Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Texture shows strange Flat shading?!

Hello There!

Im seeking help on this matter, since could'nt figure out it by myself.

I sculpted a T-Rex via Dynamesh and created a low poly from it by using the Z-Sphere+Rig method. The Lowpoly got a UV Layout in 3ds max and was
reimported into Zbrush
I then projected my original Scuplt and Polypaint information onto the (appropriately subdivided) new model, and voila! Everything went well; beautiful Sculpt with a cleam topology on the lowest Sub-D level.

Only Problem here: Whenever i Create a Texture from it, while being at the highest possible Sub-D level, the Texture is shows shading faces like it was baked from an entirely flat-shaded mesh. I've attached a picture to illustrate this.

Can you help me out here? I fear my entire Lowpoly might be flawed, as if
the UV-layout had split vertices. (I checked on that, and the Exported model from 3ds Max was smooth with all faces in a Single smoothing group)

Thanks in advance for any good advice!

Replies

• cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If you're not using GoZ with Max, you might want to. Otherwise its very common with 3dsMax models in zbrush to have all the UV faces individually detached and flipped.

Alternatively, you can try baking your texture in a program like Xnormal, so that you wont even have to import the retopologized model into zbrush.
  • Maxashi
    Whoops, i just googled obj and max, and that seems to be the issue here!
    Sry, for creating this needless Thread, but thank you very much four your quick Answer! GoZ really beats the Export presets inside of Max