Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Textures : How am I doing?

Well I've always had a love for hand painted textures but never had a real go at it myself. So, how am I doing?

Here's my first work in progress, its a 2048 x 2048 4-way tiling wood texture (Exciting I know.) Painted in Krita with its awesome Wrap mode enabled. I'm not sure about my value range, I've tried to keep it muted and central, Is this a good practise? Also I've added some color variation to it make it less muddy, I notice a lot of hand painted texture use a fairly mono palette, is there a reason for this?

I'm also keeping high lights separate; as I'd like to generate a normal and specular map from the base once its finished.

handpaintedwood_by_cluly-d8223wj.jpg

Replies

• Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    A 2k texture is probably excessive in size.

• Where's your reference?
    • What look are you aiming to use this texture for?

I'm not sure if it's just me but when I reference a texture as being muddy I don't mean relate it to the color, more the shapes. Your forms in your texture doesn't seem muddy, the shapes are pretty easily readable.

Color ranges depend on each piece in how it relates to the rest of the scene. So if you're noticing a lot of low contrast tiling wood textures for the floors... It's probably because people don't want you to focus on the ground. :p

Overall I think this is a pretty nice simple piece of tiling wood texture. Personally I think a little more contrast could help push the depth of the wood planks and maybe not have such a large gap in between each. Add some nails or rope or something to elude to how this floor( assuming it's a floor ) is put together.
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    its nice, I think there are too many knots / too repetitive in that respect.
  • rodstone
    It's good how experienced are you? How long did that take
  • Cluly
    Less knots and brought the planks closer together. @Gannon, I didn't use a reference, just my desk really.

handpaintedwood_by_cluly-d822v46.jpg
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    All I see are knots...there are no unique striations and such. I would definitely use some ref...whether that's other hand painted woods or real wood. You'll probably see what you're missing. Not a bad start though...
  • turpedo
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    The wood planks are looking pretty wobbly, I would straighten some of them out to fix that issue.

I think that you could very up your details too. It seems like they are all too similar in frequency,size, and values.
  • Cluly
    Thanks guys, I'll redress those issues in the morning. :)
  • WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    This has a pretty nice feel to it. I agree that the knots need varying and to have less of them (perhaps bigger, too?). The colour variation is nice.

And in response to your question about mono palettes I think most tiling textures stick with one colour to avoid making the repetition too obvious. I always add too much colour in different spots and end up dialling it down because of this anyway.
  • Cluly
    @WadeWT - That would make sense, I think I did the same when adding in the variations to this one, to much and then dialing it back.
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    can you turn that wood? I agree with what WadeWT says. Also what kind of hand painted style are you going for? Looks really good if your going for realism. I would find a style that you like and copy that. Or maybe you can start a new trend with realistic hand painted textures. Either way it looks good, just break it up.
  • Cluly
    Added in some more grain and value shifts, it's getting borderline realistic so I don't think I will push the detail any more. Probably too many knots still?

handpaintedwood_by_cluly-d826ha1.jpg

wood3d_by_cluly-d826ovq.jpg
  • Boozebeard
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    I really like this. More detail than a lot of hand painted stuff but I really like the effect.
  • elementrix
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 16
    Hey, great work already for your first handpainted texture! It looks very nice if you are aiming for that kind of style(feels a bit sims 3)

The question is what kind of style handpainted textures your really referring to when you say "love for handpainted textures". Name a game and take a good look at how they keep it from starting to look realistic. Ussually a lot of small detail is left out and everything is heavily stylished and enlarged to make it much more appealing to the eye.

I think one mistake you are making here is that you are keeping a very close look at your wood. If this would be a wooden floor in a game of some sorts you'll probably see it from a couple of meters (if not more). Check how your texture is tiling from a distance and if you are getting that look you love so much.
  • Cluly
    @elementrix - I guess I should say stylized hand painted textures. I think I'll do that from a distance to check it, it does seem close, thanks.

@Boozebeard - Thanks man :)
  • Cluly
    More from a distance ... It's hard to gauge without anything else for scale, I would probably reduce the contrast in it if I made a variation for a floor I think, especially the darks between the planks. Here's a quick OpenGL render from Blender with some lighting.

wooddistance_by_cluly-d827bnw.jpg
  • elementrix
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 16
    You can also see that your knobs are tiling way to much. So if you want to include those I'd say you'd have to increase the amount of planks you have in your sheet (at least double), or if you want to keep that amount I would remove the knobs completely and keep a really clean look.

More planks in your sheet will also allow you to cut of planks horizontally so it starts looking more like a floor, this will also help to add some slight value/color variations to entire planks which will break up the monotony.
  • Cluly
    I'd never have thought about doing that *facepalm* I'll have ago at that next and the plank lengths, also less knots; it's over powering from that distance for sure.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I definitely agree with Elementrix and Torpedo.

Depending on what you do with this texture you may want to consider adding a story to it.

wood_practice__zps6270b797.png~original

Obviously this only works if you're just trying to practice your materials. It's a way of making a boring study way more interesting. Do you have plans to create a full scene yet?
  • Cluly
    @Gannon - Ha! That's brilliant! I'll remember that, and the detail frequency is something I didn't consider, but does have quiet a good effect, it certainly breaks it up.

I started painting out a tiling roof texture today between shifts so I might put a scene together with the textures I'm working on. I'll get back to the wood texture on monday after I finish working the weekend and incorporate these fantastic crits I'm getting from you guys.