polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Lokidottir polycounter lvl 5

Replies

• Lokidottir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again, so a quick thing to show what I have been working on :)

quick mood board
    Building1MoodBoard2.jpg

rough block out of a possible building design
    Building1Self%20Crit.jpg

Stone Lanten, fully high, low poly and textured playing with Quixel, didn't work out right so going to redo this using photoshop only :)
    StoneLanten_withSnow.jpg

any crits welcome, cheers for looking
    Lokidottir
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I'm not sure of your skill level but this seems like a bad idea.

I always find that at the end of a project, I have learned a lot that will make the next one much better. I feel like you're just going to end up with a meh project by trying to do so much at once.. and probably burn out.

I'd re-consider.

Okay, re-reading your post. Don't do it. Pick a nice small scene that you can develop your skills with. Then, once they're developed, move onto this project. You're going to run into a ton of technical problems and quit.
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    beefaroni wrote: »

I always find that at the end of a project, I have learned a lot that will make the next one much better. I feel like you're just going to end up with a meh project by trying to do so much at once.. and probably burn out.

I'd re-consider.

Very good point, a long term project like that, the stuff you can do by the end of it will make the stuff at the beginning look simple
    and for consistency you'll have to keep going back or dulling down your level at the end to match the beginning.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Kel-Shaded wrote: »
    Very good point, a long term project like that, the stuff you can do by the end of it will make the stuff at the beginning look simple
    and for consistency you'll have to keep going back or dulling down your level at the end to match the beginning.

Just to add and REALLY give you an idea. Here is my first and second env.

Don't do this :D

Env 01
    http://www.chrisstone3d.com/img/udk_enviornment/udk_enviornment_second_floor.png

Env 02
    http://i.imgur.com/pXkrXBT.jpg
  • Lokidottir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Beefaroni and Kel-Shaded

Thank you for posting :)

In answer to your concerns, I agree that it is a big project and I could let it run away from me if I am not careful, but coming from a background of architecture and masterplaning I am fairly used to large scale projects and breaking them down into smaller parts to work with (it's just this time I don't have to write out all the reports and documentation that goes with it). I know that gaming environments are a completely different creature (although I am looking forward to applying my real world knowledge of architecture to game art as much as it will let me)
    Pick a nice small scene that you can develop your skills with. Then, once they're developed, move onto this project. You're going to run into a ton of technical problems and quit.

That's the overall arcing idea of this, each piece be it a rock, a piece of foliage, architectural detail, or an area of water I will explore in their own time before finally moving on to the end project and bringing together all I have learned.
    I figure the only way I can learn is getting my hands dirty and facing any problems that come my way and working with how I have learnt in the past, I am a very much throw myself to the sharks kinda creature lols :D

Yeah to be honest a lot of the design development work and exploration (i.e. pretty much all of the stuff for the next 6-8 months will not make the final cut for the end project) but depending on how they turn out they may make it on my portfolio as individual mini projects in their own right :)

Hopefully over the next few months ease any initial concerns :D
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Heh alright, good luck..
  • Lokidottir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you, btw, spotted the scifi Deck thread before nice work you got going on there :-)
  • Lokidottir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again Polycount :)

So over the past two weeks I have been learning as much as I can about rocks, never made them before and to be honest I knew there is an art to them (love looking through the Rawk thread here in Polycount, and after working on my own, I take hat off to you guys), I just didn’t realise just how much nutting head against wall would be involved :D

RockDevelopment.jpg

I want to take individual characteristics into account when recreating the look as in what forms need to be modelled, mid-level detail such as cracks or chunks broken off, the surface texture (smooth, rough, or sandy like) and colouration, this is all the fun and games I am learning at the moment. (to this end I have been putting together a working document in my downtime from modelling, researching and understanding rocks so that I can use it as a go to reference for when it comes to creating materials in the future so they will be at hand when I need to refresh my mind, this will also be followed up with other documents on all the subject I will be covering over the coming year, for example wood, metal, foliage, bricks, fabric etc. etc.)

But for now trying to learn them all is a long and ongoing process, so choosing to relate materials to the particular end scene I have in mind and which type of rock formation would suit the environment and concentrated on looking for reference regarding this alone. From the look of the overall scene, it seems that sedimentary rock was a good choice and would lead to similar results, Limestone in particular would suit the end scene with its tonal range. [This image with the different weathering of the Limestone is a good example of unweathered left and weathered right]

Weathering_Limestone_State_College_PA_Comparison%20of%20unweathered%20left%20and%20weathered%20right.jpg

I started in Mudbox, but chose to move into ZBrush as I am a complete novice at this program and figured it would be a good time to learn it. Below is the fully low polyed and textured rock that I think is my best attempt so far, trying to replicate a believable style bolder (much harder than first thought it would be, and I'm still no way near close). The low poly is sitting at 344 polys and using a 1K texture I’m sure I can get away with a 512 but for now I would like to keep it at 1K maps (while I’m learning) the seamless texture is the tileable rock texture form http://www.polygonblog.com/seamless-texture/

LargeRock.jpg

Loved using ZBrush's decimation master :)

WireFrameSetup.jpg

From this point I will be attempting to create a small rock scene based on the Guoliang Tunnel, I will be looking to recreate this image

The%20Guoliang%20Tunnel.jpg

Trying to match the lighting, colouration of the rock and level of detail, I will also be using this opportunity to start to learn Unreal Engine. This should pretty much push me from where I am at the moment to where I need to be before I move on the next subject matter, and hopefully a starting point for my future portfolio. I will be posting updates as often as I can so any pointers/crits are most welcome :)

Cheers
    Lokidottir