polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Afklamer polycounter lvl 7
Uhm, well yeah thats my manly chest: =D

chest_02.jpg

chest_01.jpg

chest_txt.jpg
This is also the size I paint in.

I spent a few fun evenings on this, and felt like sharing.
If you guys have any feedback you're more than welcome to post =)

cheers

Replies

• Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    You've got a really nice painting style man. I do think it's missing a final pass to sharpen up some of the major edges. You could use some higher contrasting hues to pop the major forms. Maybe add in a little lighting.

I think the chest isn't grounded though. I can't tell where this particular asset would be located. It's still relatively clean and there isn't any where of any kind on it.

Like if it was in a swamp i could see it having moss and the wood be slightly rotten. Or if it was in a furnace area having Soot, ash and maybe burn marks.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Hmmm... cool chest yes. Manly chest? I dunno.

I'd echo what Gannon says. What's the story with this? The rendering of the texture is good. Everything is there. It's lacking a purpose though. I guess a study just to render a texture sure it's awesome. But as a stand alone piece it's lacking.
  • JunkieKong
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong interpolator
    Needs to be full of scotch and cigars and beards. But seriously, your painting skills awesome - maybe a 2K texture is a tad extreme just for a chest though, perhaps downsize the texture and tighten up some areas and you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
  • DireWolf
    haha when I saw the topic I was expecting chest as in part of the body. Surprise!
  • dschmidt3d
    Offline / Send Message
    dschmidt3d polycounter lvl 6
    That is a pretty cool chest and a lovely art style to boot. I agree with Jeff and Gannon. Maybe you could add some more props to it and make a little diorama scene or something.
  • Afklamer
    Offline / Send Message
    Afklamer polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys, thanks for the great input! I do aprriciate it!
    I agree, the chest was more a little fun thing I did in my spare time and it shows, by lacking any contextual thought but I'd like to change that.
    So I say "Challange accepted!" =D

I blocked out a diorama I want to do. I think I'm going for an orkish savannah tribal thingy ( always wanted to do that =D)
    Any thoughts on it? I know its early but hey maybe im already missing something. I'm also wondering if it is apropriate to open a new thread for this, havent been posting that much around here =)

cheers

diorama_01.jpg
    diorama_02.jpg
  • dschmidt3d
    Offline / Send Message
    dschmidt3d polycounter lvl 6
    It would be cool if the chest was open and had some kind of loot in there. When definitely draw attention to it.
  • felipealves
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 11
    A dry tree verion with less dense foliage would fit better imo, right now it looks too beautiful and green even without texture. I don't think that orcs likes too much beautiful and green foliage.

You could also add some skulls hanging on the trees :)
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Chest looks great, love the style.