Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Winterfell Castle Project

Current Update: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2298244#post2298244

Introduction

Hi there, my name is Martin Garnett and I am currently on my third year at the University for Creative Arts studying a BA(Hons) in Computer Games Arts.

For my third year project I am going solo, and hoping to make Winterfell Castle in Unreal 4!

I've chosen this for a topic as I'm hoping to lead into Environment Art and I want to practice with efficient use of materials, and to learn more about shaders and the power of them.

The Project

As I've already mentioned, I am hoping to recreate Winterfell Castle. One other quirk I want to do with it however, is create a switch to change from pre-siege to after siege, hoping to show off the power of shaders.

Using maps, the books, and the series I shall be trying to make it as accurate as possible, so that people will recognise it, and feel that they are actually there.

Updates and Plan

Right now, it's just started and don't have anything built at this very moment. What I'm doing first it researching as much as possible, and sourcing as many references as I can. I did debate leaving this post until I created something however I didn't want to miss out on any potential recommendations and project planning tips! :)

I will be posting updates to my blog (currently at www.martingarnett.com/winterfell however this will change eventually). I will also be updating the thread here as frequent as possible. In my planning software I have allocated Friday's to project review and updating blogs etc. Therefore you guys can expect an update AT LEAST once a week.

Final Words

I hope you guys enjoy viewing my progress. I decided to post a progress thread here as looking around the forums, you seem to have such a uniquely brilliant community here with priceless suggestions along with awesome work.

If you have any questions about the project or have any input I would love to hear it. It will all help towards the end goal and I, of course, will credit anyone to helps.

Thanks for letting me display the work here, and I can't wait to get started now.

Replies

• gsokol
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol polycounter lvl 14
    You really need to figure out scope quickly. Are you talking about building the entire castle? Or a portion of it? Or a single shot? How much do you plan to change post siege?

First impressions are that you might be biting off wayyyyy too much.
  • DireWolf
    Good luck, very interesting subject.
  • Marshkin
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with gsokol's comment about scope control. Better yet, I'd recommend breaking it down into modules. ie Pre-siege stables/courtyard, rather then taking it all on at once. You can white box the entire thing with basic BSP/geometry of your choice, then tackle one segment as far as you care to take it. This will allow you to find and solve technical challenges in a digestible chunk.

I am really excited to see this progress! :D
  • FantaBanta3D
    Thanks for the replies, guys! Yes, I've had a similar discussion with one of my lecturers. What you've said Marshkin is bang on the money. That's exactly what I plan to do.

I'm kind of hoping a lot of the assets will be re-usable throughout the castle, so after I've built a few of the ares then the following areas should be a little quicker.

My grey boxing will start tomorrow, I'll try and get you an update then! :)
  • FantaBanta3D
    Hello everyone.

Thursday I took a trip to a local castle to get some reference images - unfortunate it was such a nice day (Don't hear that often ey?) the shadows are probably too harsh for me to use. Not only that, but upon comparing the brickwork with that in Winterfell Castle it doesn't match! :( However, I do have some OK textures, and some castle reference images (which you are all welcome too if you are interested, just let me know.

I have written my weekly write-up which can be found on my blog: www.martingarnett.com/wp

But here's some images to explain general progress:

screen01.png

This is an initial texture test. Made the normals quickly in Crazy Bump just so I could get an idea with the little highlights. Rendered in 3Do (Pretty piece of software).

winterfell2.jpg

This is reference to the series, as you can see - a different texture. :(

greyboxOverview.jpg

Early grey box overview, along with a first person perspective:

greyboxFirstPerson.jpg

What are your views and opinions on this?

Can't wait to get back to this over the weekend. However the weekends are put aside for part time work and dissertation >.<
  • FantaBanta3D
    Hi guys,

Sorry it's been a while, I've been really busy lately trying to organise workshops for Adobe Products as I'm an Adobe Rep for my uni.

Last week I did actually finish a better grey box for the courtyard for which I am going to start in - as previously advised I am going to de-scope my project massively and try to build it up.

Here are some quick renders of my grey box to see what I am working with:

CourtyardPreview1.png

CourtyardPreview3.png

CourtyardPreview2.png

Now I am trying to build each piece of my grey box in a more final model, I'm really struggling to work out what I need to model, and what I can produce with textures.

This is my first model so far, and some reference so you can see what I am working towards.

tower_render1.png

Screenshot-230.png

I plan to add decals for the corners, and windows, then that would allow me to make the tower modular and use it twice.

I know it's not much at the moment, I've never really attempted realistic environments before so I'm struggling trying to work out the best way in doing things.

My question is, would you model all the kinks in the building? and also would you suggest that I should model the windows in?

How would you attack this? :)
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    If this is a portfolio piece there's really no reason to limit yourself and I'd go mad with the modelling, adding as much geometry as I feel I can get away with. In current gen budgets are very high so limiting yours isn't going to do any favours and just make your work look worse for no good reason.

That being said, the blockout looks good but I'd think about what you're going to include in the scene. In that reference, if you take out all the people you don't really have much going on. It's basically a muddy square with one or two wooden structures. Maybe look at some games or other references and see how other people have made their courtyards more interesting.

That being said, I don't watch GoT so maybe there's a treasure trove of reference I don't know about!
  • FantaBanta3D
    Very valuable advice! Thanks!

I worry about it not running in the Unreal Engine if I make it too crazy high poly?

I've added some more details to the top since my last post, and I think I will go ahead and model some more details in.

tower_render2.png

Regards to the emptiness, here's another print screen of things I'm hoping to fill the square up with.

Screenshot-254.png
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Generally, Unreal can handle pretty high amounts of Tris (Marcus Fenix in Gears was 30k alone I seem to remember?) so I wouldn't worry about. As long as you aren't daft and Importing a ZB sculpt or something and know which hardware you're targeting you can get a pretty good estimation.

It can be worth looking at Epics own models too and use them as a basis if you're unsure.
  • FantaBanta3D
    Good idea! Thank Auldbenkenobi. :) I appreciate all the help I can get. :)
  • FantaBanta3D
    Just a little update, I've been working a lot on my Dissertation lately so progress has been slow, however I've almost finished the main gatehouse now for the time being. I want to try and get everything in the courtyard modeled with just diffuse and normal maps, and then progress them with more PBR materials if I have time.

Here is an updated render:

tower_render3.png
  • fab-camp
    Offline / Send Message
    fab-camp polycounter lvl 6
    looks good!
    what textures did you use ?
    how did you unwrap `?
  • FantaBanta3D
    fab-camp wrote: »
    what textures did you use ?

The textures were made from photo's. I'm hoping to have time to re-do them via creating them in Zbrush later on, but photo texturing is far quicker for this early stage. I want to try and build up as much of the scene as possible to make sure I'm building the right things. Hehe.

On the model at the moment I'm only using Diffuse and Normal maps, but if I do get around to creating the Zbrush versions then I should be able to use more PBR maps. :)
    fab-camp wrote: »
    how did you unwrap `?

This was actually quite an easy thing to unwrap. Because it's quite square I haven't had to fiddle too much with the seams and stretch.

I unwrapped this in Maya mainly using the automatic unwrap tool, and then just stitched and rotated the UV islands. :)

I'm keeping a lot of the parts separate as this allows me to re-use repeatable textures. I believe this will save more memory than trying to join all the parts together and using bigger, unique textures (and more of them).

A lot of the textures on this building I'm hoping to re-use around the whole scene.
  • FantaBanta3D
    Just another little update for ya'll. Starting to just plow through and get stuff in the engine. You can read more about it on my blog.

Let me know what you think. :)

IngameScreenshot1.png

vertexPaintMaterial-942x1024.png

IngameScreenshot4-1024x595.png

IngameScreenshot3-1024x595.png
  • FantaBanta3D
    So it's been a while since I've posted here, thought I would give everyone an update.

I'm not finished with my dissertation at uni so I can put 100% effort into this project now (yay!) Since finishing things are moving much faster so I'm a lot happier with that.

My course had a visit by the very talented Rob Watkins (I seriously recommend checking out his work!), and with his inspiration, he guided me to think of a way to make my environment something more unique than just a re-build of the set. This got me thinking and now, my plan is to produce the courtyard in an abandoned state, but with film equipment left around (also abandoned). With this, my scene is now set in the day time, and also beginning to be overrun by plants and ivy.

One main change with my project is that I've now migrated to Unity instead of using UE4. My reason behind this is simply because I was spending way too much time learning UE4 and my build was falling behind. I wish I could use UE4 proficiently enough to stick with it, but I'm a lot more competent with Unity.

A lot of my updates can be seen on my blog for the project: http://www.martingarnett.com/wp

However here are some assets I've recently been building for it:

screen01.png

screen011.png

ingamesack1.png

ivy.png

inGame.png

screen012.png

inGameArch.png

Thanks for viewing :)
  • FantaBanta3D
    Hello again,

Apologies for not keeping on top of this thread. To be honest with you, I lost a little bit of confidence mid way through and I've been non stop trying to make things better.

My project has come to an end, I have a few last tweaks with the camera for the actual build, but I'm calling this done for now. I've learnt so much and can't wait to get my teeth stuck into my next project.

Here are some in-game (unity 5) stills of my project.

nS5390c.gif

winterfell-printscreen-scene-fire.jpg

winterfell-printscreen-cart-fire.jpg

winterfell-printscreen-arch.jpg

One of my best assets in game was my camera:

screen02.png

screen04.png

screen03.png

screen05.png

Any way, If you would like to know how I've done anything let me know! I'd love to help.

The development blog has moved now to: www.martingarnett.com/winterfell

There will be a build available soon for you all to try - it's a little laggy (due to spotlights being so demanding!) Alternatively it will be on display at my university exhibition. More info about that can be found here.

Thanks all for viewing :)