Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for a portfolio advice.

Hello there,

I'm a junior 3D artist and i recently made a portfolio site using ArtStation.
I have only 1 work ATM, its a game asset - stylized ballista.

You can see it here: http://goo.gl/qebsas

I dont have alot of experience as a 3D artist, so i would like to ask you for an advice: how do you think, is this asset good enough to put it in portfolio?

Replies

• CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    I think it looks good. Keep making more work and practicing. Keep adding the things to your folio that are your best works. Once you have a few pieces begin to remove your older or less attractive looking pieces. Quality over Quantity is key

Keep going 1st piece is looking ok
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    You need to keep pumping out models.

overall layout of website is good.
    display your CV/resume is important, can't find it.

Just keep producing.Your ballista is looking good. If you feel comfortable try using different styles (but must maintain same quality). This will make you more attractive to more companies.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Try doing realistic assets, you learn more and they are valued a lot more
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Shrike wrote: »
    Try doing realistic assets, you learn more and they are valued a lot more

I don't agree with this at all. If you can do stylized work REALLY WELL, that is just as valuable. I will say that being able to do more real world props will help broaden your chances at getting jobs though.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Well yes, either way the result is the same. Narrowing down on hand painted stuff is narrowing down Studios you could work with. Sure if you are a god in hand painted stuff you will find one of the few positions for sure, but thats not a recommendation to make
    in general.
  • OnePieceOneDay
    Thank you for feedback guys. Yeah, adding something realistic seems logical.

Shrike, can you pease exaplin why i will learn more by doing realistic assets?