Home General Discussion

What do you think about ArtStation?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
final_fight polycounter lvl 9
Here it is:

http://www.artstation.com/

Personally, I hope it will replace CGHubs in some time.

Replies

• unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    It is the best at this moment. IMO a lot better than CGhub (RIP) in the matter of fact.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I think they need to fix their RSS feed...

I'm glad they finally added one but it's pretty useless without images or separate feeds for individual artists. Even DeviantArt does this right... :|
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    There is thread on this topic.
  • Isaiah Sherman
  • final_fight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    final_fight polycounter lvl 9
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    There is thread on this topic.

Sorry, used search, but found nothing.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    The real question is, what do you guys think about Drawcrowd?

ArtStation is just the new CGhub already I guess.
  • leonardteo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leonardteo polycounter lvl 4
    Yo, it's Leo from ArtStation.

@AtticusMars What was the issue with the RSS feed? If you got any issues, please submit bug reports please. They really help!

Ask me anything guys. Or hit me up on Facebook.

Cheers,

Leo
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    leonardteo wrote: »

@AtticusMars What was the issue with the RSS feed? If you got any issues, please submit bug reports please. They really help!

Cheers,

Leo

uh Leo very long time no see :o

whatever you guys did with the icons in the last update, can you change it back? when i posted my first images it used my cropped icon, now it uses whatever it finds in all of the images, some times the last image, often a still from a linked video. That really destroys the appeal of a lot of galleriers showing work in progress steps.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I frikkin love art station.
  • leonardteo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Neox! Sorry about that, we did a big update yesterday and broke the asset ordering, which is why the thumbnails are all screwed (it's showing the wrong thumbnail if you have more than one asset per project). We're working on it right now and will issue a patch shortly.

Leo
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    leonardteo wrote: »

Cheers,

Leo
    The RSS feeds seem to be gone (or at least I can't find it) but the problems I had were pretty straightforward

1) The RSS feed had no images. For a site that is entirely images, it's not very useful to have a text-only feed. I get hundreds of posts in my RSS feed every day, if I see a post ambiguously titled "orc" with no image or description, I'm just going to ignore it and keep scrolling.

Pretty much every site on the internet that lets users post images also puts them in their RSS feed. It doesn't have to be fullsize images, just putting up thumbnails would be sufficient.

2) You can't get feeds for individual users. It's nice that you could see featured/trending art, but I want to be able to subscribe to feeds for individual artists and only see updates from them.

These don't really seem like bugs so it didn't seem appropriate to submit them there

Other than that the sites great
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Leonard, While you are checking this thread. I just want to say thanks to you and your team for taking the initiative and the business move to do this.

How do you feel the launch so far has gone and what do you see of the future of art station? That is if there is much that you are willing to say.

But i don't think anyone at this stage can be critical of anything you guys have done. Great work all around!
  • leonardteo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars:

Ok wait a min - how are you trying to get to the RSS feeds? The feeds themselves should be detected by your browser (if your browser supports it but few do these days), and you should be able to just put in "http://www.artstation.com" into your reader as the site has RSS embedded in the source of every page:

The feeds are:

Picks
    http://www.artstation.com/artwork.rss

Latest
    http://www.artstation.com/artwork.rss?sorting=latest

Note that we cannot do a feed for Trending because RSS by nature is chronological and Trending is not - i.e. it's possible for an item to be in 1st position, then 5th, then 1st again, messing up the feeds on many people's readers that cache the items.

This is what the feed looks like on my reader:
    http://cl.ly/image/2d0q1j0v291P

And for reference, it does show all full assets, not just thumbnails:
    http://cl.ly/image/3E2X2V0X0b47

2. Ok for individual feeds, do you mean individual RSS feeds or actually just be able to see an individual's feed (or create customized feeds) for My Feed?

Leo
  • leonardteo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Muzz

Thanks for the kind words.

Overall the launch has gone very well and ArtStation has grown sizeably to now over 500,000 unique visitors per month, 12.5 million page views. That's very rapid growth and we see this doubling in 6 months.

That's not to say there weren't hiccups and cock ups along the way. We still have a sizeable bug list to address and as you can see from this thread there are still lots of refinements to do (though sometimes stuff just doesn't work right or was just a plain stupid idea). But overall it has done very well. :)

As far as future developments are concerned, we'll be addressing this to a wider audience later this year in terms of vision. Just that right now there's still a lot to do and many unanswered questions that have to be solidified first.

Cheers,

Leo
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I'm using Google's RSS Subscription Extension for Chrome and it doesn't detect an RSS feed at ArtStation. It was there a couple weeks ago when I checked last, not sure what happened.

And I apologize, you're right, it does display images if I add it to my reader, just for whatever reason the images don't appear in the chrome feed preview. Sorry, I should have tried adding it before complaining heh

Not sure I understand your question, but by individual feeds I mean an individual RSS feed that only collects posts from a specific user.

Example from DA: http://backend.deviantart.com/rss.xml?q=gallery%3Aartbytheo%2F21543186&type=deviation

That's a feed of only user artbytheo's gallery
  • leonardteo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Atticus!

Ok thanks for letting me know.

1. I'll test on Google RSS Subscription Extension for Chrome. I didn't check on that.

2. Will add the RSS feed to user profile pages. Thanks for bringing that up. We'll wait until the new profile pages go live in a few weeks then add it.

Cheers!

Leo
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Thanks, you have no idea how happy I am to hear that
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for replying Leonard! Just the fact that you are directly interacting with artists in and out of art station is awesome.

Also I'm super glad to hear things on that side are going great!
  • leonardteo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No probs! Thanks guys. As mentioned, feel free to hit me up on Facebook, and also do speak directly to us via the ArtStation intercom. We're very responsive.

Cheers,

Leo