Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Environment Art

[Riot Art Contest] - pixelb

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
pixelb greentooth
So I heard there was a new handpainting contest and was like "I'm all over that!" But since it's LoL I guess now I have to give a care about MOBAs...anyone want to explain to me what an inhibitor is?

Here's my first sketch for the creep den. I don't have a solid concept at all yet, I'm just trying to get in the groove of working with the Summoner's Rift palatte. I'm really loving the reworked composition of the field- generous spans of flat color balanced by concentrated detail.

prelim_painting.PNG

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Nice! I like where the color scheme is going. Keep at it!
  • OinkOink
    http://gameinfo.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/get-started/new-player-guide/

same as you,.. never played to LoL. The new player guide help me a little ;)

and btw, i love your work :)
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Ha ha! I've the same problem... I know NOTHING about LOL but since it's a hand painted texture contest I'm thinking about entering anyway. Maybe some youtube tutorials or some stuff like that will do the trick.

Anyway! I'll keep an eye on your thread, since I really enjoy your stuff!
  • JesusGuach
  • pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    Thanks Oink, I'm starting to get the idea now. They should put that on the contest page.
  • avenali312
    Offline / Send Message
    avenali312 polycounter lvl 8
    I've always liked your handpainted stuff! Sub'd to watch the progress. Good luck!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    wow, can't wait for your entry, loving the colors already ^_^
  • pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    Oh hey Jess! Thanks for watching! ^^

@avenali Good to see you man! I'll do my best.
  • pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    my design notes so far:

-Shapes are fundamentally unbalanced (very horizontal or vertical) and have a lot of movement. LoL doesn't use circles in its environment, with important exceptions of the main gameplay landmarks: turrets, inhibitors, and outlines of the creep dens. Then, the only circle shape is in the outline of the base.

-Leave way more empty space than you think you need.

-ORB cracks. ORB cracks everywhere.

-Radiating lines direct the eye to points of interest.

-Red base = owls + curvilinear shapes. Blue base = stags + blocky shapes

-Don't try to be fancy or exotic. There's no credit in trying to fit a lavafall or a mini-desert into the playing field. Work with the elements that are already there: stone, wood, grass, water.

-Keep creep dens very low in value contrast. Turret and inhibitor = mid-contrast.

-LoL is 2.5d! At least I'm pretty sure. That means there's no reason to model the far sides of the creep den and you can use alpha to define the silhouette.

-Probably best to paint everything uniquely.

As for now, I'm still mostly thinking about the creep den. The two best ideas are

-mysterious rocky cleft with butterflies crawling out of it
    -lighting-struck tree

I think I could carry carry either through to the turret and inhibitor designs as well. I'm a little hung up on the turret, as all the reference shows it as some generic statue dude, and that's not very interesting to me.

I also have this idea that all three pieces include little incense/offering bowls, to act as a unifying element and mark them as part of the same set.

Hmm.

Here are my first sketches. As you can see, I got a bit carried away drawing rocks.

sketch1.PNG

sketch2.PNG

sketch3.PNG

sketch4.PNG

sketch5.PNG

sketch6.PNG

and some highlights:

sketch_composite.PNG
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Damn!!! Sweet notes xD
  • Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    Great thoughts for sure! Really awesome studies. I have also wondered about whether or not their assets are 2.5d. Seems like it would make sense for some of their jungle camps and stuff.. But its hard to see any alpha edges, and some of their stuff looks more 3d than 2.5d. I also am thinking of trying to tackle it that way tho, as it will make way more sense for uv space.

Good work! Keep at it!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Love the sketches. Not sure where you're going 100% yet. But this is shaping up great.
  • POFFINGTON
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    tumblr_n9l9477Hnj1qasjkvo1_250.gif

My mind can't handle all the awesome! Can't wait to see whats next.
  • Afklamer
    Offline / Send Message
    Afklamer polycounter lvl 7
    Hah ! You've found the scanner :)
    Stuff got even more awesome!
    Agree on the 2.5d. turrets and inhibitors seem to be full 3d though, just to state the obvious :p
    Turret no.2 is my fav btw
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Lovin' this thread. Your sketches are awesome. Turret nr1 reminds me of LOTR (Sauron).
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    SO MANY SKETCHES!! 8D This looks like almost a full levels worth of stuff!

You nailed just about everything in your notes!

I think the cleft is definitely better than the lightening struck tree because if you use your tree-turret idea as well, it could be a little confusing to the player when turrets start breaking.
  • pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    @ Jeff Pfft, neither am I.

@ alf Naw, just my digital camera and some photoshop cleanup.

@ Gannon Shoot, you're absolutely right. Exactly the kind of thing I forget about in the heat of drawing.

Definitely the statues are full 3d, I'm just looking at the rock and the trees. Some of the rock borders are just too smooth to by polys.
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Hum pretty sure the old summoner rift is full 3D since we were able to tilt and turn camera around on a really old patch. (there's many video on youtube where you see the view, now you need to hack client to access that feature)
  • parasyte7
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 18
    I just want to make sure you saw this post with the update to the rules:

Hi everyone,

At Riot Games, we have a very strong feedback culture. We pivot and make adjustments when things can be done better or are not working. In the spirit of this culture and after internal conversations with feedback from the community, we have decided to make some tweaks to the environment section of the contest. You can now choose to create the turret or the inhibitor rather than being required to create both. We want to make sure we are giving everyone enough time to create assets that you are proud of and able to finish in time for the December 19th deadline.

We are also tweaking the animation com petition and not have animators pick an established character since animating a specific character without the exact model will be difficult. We want to see solid animations that are keeping the animation style of LoL in mind when creating these ability assets.

We thank you for your understanding and look forward to seeing what you all come up with.

-Kenny
  • pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    Odow, I don't doubt you're right about the old Rift being full 3d. But then Riot hired like half the Diablo 3 team.

Look at the difference. I think those silhouettes are pretty telling. That's not geometry you're looking at, and even if it were an alpha'd plane stuck into the mesh, you'd see some sort of seam.

Rift_1.1_Jungle.jpg

2_5d.png
  • pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    Turret idea. Not really happy with this. I was going for some type of water mage/elemental, but the silhouette is mega boring. I'm going to go in another direction.

turret_neptune.png

I also tried painting my butterfly cleft idea. I think I'm going to abandon this one, too. The butterflies are just too...off note for LoL. They're overpowering, but there's nothing special about the creep den without them.

butterfly_cleft.png

I'm going to go back to my lighting-struck tree sketches from before, and try to revise the turret design.
  • Afklamer
    Offline / Send Message
    Luvz sem schmetterlingz!
    cant wait to see the trees, go go ! =D
  • pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    Okay, I think I can commit to this. Theme is "trees damaged by magic." I was trying to make the tree look like it was fried by magic lightning, but I think I'm missing the mark.

I'm going to drill down and work on painting this to perfection, so I would love some crits now before I spend 20 hours on it and resent changing anything.

lightning_set.png
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    Really liking where this is going now, just an idea:-

you could think about how the vegetation reacts to the magic, so if its not all dead how would the plants look? just an idea. I like the subtle hits of magic on the stump and it would be cool if that was pushed more.

Look forward to seeing more.
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
  • GravityBwlast
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    pixelb wrote: »
    Okay, I think I can commit to this. Theme is "trees damaged by magic." I was trying to make the tree look like it was fried by magic lightning, but I think I'm missing the mark.

I'm going to drill down and work on painting this to perfection, so I would love some crits now before I spend 20 hours on it and resent changing anything.

lightning_set.png

Waooooow.
  • pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    Inhibitor design

inhib.png

I got nothing to add, other than "painting crystals is really hard."
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    Goddammit. It's so simple, yet so awesome haha.
  • Afklamer
    Offline / Send Message
    ooh boy,love it !
  • avenali312
    Offline / Send Message
    avenali312 polycounter lvl 8
    anglorum wrote: »
    Goddammit. It's so simple, yet so awesome haha.

This pretty much sums up what I was thinking as well. Great job so far. Watching your process is inspirational.
  • Sweetangel0467
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    Absolutely stunning work. I love how you iterate so much and can even say it sucks when it already looks pretty ok.
    You've got some major dedication it seems.

And yes.. painting crystals is a pain in the b*** :poly105:

Keep going I'd say. You're really nailing that LoL style.
  • D_Wall
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    I really like your designs and I particularly like your sketch work; how strong your lines are and how clean they are, even though it looks like pen, sticks out to me. You have my respect man.

Shame you haven't posted since 11/03; i hope you've been working cz i really want to see what you did! :D