra

JJIe9Qk.jpg

WbH5RwP.jpg

DMipCBe.jpg

Some process~ between sketch and color was flat colors

3rd image is still rough work in progress

Replies

• barawong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its the Naomi! cant wait to see the final :D
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :O Looking great! saw this yesterday on facebook ^^ so i was waiting to see her face ahaha, following this.
  • blue_skies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blue_skies polycounter lvl 4
    Damn, all the Zyra pieces are so... luscious.

Looking great. I would suggest moving the whole composition down a bit though.. there's a big chunk of empty nothing taking up a lot of the bottom left right now, and the character herself feels a little squished towards the top of the composition.
  • naomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdWLvqJ.jpg

did a little more between work and things.. far to go :) Just update
  • viko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viko polycounter lvl 2
    looks awessome! can't wait to see finished. Naomi always killing =D
  • viniciusbortoletto
    Nice brush strokes and lighting. I just think Zyra's pose looks a little stiff. Maybe because I can't see where she's laying on yet.
  • MaoAkari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaoAkari polycounter lvl 3
    Dat colours *o*
    I love it
  • Endcar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endcar polycounter lvl 5
    How's it going my friend?

Love the color palette and the atmosphere you've been able to place in your piece *superb*. Definitely screams "Zyra".

The characters silhouette is nice so far. However like always theres room for improvement as all artists know. Your doing some great illustration work however.

1: The Golden Mean, where is your point of interest? What I've circled is what I seem to immediately look at when I'm not talking about the rule of thirds. In your painting I'm drawn to this sort of flower, a leaf at the end of a branch, and the light that hits the skin of the character brightest. However its got this weird triangle effect where I'm immediately poised to go from the face to this smudged flower and up to this lonely leaf and then back to the face... I'm no longer looking at the rest of the painting and I'm not sure if there's supposed to be a story told. Here's a video to look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swHOxX1kJ7s

2: The Rule of Thirds, currently this rule can me smudged a little and doesn't need to be completely obeyed. One problem is how big the canvas is and how much your point of interest takes up compared to everything else. I decided to take it into photoshop to see what would happen if I cropped it a little smaller to find any interesting spots and any issues that seem to pop up when doing so. As you can see on the right there are three cropped images of your painting and you'll notice that it gets closer and closer to your character and it increases the focal point to just her. This allows you to play with her personality even more.

3: Was what one other person had already pointed out... How stiff she looked. For her I would have to resemble Zyra to a more badass version of poison ivy and so she's seductively dangerous. You can even look up mythological creatures like that of Nymphs and you'll find a treasure trove of references. Pull out the elbow enough so the wrist looks like its wresting on something. You can also play with her flowing hair and the right leg a little more. The left one looks pretty good just feels like the rest needs an extra push.

4: Is back to the amount of space your character takes up compared to other objects. I do understand this is a work in progress just pointing it out. Your character if taken and made into a percentage number takes up less than 20% of your canvas while this branch of a sort takes up almost half the canvas. This can be easily remedied by cropping the overall image smaller or make the branch itself a bit smaller to break it up into several vines much like the splash art you see at the bottom.

5: If I try to look around the canvas the flow of the branches and vines will always take me off the page or around the character and so I never get a glimpse of her unless I concentrate back on the light source hitting her skin. This can somewhat be a little irritating on the eyes.

I hope this helps in any way. If not I do apologize, either way keep it up and I can't wait to see the completed version. Full power to yah my friend. I also placed the concept art made for League to give you some more idea's as to all the details that cover her body. Thumbs up bro!

ZyraCritique_zpsc8d33d84.jpg~original
  • naomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gosh thanks endcar for your in depth feedback... I may just go back to the drawing board : )

and thanks to all the other feedbacks!
  • Endcar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endcar polycounter lvl 5
    Don't give up here. I see a lot of promise and this one did really well with color and lighting.
  • naomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rkTDLQx.jpg

CwLWHTU.jpg

2 more random sketches.. kind of leaning towards the laying down one..

meanwhile might continue with the already colored one. i just had to get my eyes off it :)