Home General Discussion

So this just happened..

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Moltar polycounter lvl 7
Was working on a personal project of mine, nothing amazing, more or less just practicing with substance textures etc... WHEN ALL OF A SUDDEN, windows update restarts my PC. I lost my current project progress and face palmed myself with my keyboard.

Just thought I'd get that one out there...screw you Microshit.

Replies

• MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    That's a shame.
  • liquidape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have never had a random restart with Linux that did not involve power failure. My windows reboots randomly about nightly. I just wish Linux had more software support...(Pixologic/Allegorithmic, I'm lookin' at you.)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    a few times I picked log out instead of lock on my work PC... and then windows auto-closed some programs without bothering to ask if I want to save. To MS defence: unless your admin (e.g. IT dept) sets a policy, the PC should give you at least some warning, if you use a recent Windows version. Although I manages to click it away not bothering and then it tried to reboot on me...

Good I grew up playing Sierra games and this became my mantra: "Save early, save often!" :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    wort trying this https://code.google.com/p/shutdownguard/
    also as others said save often and save to more than one file.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    That's why I keep Windows update off. I can update as I choose, don't get prompts, and don't have to worry about accidentally trying to download a game or something and Windows updates.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    That really blows.

But... consider yourself lucky. I've lost two entire hard drives to power supply / motherboard failure.

Also, if you store your working files on an SSD, back that shit up somewhere else. SSD's can randomly wipe themselves on boot up. (obviously very rare, but when you use computers as much as we do, something improbable and shitty is bound to happen eventually)
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    leleuxart wrote: »
    That's why I keep Windows update off. I can update as I choose, don't get prompts, and don't have to worry about accidentally trying to download a game or something and Windows updates.

Yeah, definitely this. First thing I do on almost any personal computer after I get OS/drivers up and running, check for windows updates - install, then turn off windows updates. If I feel like getting them, I'll check for them on my own.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    liquidape wrote: »
    I have never had a random restart with Linux that did not involve power failure. My windows reboots randomly about nightly. I just wish Linux had more software support...(Pixologic/Allegorithmic, I'm lookin' at you.)

QFT. I heard that Allegorithmic had Linux builds working internally, but they sure are taking their time releasing them to the general public.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Was that around 2am ?

If I remember correctly that's the time set as default for the upgrade countdown. Which means that if you are working fullscreen, you will likely not get the warning and your currently running programs will initiate their closing sequence. If you are lucky enough you might get a popup ... but it is worded so poorly that it makes you want to hit cancel, which in this case cancels the save.

And of course the behavior of the update/restart timer is to force the restart if no action is taken, as opposed to simply doing nothing. This is indeed abysmal software design, and it personally almost made me ditch Windows for good about 2 years ago.

I can't help it - I keep imagining a catastrophic scenario where some kind of surgery device ends up shutting itself down in the middle of a procedure because of this. Fun !
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    that's why my ctrl and s keys are worn out.
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    Windows update! The worst is when you set up a render close too deadline (less than 24 hours one time) and you come in the next morning too find your PC just sitting there with a smug message on the screen "your PC has just updated" every new PC, every reformat I forget too turn it off
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Just turn it off and update when you want...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I wish windows had an option to just install updates on reboot, or postpone until reboot.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Can keep auto update on, but edit a reg key to disable auto restart. You'll have to manually restart to install the update, but at least you can choose when to do it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555444

The reminder to restart still pops up, but it won't auto restart when the timer runs out like it does by default.

I set this up after i had my PC restart on me twice while playing Hardcore Diablo 3 characters :)
  • CharlieD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlieD polycounter lvl 11
    Hm. Maybe see if whatever you were using has an autosave feature. In Maya and max I have it set to autosave every 10mins with a max of 5 iterations(you can have more or less). It's saved me many many times.
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    170 save files ... minimum)
  • ArtLearner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtLearner polycounter lvl 3
    Happened to me also sometimes,
    I now always have a wordpad file open with random text in it,
    Most of the time if it wants to shut down it won't because it need to save it first xD
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Ye, as it was said, turn auto update off and auto save on.
    And press ctrl+S all the time like a maniac.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    I remember experiencing this when I updated to windows 8.
    Previous Windows would allow you to ignore the update and it wouldn't bother you again.

Windows 8 will ask you to restart, you tell it no. It will remind you again in a few minutes. You say ignore, then it will restart any ways.
    Terrible system.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Can't say I ever had that happen without the window popping up as a warning, but yesterday I had a really nasty redirect virus, which took about two hours to clear. I was ready to nuke the C drive.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I always 'save as'in photoshop and use the following naming standard for any work i do: "projectname-Piecename-01" or "projectname_Piecename_01"

Max has a lovely feature to do this automatically. I've clocked close to 2300 files for a single large project previous to the one below.

http://imgur.com/2vvKDYt

If it gets too memory intensive, then compress them into a .rar or .zip.

For added bonus sync dropbox or google drive with your packages or even current project folder for free backups!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    I wish windows had an option to just install updates on reboot, or postpone until reboot.

Windows 8 does.

Also going against the flow here. Don't turn off auto updates. If your using an older windows version, just have it set to download, but not install automatically. You'll get notices new updates are ready to install. Turning off auto updates is just a bad idea all around from a security perspective.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Ferg wrote: »
    That really blows.

But... consider yourself lucky. I've lost two entire hard drives to power supply / motherboard failure.

Also, if you store your working files on an SSD, back that shit up somewhere else. SSD's can randomly wipe themselves on boot up. (obviously very rare, but when you use computers as much as we do, something improbable and shitty is bound to happen eventually)

Now i'm scared.
    I might start using cloud storage, if the internet gets a bit better.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    One of my colleagues is currently running a whole room full 3d printers around the clock churning out parts for the laser cutter he Kickstarted. Leaving the automatic updates running on those computers was rather destructive.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I talked my mom through a registry edit over the phone. I tell windows to jump and it asks "how high!?"
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Windows 8 does.

Also going against the flow here. Don't turn off auto updates. If your using an older windows version, just have it set to download, but not install automatically. You'll get notices new updates are ready to install. Turning off auto updates is just a bad idea all around from a security perspective.
    Yep. this is what I do, except for my wife's laptop which has win8. This way you can restart when it works for you. Just make sure you commit to installing them and not just ignoring them. Also commit to shutting down if it has to. You can get yourself in a lot of trouble if you partially install, then don't restart so it can finish installing.
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
    I don't mess with updates currently it asks me and I keep telling it to keep it shut till 4hrs or so. Of course I do let it update. Some updates might be critical. Best all round mantra is to keep an auto save. save in increments and save every time you did something important. My machine keeps crashing especially on zbrush. So autosave is critical. Mine saves every 10 minutes. I dont even care if it causes a little break in flow.