Home Technical Talk

Maya 2015 : bug reverting Uv's modification at export + de-assign material

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
-Em'- polycounter lvl 8
Hi, I'm facing a curious bug in my maya. It happened in several files.

I'm working with Unity and my workflow imply that i need to check in Unity, go back tweaking in Maya, export and check again.

But since somes days, my Maya is acting strangy :
- when i make modification on my meshes Uvs and hit "save file" or export to fbx, the changes are reverted to their previous state. Same for "save file", if i re-open the file : the modified meshes are assigned the green default missing material and the Uvs are also reverted.

I did not find anything on internet to solve this problem. if you have any hint or clue of what the hell is happening, let me know ! ^^

more specs about my file :
- i have severals groups named "group A, group B, etc..." and in each one of these groups the mesh i try to modify are all named "platform". not sure if it's relevent or not.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to clarify, the changes are reverted in Maya after saving the Maya scene then reloading it?
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, reverted in Maya.

- Modify uvs in maya > export > uvs reverted to previous state (i'd say before i start editing uvs, unlimited number of actions)

- Modify uvs in maya > save > close maya and restart > uvs reverted.

Really strange T_T
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have write permission on the file/folder you're saving the Maya scene to? Check inside the script window for errors.
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Yes i hadn't any issues before. Also, it seems to only affect some meshes.
    Today i was working with this file and i saved a copy (on the same folder), i modeled some meshes and they were saved correctly (but the materials were "reverted to green shader"). So, i think this is affecting only a group of mesh or theirs uvs to be more accurate.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- wrote: »
    Yes i hadn't any issues before. Also, it seems to only affect some meshes.
    Today i was working with this file and i saved a copy (on the same folder), i modeled some meshes and they were saved correctly (but the materials were "reverted to green shader"). So, i think this is affecting only a group of mesh or theirs uvs to be more accurate.

Best not to check then.

Did you happen to see if any errors show in the Script Editor window when saving or opening?

Late edit: Is everything contained in the same scene file, or are you using assets/references to other files?
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    hi, thanks you for taking the time to help me ^^

I have no errors when i open the file. Here is my window looks like at opening :
    hb25mdv.jpg

As you can see, no obvious pop-up message.

Also, i'm using only one uvset.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not uv sets, but asset references - objects that exist in their own scene files, and are used 'virtually' in your main scene to assemble a map. (like how it works in many game editors).

I don't know much about the workflow with Unity, it looks like it can load .mb or .fbx, are you loading the maya .mb in Unity?
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    I' loading Fbx in Unity, but it seems the problem is withing Maya.
    I don't think i use referenced file, do you know how to checlk ?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's something you'd spend a little time to set up, you're probably not using it if you don't know. I'm pretty stumped here, can't think of a reason why some objects in the same scene would revert like that. There's an old bug but it was inconsistent, but I think that was fixed. Are you deleting the history on the objects?
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Of course I am, delete all histories, freeze transform. everything worked fine until now.
    2+ years i'm using maya and it's a total enigma to me.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's my favorite illogic puzzle!

Ok so is there any pattern to the UVs reverting? Like they're conforming to another similar-named mesh? Try checking Hypergraph With Heirarchy to see if you have any obviously funky inputs. Is it only the normals? I'd try moving the object, then save/reload.

The Optimize Scene Size function can help with weirdness. You can sometimes clean a mesh by combining it with a cube (select cube first), delete history, then deleting the cube faces to force a change in the vertex index.

And check your file/folder permissions. :p

edit: is the file located anywhere in Program Files\ ?
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    I checked permissions, as I said only UVs were reverted and material replaced, my new meshes are saved.

So, after some test, i managed to solve the problem (? well, solved for now). I renamed the meshes who were all sharing the same name "platform" but in differents groups and different topology. I also reassigned materials and now it seems to save properly.

There was also an icon called "construction history", i'm not sure what it is doing but I disabled it. I'll try re-enable it later.

I'll keep this thread updated if any problem come again :p

And Thanks again, you helped me finding what could possibly bug the file.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, that kind of makes sense actually, I ran into something similar-ish with the GoZ 'porter. It ended up exporting the wrong model because of naming and/or namespace. (in my case, exporting the base instead of the morph)

Construction history toggles whether or not an objects history is kept until you clear it.
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Ok so i'm pissed to death.
    Problem isn't solved at all.

Today after a day of work where I didn't encountered that bug, my materials where reverted again. Fortunatly my UVs were properly saved but for one mesh I was working on that bug occured again :

It was a mesh I made some weeks ago as a prototype mesh.
    Today i modified its UVs, then applying the material in maya, than exporting > right after the export window closes, i could see the UVs getting back to their previous state (before i started modifying).

And when i reopenned my file, all materials i reassigned today and yersteday were gone...

grmbl

Edit : here is a poor quality video to show you what's going on :
    http://youtu.be/tWAo0ueU_7c

As you can see at the end, once exported, the mesh is reverted...
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you be willing to send me your scene file? .ma is preferable.
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Hi,

So you may have find something to dig on further... I tried to save as a .ma and got this error line :

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2015/scripts/others/performFileAction.mel line 434: File contains unknown nodes or data. To preserve this information, the current file type cannot be changed. //

Also, I managed to workaround the problem :
    - dupplicate the mesh, merge both, delete the merged and re-export. that way it seems no history is store and export works fine. But i can't afford to do tat everytime i modify my file :/
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legends speak of the Ghost Node, an ancient, deprecated and vengeful being...

Did you maybe have an extra plugin or script running but don't now?
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    I don't have any weird plugin that I haven't last month, and the months before...
    I tried to activate only the necessary plugin in manager... Cleaned my scene, checked for references assets (none found), optimize scene option... Yet nothing seems to work.

The only workaround i found is to dupplicate > merge > clean > export. But it seems to be redundant and happen randomly on meshes...

Oh, and I don't now if it can help, but i'm working on a SSD windows 7-64bit, with admin privileges.
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Newsbreak : when i uncheck the "triangulate" option within the export window, it seems to not undo he mesh states. Because when it export with triangulate, it triangulate on the fly then Undo seamlessly.
  • varkatope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    varkatope polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry for the necropost, but aaaaargh!

I encountered the same problem with Maya 2015 SP5. It is infuriating! It somehow stopped happening after I unchecked and rechecked the Triangulate option in FBX export, but not before I redid my UV layout a couple of times. No idea whether the problem will come back or not, but so far it hasn't even after reboot. Maya has succeeded in making me paranoid. Well, more paranoid.