Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

What I'm Working On

Hey everyone, I'm getting further along in the design phase of my game idea and decided to start doing some modeling. I'm not a character modeler by trade, but I figured it's as good a time as any to learn, and Polycount has always been a good place for guidance. So here are a few of shots of what I have so far. After 3 attempts, I finally got a human male figure model that I'm happy with, and I started on the clothing and accessory articles. My last two sessions were on the boots, so that's what I'm showing here. As always, feedback is definitely welcome.
KpUlQMi.jpg
this is what I'm going for.
this is what I have so far.
UQHLDcj.jpg
O8C5KYz.jpg
SfACuk9.jpg
I figure the stitching detail will be done all in Mudbox. I'm going to spline out the laces for geo and just bake them into the normals. I'm trying to decide whether or not to model geo for the different layers of leather, and what to do about the knobs on the sole. I have an alternate sole where I modeled in all the knobs, but then I have turbo smooth issues because of all the extra edge loops. So fire away, everyone. And thanks ahead of time.

Replies

• andr3w1sh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update, I haven't tons more on the boot, but I have done some work. The whole upper got a reshape, as well as the sole. it's much closer to the actual physical reference. I also added the lace hooks at the top, and then started modeling the separate layers of leather for the high poly bake.
    m44t2E9.jpg
    1BRI79G.jpg
    Aw4mtaq.jpg
  • YakZSmelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk polycounter lvl 11
    IS there a reason you are creating the boot all as one mesh?
  • andr3w1sh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk wrote: »
    IS there a reason you are creating the boot all as one mesh?

well it's not all one mesh. the tongue, sole, upper, strap, and lace eyes are all separate meshes. unless you're referring to something else?
  • andr3w1sh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like you have errors in your normals (last picture; black lines)

yeah, that's some smoothing group stuff where I have tris connected to quads :/ but I think I just had an idea to fix all that. Maybe what Yak was talking about? I'm not sure. but modeling all the different leather layers separately and just pushing them through the upper mesh instead of having them connected. thanks for pointing out :)