Home Technical Talk

3D Printing with 100% accurate scale - Need tips

Vii
Vii
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Vii polycounter lvl 6
Hi,

I am trying to print an object that clips onto a PS Vita joystick.

I got a vita for Destiny remote play with PS4 - but the joysticks are so small that it's impossible to accurately or efficiently adjust my aim so I need to make them a LOT taller with extensions, but no one sells these so I want to print my own.

I have questions because I've never 3D printed before, there's a place near me that can do it or I can use my contacts at the university's engineering department to have them do it.

I will be using Maya 2013. This is the website for the place I would get it done at: http://wellingtonmakerspace.com/lasercutter/ - there is a lot of irrelevant info on that page, though, but it does say their materials etc.

- What material is best to use for this? It must be durable and non scratching/damaging
- For the design of the 3D model how can I be sure that the scale is completely accurate down to the last 16 point float that Maya offers? <- well.. ok maybe not THAT accurate
- Any tips for making it clip on? Vita's joysticks are actually so incredibly small that there's not much to work with in the first place - I saw someone use a rubber analog cap and glue it to the bottom of the extensions but I'd like a nicer solution and also it's not like I can walk into a store in New Zealand and buy those. I'd have to order international and it takes a VEEERY long time. The place linked above says they do 'stamp rubber' - I'm not sure what that is and googling isn't giving me a solid answer although I didn't spend long looking.

Cheers guys.

Replies

• rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    Their 3d printers are all FFF (fused filament fabrication), so they'll be printing using a coil of plastic of some sort. You definitely won't get 100% accuracy, but you might get close enough. It will likely take a few iterations to get the proper scale.. you might find things scale longer in one axis that the others. Or maybe you'll need to orient your 3d files differently to get the result you want (they probably handle that bit since you won't really have access to how the models are set up in the printer software). They might be able to tell you how to adjust the scale of your model before hand to reduce the number of tries to get what you want, e.g. scale it up or down 2% or something.

As for the rubber stamp, I'm guessing they actually mean a rubber stamp. So it's probably just taking a flat piece of rubber and carving out a pattern in it. From looking at the printers on their page you're probably limited to PLA and maybe ABS for your materials. ABS is the same plastic that most hard plastic consumer items are made of.
  • FelixL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL polycounter lvl 4
    I'd get it printed by shapeways and choose one of their more expensive detail materials. The Vita sticks are small, so getting proper accuracy will be an issue. Maybe it's best to print several versions, with some being "too thick" so you can file/sand them down to make them fit.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I have a Mendel90 printer, using Maya to process my models and Slic3r to slice it(prepare for the printer). My centimeter setting in Maya transfers well to the actual print size in my experience. But you won't get any extreme precision with any consumer grade FFF printer. Using STL as my export-format from Maya to Slic3r.

Their software might treat Z as the up axis and not Y as Maya does. Also it's good to orient/place your model so it has a big contact area to the printer surface. I.e. have your big flat surface towards Z- direction give that they treat Z as their up-axis. If possible try to avoid overhanging by design and/or orientation when printing. If you do need supports, will the place that prints for your take care of cleaning these up and any other pre-processing of the printer model or is that up to you?