Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Xbox One (WIP)

Hi everyone, me again. I just wanted to share with you all something little I'm working on. My girlfriend was talking to me about my modelling telling me I need to diversify my work a bit (I work on cars too much!). So I decided to make something relatively simple but as accurate as possible and get out of the habit of "that will do" and be more in the realms of "yeah, that's pretty much perfect".

Not only is this just something to diversify my portfolio, but to build skills in basic modelling, texturing, lighting and rendering. Please tell me if I'm going wrong anywhere. Crits welcome.

For reference:

games_xbox_27026395.jpg
xbox_one_8.jpg

aErfrUU.jpg
EXU4Cwt.jpg
sQXQaqE.jpg
2IhsuWS.jpg

Now the reason I have focused on this render is because I would like to see if people think this is the correct topology, the rounded edges are a nightmare to my topology, I have worked them to try and get the cleanest topology I could think of. Is there a better way to have rounded edges (I have Googled this to no avail).

2eRpSAQ.jpg

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if you had modeled a PS4 you could have upped your polygon/texture budget a bit... lawl! :D
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Nice and Clear Modell! =)
  • Shurkuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shurkuris polycounter lvl 3
    SPLieqq.png

I'm not sure where to start with your Back Panel, but to point out some obvious things...

//Green Outline\\
    (1) I'm not saying this is perfect, but in both areas that you have, they look relatively clean straight lines and isn't to cluttered.

//Red Outline\\
    (1) But then on the opposite side, it's filled with extra lines and/or slanted. I don't know what your doing, but you've got a lot of unevenness in those parts.

//Orange Outline\\
    (1) I just circled a couple of areas that you could merge vertices without losing the form.
  • SimonAlbon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, this is exactly what I was looking for in the crit :)
    The reason it goes a bit, well, crap there is because of the edge loops. I had to connect the edges from the connection ports into the circular power port to keep quad topology. Obviously it's getting messier with the more swiftloops that are added. Should I separate that part so I can keep cleaner topology?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I would add 2 extra loops around the oval inset, on the flat part of the geometry, and terminate some edge loops there.
  • SimonAlbon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've taken the crit into account and made changes accordingly, thanks everyone :)
    I'll make sure to post another update when I've made better progress (which will probably be once it's textured).

Quick question for now, is there a better way of making the squares that have smooth corners? Chamfering seems to require a lot of cleaning up afterwards to seem efficient.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I like to clean up one square, duplicate it around and just slide vertexes aound.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    one thing to remember is, if you have a flat surface, it's ok to kill of a Edge in a tri.
    Saves you from many lines going all over the place.

Ex. Shurkuris has on the first picture, if you can by chance just kill of the edge going around somewhere that doesn't disturb the modell do it!
  • SimonAlbon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noted thank you :)

Also, one other question, in regards to welding vertices together, obviously it creates tris in most instances. Nobody seems to have a definitive answer as to whether a model should contain all quads and hardly any tris, or if it's acceptable for a model to contain quite a few tris in order to keep polycount lower and clean up the topology.
  • Shurkuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shurkuris polycounter lvl 3
    Quads are mostly their for animation or getting clean meshes when you have Subdivisions.

If your model is just a static-prop or isn't required to be animated in any way. Tris won't hurt it, it's just a good habit to keep as much quads instead of Tris so you can apply that methodology for all models.

(Remember that if you try to do Loop-cuts, they won't work to well if their is a Tri in the way, so you have to conscious about where to place them. Practice makes perfect)
  • SimonAlbon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shurkuris wrote: »
    Quads are mostly their for animation or getting clean meshes when you have Subdivisions.

If your model is just a static-prop or isn't required to be animated in any way. Tris won't hurt it, it's just a good habit to keep as much quads instead of Tris so you can apply that methodology for all models.

(Remember that if you try to do Loop-cuts, they won't work to well if their is a Tri in the way, so you have to conscious about where to place them. Practice makes perfect)

Makes perfect sense, I'm guessing in an application such as the Xbox One, it doesn't really matter as it's hard surface so wouldn't need to be animated in such a way to distort the mesh. Thanks for the clear answer.
  • SimonAlbon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update, I've been a little busy lately with university so haven't had a great deal of time to work on this, but I've been putting in the more complex details when I am working on it. Now, I have just done the Xbox logo and font, however, many of you on here will probably cringe at the topology of it, and that's why I am doing this update. I would really really really appreciate it if someone could provide me with a better way of doing something like this.

9K8AFt1.jpg
    KHl7TXW.jpg

EDIT: Also I understand that in a practical situation these kind of details would be textured on, but I'm developing my core modelling skills mainly, so I want to model almost everything.
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    you could have done this with a floater as well, nicely done so far
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can actually do both - model everything, then bake it into a low-poly version.