Home General Discussion

Tools for game character creation

Hello you lovely people. I'm currently doing a research project into tools for character creation in game development. I've been pointed software such as Marvelous Designer, Substance Designer, Quixel Suite and Houdini and am wondering if there is any other software that is frequently used or software that you believe could/should be used in the pipeline for 3D character creation.

I understand that this would depend on the engine and hardware being used, as well as the overall art style and genre for the game being created. As of now this is leaning towards a 3RD person action game geared towards the Playstation 4 and Xbox One, with the engine being Unreal. This will be concentrated on more in the future stages of this project, and as of now I am looking towards an overview of the software that could be used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if there is anything I am missing or should veer away from, please don't be hesitant to tell me. Thank you!

Replies

• GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    Zbrush
    Mudbox
    3Dcoat
    Blender
    Maya
    Max
    XSI
    Silo
    Sculptr-...Zbrush

To name some

Theres also this
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Tools
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I use:
    3ds Max for polygonal modeling
    Zbrush for detailing\organics
    3dCoat for retopology
    UV Layout for unwrapping
    Marmoset 2 for displaying models
    Photoshop for texturing
  • crowdome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the responses guys! I'm glad to see the software stated here complies with what I've found so far.

I'm wondering if there's any slightly different software that may fall outside of the "big names" that people may use, or if there's any software that's been re-purposed and can fit into your workflows.

Thanks again guys!
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    crowdome wrote: »
    I'm wondering if there's any slightly different software that may fall outside of the "big names" that people may use, or if there's any software that's been re-purposed and can fit into your workflows.

Oh yeah, absolutely.There are really too many different tools that could be used than you could name. I think Greysev really covered most of the major ones (except photoshop). I mean, literally every 3d modeling, sculpting, or painting/image editing software COULD be used in some abstract way in a character modeling workflow.

Also, as far as reporpused software, something that comes to mind is Marvelous Designer, a clothing design tool being used a lot by character artists now. Also 3d scan middleware is a big part of some big studio's character art pipeline.

Also: no one really mentioned normal baking yet, so there's xNormal. Then there's nDo, dDo, substance designer, and other tools that help in the texture pipeline.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    It might be easier to think of it in terms of categorizing the tools and then making a hierarchy of those lists.

Sculpting:
    -Zbrush
    -Mudbox
    etc etc

SubD:
    -Max
    -Maya
    -Modo
    etc etc

Texturing:
    -Photoshop

Generic Texturing: