Home Technical Talk

Zbrush details projecting issues

asdaq
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
asdaq polycounter lvl 4
Hi,

I am struggling with projecting details from my HP sculpt onto LP that's been retopologized and unwrapped in Max.

The reason I want it back in ZB is to polypaint.

Here's what I got so far:
LP:
db4QakS.jpg

HP:
csqpcG7.jpg

HP body:
xyYj3gC.jpg

HP skin bits:
9zi8xRt.jpg

Single HP subtool uesd for projecting the details from is made of the two body and skin bits subtools merged together (merged but not remeshed, so the inner part of the skin bits is still there after merging - mentioning it in case it may spur ideas)

Alignment:
Z4Aw3Oo.jpg

Results:
5qgJJ68.jpg

There are clearly visible places where something went wrong.
I tested projecting just the main body without the skin bits and it works quite well. However if I try to use the skin bits then the projecting gives funky results.
I tried to play with the project all settings but if I manage to adjust the settings to make some part of the mesh project properly - some new issues appear somewhere else on the model and I'm back to square one.

Question is: Does anybody have an idea what may be causing this issues and how to solve them?
Should I prepare the HP sculpt differently?

And if you reached that far - big thanks for reading this novel ;)

Cheers,
AQ

Replies

• Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    I think the issue here is that projecting works when your projecting one subtool to another, however your trying to project one subtool to several others (the slime/skin defects aswell as the body sculpt).

This would also explain why your low poly projects to the body sculpt absolutely fine, and also demonstrates that the errors you have are exactly where the slime subtool is.

Have you tried merging you skin defects and body into one subtool before projecting your low poly to it?
  • asdaq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asdaq polycounter lvl 4
    @Dave Jr
    Hey, thanks for a quick response.

Yeah, results so far makes me thinking same thing. About your question:

Single HP subtool uesd for projecting the details from is made of the two subtools -body and -skin bits merged together (merged but not remeshed, so the inner part of the skin bits is still there after merging - mentioning it in case it may spur ideas)

If that's what you had in mind then yes - I tried that.

I didn't try to merge and remesh the HP sculpt to get one continous HP mesh - but that seems to defeat the purpose a bit as I will have to use exactly the same technique to achieve that.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The reason I want it back in ZB is to polypaint.

You could just polypaint on the HP sculpt itself. Leave the texture baking to Xnormal or similar program.
  • asdaq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asdaq polycounter lvl 4
    @cryrid

Big thanks! I needed a hint of a different approach. I wasn't aware of the possibility of creating GUV tiles based on HP sculpt polypainting.

For others who might wander here looking for a similar solution:

http://eat3d.com/free_zbrush_xnormal_pipe

AQ
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You wont even need UVs on the sculpt. That tutorial is a bit outdated now; Xnormal can read and bake polypaint directly from the high res OBJ.
  • asdaq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asdaq polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks! Will test that as soon as possibile.