Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique My Entry level Demoreel

th_Ron_Freeman_3DArt_reel_07_2014.mp4

This is the demoreel I have been sending out to find a job as an entry level 3d artist. Not for any AAA companies but for smaller developers. I'm not looking to win any competition, I just want to show I'm good enough to get my foot in the door. I also have a very old PC that cannot use textures any higher than 1024 resolution. Let me know what you think.

Replies

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    It's not bad, but there's nothing there that will put you above the hoards of other people looking for an entry level position. I don't mean to be harsh, but you have a lot of work to do before you're likely to find a job.

Your textures in particular need a lot of work. Don't let your computer be an excuse. A four hundred dollar computer is adequate, if certainly not ideal, to do game art on. If there's really no way to scrape together that much money, than look at the art style of mobile games and try to mimic that.

Also, portfolios, not reels, are standard for 3d artists in the games industry. You only want to have a reel if you're showing moving work (animation or vfx).
  • Drgreenethumb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drgreenethumb polycounter lvl 9
    I will have to agree with Meloncov. There is a lot here that needs work. In terms of texturing i don't see any type of material definition. That is what really makes work stand out and look awesome. Also the lighting in your scenes is one of the other things that is holding your work back. It seems like it is default lighting and that makes it look like you don't care about your work which i doubt is true. Be proud of what you make and make it look sweet. Look up 3 point lighting and post processing. Good luck brah we are all goin make it.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    You need a website, something like carbon made is fine. I don't want to see a movie of props. Renders are ideal.

I'm afraid that I'm not going to hire anyone with the attitude of "I'm not looking to win any competition, I just want to show I'm good enough to get my foot in the door."

I want to hire amazing people or people who want to be amazing and have the potential to be so.

What are your computer specs? Does it really hold you back that much?
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are my PC specs.

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00Hz 2.99 GHz
    RAM: 1.00 GB
    System Type: 32-bit Operating System
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm afraid that I'm not going to hire anyone with the attitude of "I'm not looking to win any competition, I just want to show I'm good enough to get my foot in the door."

True but what I mean is there are artists that make games like "Bioshock" and there are artists that make low budget games like "Pirates of the Burning Sea" which doesn't demand as much detail, however those artists still get paid for what they do.
    Although I would like to get to "bioshock" level some day, I realize my skills are not good enough at the moment but I still want to work as an artist.

I know a guy who works for Zynga and his art is nowhere near "bioshock" level.
  • Kdawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kdawg polycounter lvl 7
    I am a student, and I do not work in the industry yet. I will offer a critique on your demo, since I am also working on my demo right now. Take my advice as you will, since I probably don't know as much as most people on here ;)

I would cut the static images, it's a demo reel, I want to see stuff moving! I find having still images breaks up the flow too much. Keep the static shots for a more traditional portfolio.
    As Drgreenthumb said, if you are going to show texture work, make it pop, define those materials better.
    The city environment and the mech are the most interesting pieces. Work on their presentation, keep it consistant the way you show the models/wireframes. I don't really need to see those spinning arms. Everything is very grey, nothing pops, or keeps me interested.
    I would definitely spend more time on this. Check out some professional demo reels, that will give you a better idea on how to proceed!

Also, aim high! Don't say I want to be good enough, want to be the best! Because the people who get the jobs are the ones who push themselves, and offer the best. You may not be "bioshock" level, but everything you do should be a step to get there!
    Don't give up!
  • Zieg_Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zieg_Reborn triangle
    Unfortunately you have to understand that there are thousands upon thousands of people graduating from 3d art programs across North America yearly, with very few job openings relative to the amount of graduates.

In order to set yourself apart you are going to have to aim for a much higher quality bar then your current reel. I'm sure there is an outside chance of you getting hired with this; if you know the right people you can technically get hired without even having a reel.

To start, focus on one, high end environment/character. Showcase your modelling, sculpting, as well as texturing skills in smart ways. There are a ton of resources here on Polycount as well as a plethora of tutorials on the internet on ways to improve all of your skill sets.

To round it out, as soon as your first piece is done, work on another. Aim for something completely different to round out your skill set. If you made a sci fi character, aim for an organic one, preferably of the opposite gender. If you made an organic environment (forest, mountainside, etc.) then aim for a hard-surface based environment. This will round out your skill set and make you more attractive for employers.

First and foremost I would work on your texturing. Pick one part of your first piece and make it from start to finish, and make a forum post on polycount to get critiques and help as you go.

Personally, if this reel were sent to me at my studio, I wouldn't hire you.

Also, you may not have a reel that's AAA quality entering into the industry, but you should be working as long and hard as you can to produce one. You may surprise yourself, if you apply yourself and work at it.

Sorry for the hard critiques, but I hope this gives you some direction.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I'd say the texturing needs work. Also, it's a shame that your most detailed props and environments are only models and not textured and polished to completion.

I made the same mistake when I first started modeling and would only produce and show untextured work because I thought at the time that modeling was the most important part. Texturing everything shows that you can see a model through to completion.

Proper UVing, baking, and texturing is half the battle, if not more. I'd focus on polishing your textures and UVmap/texture the more complicated models and environments in your portfolio. I'd say AO and wireframes is fine, but only with the finished textured piece right next to it.

Jumping from the simple low-poly stuff being textured to more complicated models that are untextured kind of implies that you gave up or the model was too difficult for you to see through to its finished stages.

That said, best of luck!
  • cgartland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgartland polycounter lvl 11
    Ditch the first 2 models, or move them to the end. I'd stop watching there if I was looking for an employee. Start with something impressive.

You need to finish texturing the robot, gun and environment, then work on your presentation. Nobody hires a modeler who can't texture anymore.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all your feedback. I'm surprised how many of you like the Mining drone. It was one of my first models. I don't even know if I have the file anymore. It was thrown in at the end because most job postings I saw asked for 5 or more models.

That was also back when Modelers did not have to texture. There was such thing as Modelers, texture artists and Lighters. It appears that Modelers have become more like "generalists" in the past years. That can be a thread all on it's own lol.

I think due to popular demand I will remake that Mining Drone and texture it.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Animesh wrote: »
    True but what I mean is there are artists that make games like "Bioshock" and there are artists that make low budget games like "Pirates of the Burning Sea" which doesn't demand as much detail, however those artists still get paid for what they do.

Detail has very little to do with quality. From my view point, quality represents demonstration of exceptional skills in modeling, texturing, lighting, sculpting, materials etc...

I would suggest not to base your goals on outliers that are below industry standards.

Personally, I would ditch the demo reel since it adds nothing to the presentation that couldn't be illustrated with still images.

Overall, everything looks very basic. If you're going for the low-poly (not sculpted) route then you should demonstrate some painting skills in your textures.

Finish each asset before putting them on the demo/portfolio. Majority of your demo is showcasing untextured work. You need to be exceptionally proficient in all aspects of the creation process to be competitive in the job market.

Your low-poly models look good, from here I would put more focus on texturing and showcasing some sculpting skills.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The word "masterpiece" didn't refer to the work of a master in a craft, but to that of a journeyman aspiring to become a master. For many, it was the best work they would ever do; unlike later work, they could spend virtually unlimited time perfecting the piece until they were ready to present it for judgement.

For a beginning artist - or recent graduate - your portfolio is your masterpiece. Art directors expect you to have spent far more time working on the pieces than you'd normally have in a production environment, and they'll judge you accordingly. Thus, your bar is much higher than you'd expect; the limiting factor for low-budget games isn't so much artist skill as time (and money, which mostly provides the time...)