Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: Quixel Suite Textures to UE4 issue

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
IDCrisis0 polycounter lvl 6
I have looked through this entire Tech Talk and have not seen anything about the issue I am having. Sorry if this is a repeat, but I am having some issues with materials inside of UE4 from export in Quixel Suite.

I have been plugging in the textures produced directly to their links inside of UE4. Albeido, Roughness(I suppose it's roughness "r"), Metal, Normal, AO.

Is there a particular way to plug in the textures you get from UE4 preset once inside of UE4? My results have looked absolutely nothing like what they look like inside of 3Do. Most of the time I end up with extremely shiny-metalic textures on everything when the result should be something more like brushed aluminum.

Sorry for no pics at the moment, I am at work and was researching before I clocked in.

Replies

• Measuring
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Measuring polycounter lvl 5
    I am also experiencing weird results in UE4. All my textures also end up really shiny compared to how it looks in 3Do. It's starting to become pretty frustrating not knowing how to get the "exact" results in UE4 displayed in 3Do.

Hope someone can shine some light on this!
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    I think the issue is with linear vs. sRGB color space. DDo is supposed to export using sRGB with the Unreal preset, because that's what Unreal uses by default, but I think the new version broke that. You can uncheck sRGB in Unreal and it fixes it.
  • IDCrisis0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IDCrisis0 polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the tip! I will give that a try when I get home!
  • MooseCommander
    Measuring wrote: »
    I am also experiencing weird results in UE4. All my textures also end up really shiny compared to how it looks in 3Do. It's starting to become pretty frustrating not knowing how to get the "exact" results in UE4 displayed in 3Do.

Hope someone can shine some light on this!

You will never get "exact" results because 3DO and Unreal do not render things in the same way.

The correct way to set up your textures in Unreal is as follows

Diffuse / Albedo - SRGB checked ON
    Spec, Roughness, AO, etc. - SRGB checked OFF
  • Measuring
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Measuring polycounter lvl 5
    What I mesnt by exact was as similair as possible. I've never changed the sRGB setting so I'll do that first thing in the morning. Thanks!
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Right, I had similar issue today and unchecking sRGB tick box inside of the imported roughness texture helps to make it look extrmely similar to 3Do :) The reason for that is that Quixel Suite exports maps with GGX Calibration.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for stepping in and helping Moosecoomander, I salute you! We´re very close to unveiling the next step in Quixel-UE4 integration, stay tuned!
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    So is there only the one place to uncheck sRGB in UE4? Once I do that, and rebuild the material, it tells me to use Linear Color instead of Color. Does that happen for everyone else? I can't tell if it really helped my materials look closer to what 3DO produces.
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    yeah... you need to change the node type from color to linear color/grayscale to linear grayscale if you untick srgb..
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    When using a texture mask texture it’s important to open the texture after import and set ‘Compression Settings’ to ‘TC Masks’. In your Material the ‘Sampler Type’ of the corresponding texture input must be set to ‘Masks’ then sRGB is turned off automatically and everything works as intended.

One thing i would appreciate is if Quixel guys could change the order of the exported mask channels. Quixel exports R=roughness,G=metal,B=AO. Would make more sense if roughness and metal would be switched because of the order the textures get plugged in (less cable salad). I use a Photoshop action to do it but would be nice if i didn't have to do this additional step.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwold - I will pass on your request to the dev-team!
  • Wayne84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wayne84 null
    Can I second Steppenwolf's request this would remove a step from our pipeline.
     - Just noticed this is a pretty old post is it possible I'm missing something and this is already in Quixel somewhere?