Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Evironment/level WIP

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
toxkillfraex polycounter lvl 9
Oh hai... Mostly looking for input and feedbackish stuff on this little project of mine. Modeled in 3DsMax, built up in UDK (unreal3) and textured with photoshop, mostly with RGB masks.

JoykeDeReyst_LvlWIP6_zps1b586310.jpg

I've been fiddling about with this for about a month worth of time (though in reality it's been in my hands for 2 months I had school retakes and this particular one I started to love a bit too much and gave a full overhaul over the previous two weeks)

I figured out quite a bit of things on grid based work since I did all the assets from the ground up in max. I could use a bit more practice on that matter, but I grasp the tools and means to make this happen properly now.

Found out about potential pathing issues with scripted things like doors and just in general with ladder volumes, had ton of fun with making a big fat material for everything ever and managed to add in some nice flickering lighting.

JoykeDeReyst_LvlWIP7_zpsf01a283e.jpg
JoykeDeReyst_LvlWIP5_zps8d18741e.jpg

JoykeDeReyst_LvlWIP1_zps76c957e2.jpg

JoykeDeReyst_LvlWIP2_zpsce139742.jpg

JoykeDeReyst_LvlWIP3_zps509d9d46.jpg

JoykeDeReyst_LvlWIP4_zps2894174e.jpg

JoykeDeReyst_LvlWIP6_zps1b586310.jpg

On a little side note the original goal for the exam was to make a playable unreal level for 2 - 4 players. Own assets were highly optional, but I decided to get jiggy with it and then it grew out of proportion becoming pretty much unsuitable for 2 player play.

Replies

• toxkillfraex
    Offline / Send Message
    For those who are curious a close up of the floating screens of zero significance at the moment.

Untitled-1_zps031cd693.jpg

The scanline on the left screen is controllable and removable. The camera part of it can flicker or not as desired and easily replaced with other instances of the base material which has grown grossly out of proportion but still serves my every need.

And the 3 base texture maps that are still being expanded and fiddled with.

Texture_zps92c512ce.jpg

DirtMasks_zps030e9fa3.jpg

TextureGlow_zpsbaf98b74.jpg

The currently unused space will hopefully/should be filled up with the props to come. Spec and gloss have been repeatedly forgotten by me and are on my todo list now.

There is a normal map mostly to account for holes and miscellaneous things not very special and mostly generated in photoshop with height maps.
  • toxkillfraex
    Offline / Send Message
    Inserting the first proper props and added the spec and gloss... I feel a bit slow at the moment

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP9_zpsc009caa7.jpg

LvlWIP8_zpsc2e81c1a.jpg
  • toxkillfraex
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some more screenshots in a few hallways I envisioned as malfunctioning

LvlWIP10_zpsf1cd183b.jpg

LvlWIP11_zps0dde2c9f.jpg

LvlWIP12_zps4677a94b.jpg

LvlWIP13_zpsf927ff7a.jpg
  • Zieg_Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Zieg_Reborn triangle
    I would focus on one small area and fully do the diffuse, spec, gloss, and normals from start to finish. Right now it seems like you have a good hold on the design of the level, but are spreading yourself thin on the art by doing a very little bit of everything.

Depending on the art style you are shooting for, the lighting feels a bit flat and uninteresting. It looks like you are working modularly, which is good.

A few critiques I have for the textures you have right now are:

- Floor panels look extremely flat, with no normals/spec/gloss visible.
    - Try to avoid putting in pure blacks in your textures unless for very specific applications, especially avoid them in large cracks/gaps between hard surface materials and objects. Small cracks/gaps are ok, but larger ones become increasingly unrealistic.
    - I really like your Tron-style illumination, but I would put more time into lighting them intentionally, to further sell the effect.
    - Spend some time on each material you are working with to achieve the desired effect. This will deter from everything looking very plastic-ey.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to the progress!
  • toxkillfraex
    Offline / Send Message
    I would focus on one small area and fully do the diffuse, spec, gloss, and normals from start to finish. Right now it seems like you have a good hold on the design of the level, but are spreading yourself thin on the art by doing a very little bit of everything.

Depending on the art style you are shooting for, the lighting feels a bit flat and uninteresting. It looks like you are working modularly, which is good.

A few critiques I have for the textures you have right now are:

- Floor panels look extremely flat, with no normals/spec/gloss visible.
    - Try to avoid putting in pure blacks in your textures unless for very specific applications, especially avoid them in large cracks/gaps between hard surface materials and objects. Small cracks/gaps are ok, but larger ones become increasingly unrealistic.
    - I really like your Tron-style illumination, but I would put more time into lighting them intentionally, to further sell the effect.
    - Spend some time on each material you are working with to achieve the desired effect. This will deter from everything looking very plastic-ey.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to the progress!

You literally made my day!
    I'm currently running blind on my gut feeling with what I already knew. One of the things I knew and still know very little about is lighting so every time somebody points anything out on lighting it's a big fat experiment trying to get the idea out.

Anyhow lets see what your input can give me as a result.
  • toxkillfraex
    Offline / Send Message
    Just for fun a progress set of the room I'm going to focus on right now as per given advice.

Joyka_DeReyst_ProgressShot_zps8538cb8b.jpg

And the attempt at reaching a better light set up. I like to think I have at least managed to insert more of what the glow map looks like into the light set up as wel.

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP11_zps6052a3cc.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP12_zps6c85d461.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP13_zps8c58e02d.jpg

I've also seen allot more of the specular pop up not sure if the screenshots are representative of this or if I'm having a case of wishful thinking. The only real change to the material at the moment is making the dark blackish stuff more greyish. I'll probably redo my dirt/damage maps soon-ish so these parts don't feel left out or under-defined which I kinda think they do feel like now.

Lighting is still a big yes for input =3
    I've also let more indirect lighting play a role. Still kind of toying with the idea of inputting some soft soft fill light to make the green cast of on the white floor less strong.

Also noticed during my own plays of the level as intended and that of others that I often ignored or forgot that the weapon pick-ups were there. So I made a slight attempt of changing this with some lighting work.
  • toxkillfraex
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the art of the level. Is this level meant to be played in the base UDK game; AKA UT3? This style is very inconsistent with that of Unreal Tournament and thus seems a bit odd. In fact, the first thing I thought when I saw this. . .Timesplitters 2. It looks like it would fit right at home there.

Anyway, that isn't really important as I assume this doesn't really need to fit into a game anyway. So ignore my thoughts on style if you like haha.

Moving on, could you please post a few none game-view pictures of the level so we can see the actual light actors? That should make it easier to give some feedback regarding your lighting.

I can absolutely understand and see your point on the art of the level in relation to how most meant to be played as UT3 level works look, especially compared to the official maps.
    However, seeing my peers doing exactly the same thing prompted me to attempt to do something different. I might also have been influenced by timesplitters since it's one of the games I have fond memories of, but then again I didn't touch it in some years.

Anyho in an attempt to adress your 'show the light actors' point.

Lighting_WIP_zps2c577aa3.jpg
  • toxkillfraex
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to try something different with emissive planes enabled for lighting. I find the result an improvement at the moment.

Highres_Screenshot_00034_zpse7803870.png

Highres_Screenshot_00033_zps56920a1b.png

Lighting_WIP3_zps55c20887.jpg

Lighting_WIP2_zps8d056655.jpg
  • toxkillfraex
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick lazy screenshot before I take a well deserved nap. Lets see what fresh eyes, resfreshed brain and texture fiddling will bring me. (maybe new lighting ideas, maybe new needed prop ideas/ edits) had allot of fun with the cables coming out of the ceiling, but need to define the cables on the planes more...

Also need to put more thought in the pipeworks in general.... Anyhow INPUT WELCOME =D

Untitled-1_zps2cef8396.jpg
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    My eyes are just sort of all over the place here. They don't know where to look. Everything is competing without any focal point, mood or hierarchy to the scene. The contrast needs a lot of work. How much are you referencing from other works?
  • Zieg_Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Zieg_Reborn triangle
    Scott is right, what I meant about the lighting and detail is that you are trying to do too much with too little. Here's an example of a well-lit sci fi room.

sfroom6.jpg

It's by an artist named Ruth Kim (as per google, anyway). See how they put some extra time and effort into the textures, and planning the scene out so it still looks interesting even when it has so little in it? You may want to do some research and look up some reference to add some detail to the scene.

I think another thing that really may be killing the lighting in your scene is Global Ambience. If you have it turned on, try either turning it off, or way, way down.

But first and foremost, work on the modelling and texturing to make your level more interesting before you tackle the lighting. Lighting should be the last thing you do, or close to.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Offline / Send Message

See how they put some extra time and effort into the textures, and planning the scene out so it still looks interesting even when it has so little in it? You may want to do some research and look up some reference to add some detail to the scene.

I think another thing that really may be killing the lighting in your scene is Global Ambience. If you have it turned on, try either turning it off, or way, way down.

But first and foremost, work on the modelling and texturing to make your level more interesting before you tackle the lighting. Lighting should be the last thing you do, or close to.

Agreed. Tell a story with the environment. Reference other well designed scenes. What is the story with place? What goes on here and why? Show us.
  • toxkillfraex
    Offline / Send Message
    You three are awesome. I'm at a loss for words. I think I understand the idea of the lighting but lets see if I actually grasp it.
    All the input is really appreciated. I'm not used to this (reasons: 1) new to polycount and 2) only 2 years of 3d experience)

I'm going back to work right away =D
  • toxkillfraex
    Offline / Send Message
    I know where I want the player to look. The exits, the one weapon spawn in this room and the myriad of screens intended as surveillance in the elevated corner. You be the judge if I'm nearing success or succeeding in drawing attention to these points.

I've mostly fiddled with the world properties for lightmass towards a somewhat darker feel, decreased the number of light actors some more. Desaturated the green material instance somewhat.

As a note currently everything (except decals) is derived from one material and what I still want to add in will normally not add more than one more material.

And I actually managed to combine two channels of the textures I'm using into one freeing up more options to use for the screens which admittedly still could use allot of work as things stand now.

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP16_zps323e223e.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP15_zps415652cc.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP17_zps0059ff24.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP14_zps1044b4c8.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP18_zpsd0e3797a.jpg

I'm probably going to experiment with the world settings some more (not sure if I want to postprocess atm) and work on the textures (not the glow maps last time they sucked up a ton of time that they don't need at the moment in my opinion. Something the rest needs more... In my opinion)
  • toxkillfraex
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, how about some pictures of the other parts of the level?

I am focusing on finishing everything zone by zone now, which means I didn't redo the lighting everywhere yet. I removed allot of light actors but that's about it... I also realized I never gave a full layout overview of sorts. I'd use the wire views but... I personally find it hard to read at this point.

I'll neglect to reshow the A room since that's where I've been doing the majority of shown changes to begin with.

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP19_zpseccaef19.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP20_zpsffb79fb1.jpg

Screens of the B room

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP23_zps44b936b6.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP22_zps7e77278c.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP24_zpse2285da5.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP27_zps0d22dc2f.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP28_zpsa7ae8d2f.jpg

C Room

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP32_zps9e3b87d9.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP25_zps652cc898.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP26_zps3a30c173.jpg

The inbetween rooms

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP29_zps5b0b4ef8.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP21_zps4922c67c.jpg

Submerged room. I've set the light to flicker here.

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP30_zps82b5e7d2.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP31_zps9be0f2ca.jpg
  • toxkillfraex
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a few days off and then threw myself back in head first. Fully redid lighting and desaturated the second material a bit. Added a few doors and I'm going back to material editing. I have also made up my mind where I want to go with the whole visual get up. I was switching back and forth allot on a few details internally, because of how I feel like I'm still green as hell behind the ears... Decided to ignore that and jump in on risks that I'll hopefully be able to share in the coming days.

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP10_zpsd6f91d06.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP09_zps9bf62414.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP08_zps73703bc0.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP07_zps3e7a858b.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP06_zps3118d92b.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP05_zpsf0c23ed9.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP04_zpsf0c23ed9.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP03_zps2702693f.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP02_zpsc40127b7.jpg

Joyka_DeReyst_LvlWIP01_zpsc1a7e095.jpg
  • iconoplast
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    I think a lot of the 'visual clutter' comments are ultimately stemming from the large spacing between both floor tiles and wall tiles. The large lines are really distracting and I can't think of a reason they would be spaced that way.

Most important to me, though? I want to thank you for remembering that the future will still have colors. I have seen SO many scifi rooms/hallways that are white/gray/black (in order of frequency) that I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who knew. ;)
  • toxkillfraex
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast wrote: »
    I think a lot of the 'visual clutter' comments are ultimately stemming from the large spacing between both floor tiles and wall tiles. The large lines are really distracting and I can't think of a reason they would be spaced that way.

Most important to me, though? I want to thank you for remembering that the future will still have colors. I have seen SO many scifi rooms/hallways that are white/gray/black (in order of frequency) that I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who knew. ;)

I'm glad you're making the visual clutter comment. Somebody else said something along those lines to me personally, but I was kinda in doubt about the statement as was. Having somebody independently echo that gives something I'm not entirely for more validity.

The colours have proven allot of fun to work with =3
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Everything is blocking at there is no rest for the eye, everything is the same visual intensity and futhermore mad up of simple shapes.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything is blocking at there is no rest for the eye, everything is the same visual intensity and futhermore mad up of simple shapes.

+1. It's better, but in a "little tweak here and there" sort of way. Look at other artists work and look for contrast and variation of shapes. You have a LOT of squares and a LOT of the same size pieces. What makes the work Zieg posted much better is the contrast between elements. Everything here looks the same so their is no hierarchy to the composition overall.
  • DireWolf
    Seeing so many lights arranging like this, I think you need to look to TRON for inspiration. Lights lead your eye through environment, everything else are kept quite low contrast to not fight with lights while show-case'ing texture/material.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3kSFS66kkQA/UIFIXsnVzWI/AAAAAAAAAQw/y_bWVJoYOvM/s1600/tron.jpg
    http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100309035547/tron/images/e/e9/Tron_legacy_city_2.jpg
  • toxkillfraex
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've been thinking. I appreciate all of the comments, but they also show that I'm missing quite a bit of finesse in this work. The kind that I might not be able to muster in time for my preconceived dead line of this September the twenty first when school for me starts and a bunch of parallel projects as a consequence. I still want to make this more than the skeleton it is now. However, I don't see me doing a big overhaul that would make it visually less busy as you guys've been pointing out quite correctly. I will keep this in mind though for future projects and designs and attempt to balance out the visuals more.

The main goal of learning has definitely been reached, but I don't see the point of spending the sort of time I think I'd need to reach more than just acceptable on this work and tile set. Not to mention I came here for feedback quite too late in the process in retrospect.

I might revisit the base idea in the future, but I'm going to try and finish decorating this and call it a day. It's definitely of a better level than some of my other rushed works of the past years where for example lighting often just fell on the last line of to do or not enough time was spent looking at reference (still a problem here though)

Bottom line is I understand this is highly flawed, but thanks for the tons of feedback it's much appreciated. I'll still post some screenshots as I try to find a decent-ish end point. At least I'll have something not hand painted that will fit on my limited to-be-portfolio that I'll need for this year.

Edit: I'll definitely have to spend more time in designing and researching than I did this time.