Home General Discussion

Degree?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Moltar polycounter lvl 7
I know that degrees are not needed for 3D modeling but say I wanted to study it as a degree. Under what context would that course fall under? I have checked several Universities and colleges and can find none that offer even a training course in 3D modeling.

Replies

• visoutre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    visoutre polycounter lvl 6
    Well there are animation degrees that cover some basic 3D modeling classes, but if you want a degree be prepared to do a lot of irrelevant electives. And in animation schools they really stress the character side of things rather than environments or modeling, so if there are specifically game art degrees go for those. Still I don't regret my experiences at school.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    3D modeling is a tool not a degree subject. You need to learn something like graphic design illustration or architecture. Game art specific degrees are generally not as useful as a degree in one of these other subjects. Even if you want to work in the game industry.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Grab stuff that teach basic foundation of art will help a ton too. Life drawing, figure drawing. Painting and what not.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    a degree? Kill it with fire!:poly115:
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    could easily fall into one of the three degree topics sitting on the first three pages of this subforum including the stick :/

but yeah sprunghunt nails it imo
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    A degree makes it way easier to get a visa but cost $, I am facing this question atm. :(
  • Moltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltar polycounter lvl 7
    My friend did design in Uni, on his final semester he had the choice to study 3D design in a digital format. He completed the course and is now employed in London as a 3D modeler, dream job imo. I could do the same course as him but I was just curious if there is a course out there that cuts straight to 3D modeling without having to go through all sorts of other subjects like my friend had to.

Edit - I found a course in Belfast that will teach you how to use 3DS Max and helps you into a career.

Some Colleges also offer a course called "Interactive computing" which gives you minors, E.G. Level 1 - 5.

Game designers are also employed for "asset production" which is strictly 3d modeling/texturing. Game design can be studied full time pretty much anywhere as long as you have A level Maths.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    I have studied at university of Hertfordshire in Hatfield Uk. I am pretty happy with the way they taught us there. You can choose between several courses like animation or games art. I chose animation but I work as modeller so I guess its not a big difference between these courses, maby just tiny one. The education is focused more on creative and artistic part, so be
    prepared to learn anatomy, colour theory, story telling, clay sculpting and much more. Also you will get to learn some basic cultural stuff like intertextuality.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Well there's always Digipen, (did not go there myself and have no idea if it's a good university or not other than the original Portal/Narbacular Drop team was hired from there)

I personally just when to my state university (UConn) and studied Illustration/Studio Arts/BFA stuff, which I thought was a great experience. I'm not sure what your financial status is but keep in mind private schools usually cost A LOT more than state. IE I have 5 years of student loans to pay back (Was in CSE at first, loved the idea of programming, hated all the maths/Chemistry Required gen ed crap) and I still owe waaaay less than my sister who went to Savannah College of Art and Design for 2 years.

There's the whole learn about art history, different schools of thought/art periods (realism vs expressionism, a whole lot of otherisms, etc.), focus on porportions and color theory, and all the other required electives in someling like Studio Arts where you need to take basic photography, painting, drawing, life drawing, digital media, printmaking, graphic design, etc etc so you're bound to pick up a few skills or interests you never thought of.

(classic print making/carving out woodblocks, vinyl, itching, etc was pretty awesomee)

There's also about 50 different topics currently littering the general discussion about college or not, so feel free to browse those too.

[EDIT] Half of this might not apply since I just realized you live in the UK, whoopsie