Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zbrush Owl girl attempts PLEASE CRITICIZE

The overall concept of the character is a former slave girl who became a wandering street rat after killing her slave owner and running away. I already have some improvements in-mind, but let me know what you think. All criticism welcome, I demand brutal honesty.

artemisia_zbrush4.jpg?w=590

artemisia_zbrush5.jpg?w=590

artemisia_zbrush6.jpg?w=590

artemisia_zbrush7.jpg?w=590

artemisia_zbrush1.jpg

artemisia_zbrush2.jpg

Replies

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Cool idea.

Lose the red wax matcap. It accentuates details in strange ways, you're better off sticking to something more basic.

It looks like you jumped too quickly to fine detail/alphas. A lot of what you have seems somewhat blobby and lacking form - resist the urge to jump into small details too early, really nail down the overall structure, and then spend time adding secondary forms first.
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    i would also look at some reference sheets for anatomy
    eventhough the character is not human you should still go a lot
    with correct anatomy

i always recommend using this:
    https://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/anatomy.php?menu=184&sub=186

here you can find nearly everything for human anatomy!
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    That is freaking terrifying
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Umm... Use multiple subtools.

Say.
    1. Body + limbs
    2. Head
    3. Shirt on top of the body (1)
    4. Arm wraps on top of the arms (1)
    5. Leg wraps on top of the legs (1)
    6. Hands/Claws
    7. Pants on top of the lower body (1)

etc.
  • Kdawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kdawg polycounter lvl 7
    I very much like her face, it's beautiful in a creepy kind of way.
    Do you have a concept you are working off of? I find that the only thing owl-like about her right now is the face. She's very tall and lanky, Owls are more compact. Maybe Puff her out a bit, with her body, or clothing. I understand if that's not what you are going for though.
    But yeah, as has been said before, anatomy!
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Important things you should immediately implement in your sculpts:
    1. Switch from the RedWax MatCap to Basic Material, Basic Material 2, or MatCap Grey. This will help you understand the shapes that you're sculpting better, it gives a more accurate representation of the surface forms and is easier on the eyes.
    2. Stick to the lowest subdiv you can until you've bulked out all the major forms in your sculpt. This will prevent the kind of wobbly stick-figure base form your current sculpt has, and make it look more like a solid form with bones and muscle and innards.
    3. https://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/anatomy.php < --- Use this for reference constantly.
    Right now, this is a cool start because your idea is original and endearing, the face is quite well done, too. But the underlying construction is painfully off, your A-pose is quite stiff, and the sculpting and forms are wobbly.
    While I think what Pyr is suggesting is something that will come to you, a personal preference in workflow that you'll develop naturally much further down the line, do make a habit of separating the clothes from each other and the main body sculpt, to keep things non-destructive.

Keep it up, looking forward to seeing more! :poly124:
  • Kurodius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanted to stop in and say I really appreciate all the fantastic criticism, and I will post an update as soon as I can.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    It's easier to make good forms when you're at a way lower resolution than a couple million points.
  • air
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    air
    That's an interesting character idea. I think you should focus on the pose before getting too far into detailing. It looks kind of slouchy but I can't really tell. Maybe get a picture of a straight-on front & side view without the cape and compare it to the front & side view of a person. I think that might help because your character is humanoid-like. Good luck with this!