Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Church of Light

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
Hi everyone!

I created a tribute to one of the best works of Tadao Ando - Church of Light.
I did this in UE4 to learn the engine (materials, particles etc) and to try something different.
Modeling was done in 3ds Max and everything else is pretty much the UE4.
Hope you enjoy and if you have any questions, feel free to ask them.
Any critique and comment is welcome!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-os1a9Bv6tI"] Church of Light [/ame]

Turn on the volume and please watch it in HD. :)

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Very well done ! Totally accurate, it was a pleasure to watch.

There's not much to criticize really - the only thing I could think of would be to maybe show the blueprint of the building at the end of the video, especially since the design seems so deceptively simple at first glance.

Great stuff !
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you pior! Hearing that from you is even more amazing.
    Yeah at the start it was hard getting the walls and different heights right as its not really a "normal" design. But at the end it somehow worked out.
    I could try and create a blueprint/xray material and do couple shots of that.
    Cheers!
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Overall this was well done. It seems like a really interesting architectural interior space.

Super nit-picky critiques:

at 0:32 you've got some really minor lightmass artifacts on your frames.

at 0:42 the slight movement on the camera could be made a bit more noticable, right now it seems to be inching pixel by pixel, and seems jerky because of it.

at 1:00 you could probably fade out before the camera actually stops.

at 1:07 maybe at a tree or two made of geo, because the bg image looks flat. The lights on the left don't seem to be blocked at all by the light mesh. Possibly use a lighfunction or something?

Looks great though. keep up the awesome work.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I wanted to finish this off this past week and didn't want to troubleshoot those lightmass glitches. Totally my bad!
    Agree about the movement of the cam. Couldn't really decide what to do, so left it kind of floating.
    That 1:00 bit I left specifically like that as I wanted some moment for viewer to observe it. Might have left it a tad too long though.
    I do have 2 trees there but I moved to the sides as they kind of looked off in there. Again, my bad.
    Thanks for the kind words dude, I really appreciate it!