Home General Discussion

Any chance for Concept Artist (me) to move?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
zxcman polycounter lvl 10
Hey folks.

What it is your thoughts about my chances to move from Ukraine and work as concept artist somewhere else?

Atm moment I work at Blur as contractor and looking for any opportunity

Please review my portfolio and reply :)

http://zxcman.cghub.com/images/

Thanks for your read!

Replies

• CN.Kitsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    with that beautiful portfolio i say you have a dam good chance

your work is amazing, wish i was rich then i would bring ya in ASAP
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Some next level work there dude; i'm sure you will have no problem finding somebody to snap you up =).
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    dude, you will be just fine, i'd say your chance is like as long as you try you will at least get an interview, so its more like in the end you'll pick one you like instead of being picked by your future employer, but still, good luck!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Someone hire this guy or i'll have to. ;)
    Just kidding, i can't.

But if i could i so would, your at Blur man that is crazy good.
    I don't see why anyone wouldn't, perhaps update the folio and start sending resumes in your cv requesting for relocation with or without assistance your choice, idk how deeps your pocketsiz are precious. ;)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    It probably doesn't answer your question to just have us all pile on say how much we like your work, but I have to pile on here and say how much I like your work, the design eland execution is amazing. Contracts with blur and other studios will put you up there on lists for relocating with a visa, I hope you're able to make your way to a studio becuase you definitely deserve it.

Also I hope I'm not overstepping to ask if you're hoping to make it abroad due to what is happening right now in the Ukraine?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Have you contacted Blur letting them know you are interested in being fulltime? Maybe someone else with experience doing remote contract work could chime in but I'd guess that if they like your work they might want to hire you on rather than losing you to someone else.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Sounds like Ukraine is crazy right now. I would leave regardless. Best of luck!
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    you could go literally anywhere I think :) you thought about weta or maybe going into films?

I know visas can be a pain if you go to the US, canada might be an easier bet. UK isnt amazing unless you go to one of the big developers here but getting over here isnt too painful. Not sure on europe but Ive got alot of friends from the UK out and about in amsterdam, sweden, finland, france, Russia etc. So the world is literally your oyster if you want to travel ......aslong as they are hiring :)
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Seriously? You can go anywhere with this quality of work man...
    Keep an eye open for Canadian studios though, they're more likely to sponsor visas than US ones.
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone.

Yeah,I didn't want this to look like "hey watch at my pics.
    Well I just missed point what to do next, so now I'll try to spam my resume and try to move away frome here :)

And Yes situation here made my pants really wet.
    It is 20 km from border with my city.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVL7gq3CR6o
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    I think you'll be fine man and like others have said your work is great. Visas for the US can be a huge pain, Canada is easier and europe easier still. Your folio looks really well suited to somewhere like Crytek or Guerilla.

Oh and also Bioware Montreal. They are always looking as far as I know and your stuff looks like a great fit :)
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man. I'll try :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i think i wrote it before, if these are concepts, what will the final highres models look like?

super ace work I don't think you should fear not finding a job with your skillset, i just wondered why you call them concepts? rarely do final highres assets to bake down to lowpolies go as far as your concepts do here.
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Neox.
    Usually I do not do that final quality of concepts, but the best way to show my skills is to make the image look polished.
    http://cghub.com/images/view/828205/ The customer asked me to create a realistic design. it took us few weeks discussing the sketches and other stuff. The model itself do not have UV, topology or any stuff connected with the real production.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i can only say, what i see would be considered a final highpoly in many game productions, the highpoly doesn't need Uvs and floating parts are pretty common in game productions. Of course i can't see how "bad" it is from the image, but at first glance it looks pretty solid.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    There is no doubt that the images on your portfolio are all very well polished and would work extremely well in a pre-production and/or concept art environment.

My only advice would be to cover all your bases and also show what you can do with quick thumbnails and looser sketches - basically, less polished "concepts", produced faster, presented as a lineup of 6 to 12 variants.

I have the feeling that your current work would be quite well suited for films and cinematics, but *might* be slightly at odds in some game studios. What I mean by that is, a film studio needs to spend a lot of time on preproduction, making sure that the vision of the project is perfectly defined. For that, your work is great, since your use of 3D makes things very accurate. Once these designs are passed to the FX house, everything is well defined, and things can go very smoothly from there. This is how many movies project are being handled these days.

However in a game studio, production turnarounds are likely much faster and you might not have the time to work on such polished 2D/3D hybrid pictures. So , when it comes to finding a job, you might want to also show your skills as a fast 2D artist, since other applicants are likely to have that in their concept art portfolio too. Just imagine the case where your Art Director comes to you and asks : "Hey, we need 6 variants of that guy before 4pm for a meeting". Now in a perfect world this wouldn't happen, and production should be planned better in order to avoid exactly this, and that's a sign of bad planning and indecisive higher ups. But it happens.

Also, and that's a bit of a delicate thing : in game studios, the concept and 3d modeling departments are likely on the same floor. Meaning that some 3D artists might not be thrilled by the fact that a concept artist is "having all the fun" modeling cool characters, while themselves are waiting for every opportunity to do exactly that (especially since in game productions, 3D artists also have a lot of sometimes annoying technical tasks to take care of, taking a lot of time away from the creative work they have been originally hired for in the first place.)

I know it sounds kinda crazy but I have heard of quite a few cases where this kind of situation created friction (or plain misunderstandings) between 3D artists and the concept department. Which is a shame really, but certainly something to keep in mind.

From there I would maybe recommend you to have a few pieces which, while still being 2D/3D hybrids, have more 2D than 3D (with a much rougher 3D base, heavily painted over)

Hope this helps, and good luck ! Really liking your work :)
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Work looks great! I agree that if you want to do movie stuff, Canada might be better. Right now LA is just getting crushed. There is prob still a lot of work but many studios are moving north of the border and to other countries.
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I've reviewed my artworks using all your feedback messeges and now I am glad to show you a lot of new stuff. I hope I've chosen the right direction.

link itself: http://art-grizzly.tumblr.com/
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    Holy shiz - Niceeeee
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I came across your artwork on Artstation yesterday, your work is phenomenal!
    Hope you don't mind me pluging that: http://www.artstation.com/artist/zxcman

You say you're a concept artist? I'd say you could be whatever you want with your skills: character artist, hard surface modeler, concept artist. All of it. Your focus appears to be hard surface mechanical things, there's a huge market for that. You're going to be fine man, hang in there.
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, yeah I've improved my 3d to be as fast as 2d in the final stages. And believe me it was very tricky to learn. so the only question is what's wrong with my promotion so I haven't received any offers for 2 month both for in-house and contract positions.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats so sad to hear, doesn't blur need your support anymore? maybe digic, or the other houses involved with the halo cinemetics maybe

i'd hire you right away, if i had the right job. Which i don't at the moment. But i dunno if it would be a waste fo ressources or not. usually we get concepts and turn them into 3d game models and thats something i don't see in your work. All the stuff you left out needs to be done for the final product, topology, uvs, baking, texturing etc.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with Neox and also make sure all your links are valid, I still see a cghub link in your signature, just make sure recruiters can view your work correctly and it shouldn't be a problem for you to find work. The quality/diversity is top notch! : )
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Yeah dude, show your process. Show that you can work from concepts, and maybe some game-ready assets. If you have that, it's what'll get people to bite.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Makkon wrote: »
    Yeah dude, show your process. Show that you can work from concepts, and maybe some game-ready assets. If you have that, it's what'll get people to bite.

He had a sweet ass breakdown for his paratrooper guy :D It actually inspired me to make my AUAF guy.

I can't believe you're having trouble finding work dude. GL though!!!