Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Illustration

[Riot Art Contest] - Diamond plated Taric

chewie105
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
chewie105 polycounter lvl 3
Taric is in desperate need of a splash art and visual update. the other day, was playing a normal game with friends and the constant complaint about taric having triangle feet is long overdue. here is my take on Taric the Gem knight. couldnt activate my account until today, so here is the WIP so far. I have alot of school homework to do so I will try to finish this sometimes next week.

also I did not put much work into the linework because I know I will end up painting it in anyways. as for additional details, I paint those in as I draw. PC4PqIT.jpg9VqM8EQ.jpgVBjNFq0.jpg

you can still see some black lines in there, but I will remove them once I go back in and polish.

Replies

• chewie105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    not fond of the mouth. Kinda look like he put gloss on them.
  • VictoriaHall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VictoriaHall polycounter lvl 3
    Epic pose! XD ...Truly outrageous. The details on his arm/gems are looking awesome.

My advice would be to rethink what color your lights are and the color of the environment. Your shadows are black and your highlights are white... I would put some other colors in there. His gems should be reflecting the colors around him, the blue in the sky, the gold in his armor, etc....rather than being strictly black and white.
  • chewie105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow wrote: »
    not fond of the mouth. Kinda look like he put gloss on them.

yea, the mouth looks too glossy at the moment. I will get back to the face today after I finish some homework.
  • chewie105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Epic pose! XD ...Truly outrageous. The details on his arm/gems are looking awesome.

My advice would be to rethink what color your lights are and the color of the environment. Your shadows are black and your highlights are white... I would put some other colors in there. His gems should be reflecting the colors around him, the blue in the sky, the gold in his armor, etc....rather than being strictly black and white.

you're right, but it's easier for me to just paint out the solid shapes first and go back to paint in the reflections after. I dont usually add in highlight or shadows or even reflections until the end. It really puts me off to just focus in 1 area until I finish it. that's why I paint them to a degree of completion and move on; then come back and paint on top of it :)
  • Flaxor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Victoriahall is purely talking about the colours. When you learn about lighting and colours through painting you learn to use contrasting colours from the colour wheel in order to create light shades and dark shadows. Using black for shadows gives off a very muddy feel and so does the white. The poses and suxh so far are looking good though :)
  • chewie105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaxor wrote: »
    I think Victoriahall is purely talking about the colours. When you learn about lighting and colours through painting you learn to use contrasting colours from the colour wheel in order to create light shades and dark shadows. Using black for shadows gives off a very muddy feel and so does the white. The poses and suxh so far are looking good though :)

yes, I know that. I'll add in the color reflections tomorrow :) also thanks, glad you like it so far.

notes for myself:
    - his cloak seems a little stiff
    - chainmail skirt needs to be more apparent
    - finish painting in the smoke from his eyes. right now it looks like lightning.
  • chewie105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is my last WIP. next one should be done. just need to polish al lthe lines and maybe fix some of the particles.
  • chewie105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iy8CUzY.jpg

this is my final piece after polishing. let me know what you think!
  • AlexKola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    The face looks feminine to me.. :poly134: is it too late for feedback like this?
  • chewie105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea i already submitted :(. but i appreciate your feedback none the less. I made his face feminine because it seems more attractive. I will be working on more so feel free to comment on those next ones :)
  • Domax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw that you submitted. I'm sorry my feedback is a bit late :( I think that his face is a bit too feminine and something distubrb me in the torso anatomy. The angle of the pectoral and the abs seems to not fit. but I really love the colors and the textures. Good work!
  • chewie105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea, I twisted the abes a little bit because he is turning his body. maybe it's a bit hard to see this because of his right chest being too far out.
  • THendersonVFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    I'm glad you changed the belt buckle before submitting. The demon head was a bit odd for his theme, but I love the diamond crusted gauntlet. Best of luck!