Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mechanical "Medusa" Project

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
SebastianK polycounter lvl 12
LATEST PROGRESS:
Wr02Kkj.jpg

Yo!

Currently doing a student assignment where we're meant to create a character/creature, rig and animate it and then throw it into UE4. Figured I'd make a thread going over my progress. Ended up creating some sort of mechanical medusa-type creature which I thought seemed a lot more interesting than the run of the mill "buff military man".

Here's where I'm at right now with the high poly, aiming to get done with it and the low poly by the end of the week.

7Q9ghyZ.jpg

And here's the weapon I worked on today for the end of the tail

oLr3gVx.jpg

Any comments always welcome!

Replies

• WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've got some nice hard surface details there. Thumbs up for thinking outside the box too!

Have you got any sort of concept at all? I'm not entirely sure how the character will look once rigged; I'm assuming it's fairly serpent-esque?

I reckon the face could do with a few more details too. The rest of the model is really nicely packed full of stuff to look at, and it makes the head look a little plain.

Finally, what is the function of the tail weapon? It might need a couple of modifications to make its purpose a bit more obvious.

I hope this is of some use, great job!
  • SebastianK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've got some nice hard surface details there. Thumbs up for thinking outside the box too!

Have you got any sort of concept at all? I'm not entirely sure how the character will look once rigged; I'm assuming it's fairly serpent-esque?

I reckon the face could do with a few more details too. The rest of the model is really nicely packed full of stuff to look at, and it makes the head look a little plain.

Finally, what is the function of the tail weapon? It might need a couple of modifications to make its purpose a bit more obvious.

I hope this is of some use, great job!

Thanks a ton for the comment!

Yeah, I do have a concept I cobbled together last week by copy/pasting some stuff from other concepts and painting over them. I'm not great at concepts at all so it's pretty shitty but this is the idea I had. GTLk0CW.png

100% agree on the head, definitely the next area I will do stuff with.

The tail weapon is meant to just be like an axe/saw more or less, with that mechanical twist to it. I can totally see it not being immediately recognizable as a weapon, I'll try to do some stuff to aid with that. :)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Yea that concept tail is much better, I definitely see a mechanical-looking stinger fitting a lot better than just a gun that is tacked on (although the gun is well-done xD).

p.s. this really creeps me out, LOL
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The mask reminds me a bit of the 17th century plague masks worn by doctors working with bubonic plague victims:
    333690441_4c00294169_b.jpg
    The masks also included glass goggles.
  • Kurodius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker wrote: »
    The mask reminds me a bit of the 17th century plague masks worn by doctors working with bubonic plague victims
    The masks also included glass goggles.

I feel like this element clashes a bit with the overall design of the character. The rest of the body is more serpentine, so this vaguely bird-like mask doesn't seem consistent.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I'm curious about the mask too. The thing I thought of was the plague doctor. Doesn't seem to fit with the Medusa, unless she she some kind of poison weapon.
  • SebastianK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    I'm curious about the mask too. The thing I thought of was the plague doctor. Doesn't seem to fit with the Medusa, unless she she some kind of poison weapon.

I guess medusa was a bad label on this thing, it was just the only similar thing I could think of naming it. I'm not really intending this thing to have anything to do with the classic medusa creature at all, it's just that with the snake body medusa was the only name I came up with to give it. :)
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a nice concept! A good pose. It's definitely not my strength either, though.

Yeah I agree with the other guys - maybe stick with a more serpentine theme? Maybe you could look at the Basilisk from Harry Potter for some inspiration?

You're more than welcome, I'm glad I could help!
  • SebastianK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some detail work, and changed/got rid of the head.

aUr0X2G.jpg
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's much better. I still think it'd benefit from a more detailed face/mask, that forms more of a head. I think if you took a sci-fi helmet design and modified it to look more like a mech creature you could get something quite effective.

That detailing is great though, it looks awesome!
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    The face mask is too overly simplistic to the design of the rest of the character... it kinda looks tacked on. If you bulk it up and add some nice detailing while sticking to the same overall shape it could really look awesome. Very nice modeling so far though, looks really promising.
  • SebastianK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a bit, but I did do some changes to the mask to give it some detail to go along with the rest of the model. Had to call the high poly done after that because of time and have been working on getting the lowpoly bake since, which I've now finished.

Here's the finished low poly baked model with a quick AO map thrown onto it. We have a poly limit of 30k tris and 4k textures so I tried to squeeze as much out of that as I could.

zDXW3zg.jpg
  • SebastianK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing some texturing.

Wr02Kkj.jpg
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    I like those colors, i`ll keep an eye on this, great job so far...keep up!!!
  • SebastianK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message