Home General Discussion

Aesthetics

Hey guys,

I was just wondering the other day, what is aesthetics. Received a critics on my portfolio, saying and I quote "lacking aesthetics".

Confusion, what is aesthetics and are there some rules?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Visual aesthetics is normally the overall look of a game or scene. What I think they meant by that criticism is that technically, your skills in modeling, texturing, and creating an asset are good enough, but when it comes to putting it together in a level, having good art direction, composition, color theory, etc, your portfolio is lacking.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    According to google, it means it lacked 'beauty'. Maybe someone can take a look at your portfolio, and see if they agree with the critics? Your pieces look good to me, but then again, I'm a developer ;)
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    I'd say this video pretty much sums it up. It probably depends on who you ask though.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oK8UTRgvJU[/ame]
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I think the appropriate response to that type of critique would be to ask the person to elaborate. If you don't understand what they mean, say plainly that you would like to improve, but aren't sure what you mean, and ask if they could explain further or give specific examples.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, from what i understand, with "graphics", it's meant to be more technical side to your art. Like, it's well optimized, it has a lot of details, sculpting is nice and polished. Water looks very realistic and detailed and such.

While with aesthetics, it's supposed to be what you see on traditional paintings for example. Colors, composition, motive, lighting...basically, just that it's pleasing to the eye. Like, even if model of pictures technically doesn't look too impressive, those things above make it still look very pretty.

That's how i see it.

Or to maybe put it in another way, i think good aesthetics would mean that it gives you some sort of emotions when you look at it, like this pic:
    http://www.artstation.com/artwork/bloodborne-fanart

It doesn't feel blank and boring, it gives you certain emotion, i'd say that's a good sign of good aesthetics. If you look at some picture and don't really feel much, i'd say aesthetics is one of the things you might wanna check out.

But that's just me really. :P
  • Elodin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So... It's basically a unique, memorable style of the game. The color palette and the feel. Basically, it's own atmosphere if you will. I hope I got it right.

And yet again, for instance I thought Divinity 2 looked good and Fallout 3 was bleak. But that's just my personal opinion...

notman thanks for the comments =)
  • Elodin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky

I really liked that picture.

Are there any general rules on aesthetics, maybe a book or some sort of resource?

I think that would be nice.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    What they mean is that you lack artistic vision.

In my conclusions there are 2 things that makes an artist.
    1 is technical skills, how well you know your tools, and what you can do with them
    2 is your Eye for aesthetics (as I call it)

It appears that different people have different tendencies. Some are shaped to be better with technical knowledge, and some are naturally good with aesthetics.
    Since it is life, and not a game, some poeple have both and some have none and
    all in between. But this is just a initial thing and all needs to be developed.

I knew how to perfectly use photoshop in like the 9th grade to a very high level,
    that did not make me a good artist however, as I lacked artistic vision. Your eye for aesthetics tells you how a shape is going, how proportions need to be, which colors to use, how things look and what makes them look good. Its that what makes
    art. Anyone can use a pencil. Your brain tells you what is right and what is wrong,
    and if your brain dosnt have the experience it will take bad things for correct,
    so even if you can model any shape in your tool, your brain dosnt know how the shape
    needs to look exactly.

Important is that you can learn technical skills by digging through tutorials and
    lots of practice and experimentation. The eye for aesthetics does grow more over time
    however, it is harder to learn. What is important is observation. You will see many things from other artists and real life that will drastically influence your work, not in style, but in quality. Your brain does recognize those patterns and they all
    get saved, and you grow with it.

If you want to work on that part, then make sure you are constantly looking at other peoples work and real life. (aside of lots of practice ofc)

And dont limit yourself to looking at 3d art, you will learn so much from all varied things, even if you dont understand it consciously.
    Look up some art fundamentals on ctrl.paint as colors and proportions and composition can be broken down to science basically. Sites like behance or abduzeedo are great for mixed art.

Damn i really have to have an opinion on everything, do I >.>
    I did think alot about this however
  • Elodin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artistic vision. I think you mentioned it before, while giving critics to my work here on polycount. And I still have the abuzeedo link, thank you very much.

What I struggle with is to understand why this work is, say, aesthetic and why. Or maybe it isn't aesthetic at all and why?

Like you said: if your brain dosnt have the experience it will take bad things for correct
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    This is one of those things that are really difficult to convey in an scientific sense. Some people just have an eye for it, so often the people who are very good at it built off their inherent understanding and can't explain it well when they're asked.

It might be worth looking into design theory for any visual medium, a lot of aspects you can break down into components, and once you learn each foundation your eye for aesthetics should be helped along hugely. Getting this information specific to digital 3D art might be difficult, since digital 3D art is still kind of the baby of the visual media family; but you can take it from almost anything and apply it. I personally learned quite a bit from looking into product design and advertisement, along with web design.

That's just something to think about, though, and I'd suggest sticking to foundation studies for now. Look into the classic art foundations like composition, the golden ratio, color theory, form, texture etc. Might help a little.
    They can definitely be learned, so it'll be a good start.

But uh, I digress... I'm actually posting because the WIP/"coming soon" link on your site is broken. Sent me to http://alexenv.co.uk/index.php, which is a 404 on my end. I'd also remind you to remove your oldest/weakest stuff from your portfolio regularly. :)

Good luck working past this, man.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Elodin wrote: »

What I struggle with is to understand why this work is, say, aesthetic and why. Or maybe it isn't aesthetic at all and why?

I'm going to say beauty instead of aesthetic for now.
    If you're looking for a checklist that's not going to happen. That's not how beauty works. It really is an almost intangible quality.

We can go on about technical solutions and how to model things correctly easily because those things have set rules (almost, there's always a myriad of techniques for everything) whereas there's no such thing for beauty.

The closest you can come to reading up on it is probably reading about composition and color theory. More often it's about developing a feel for it which is gained through experience. But do read some about composition, which I think is huge when it comes to environments.

This is why we can find beauty in very abstract paintings, it's just something that "speaks" to you. And some people unfortunately don't have the eye for it. I can't say 100% certain it can or can't be trained.

THAT BEING SAID

There's also some quite straightforward tips one could give for a lot of your work that are straight up "fixes". I'd say that part is about craftsmanship and an understanding of what you're trying to present.
    This might sound harsh, but a lot of your work looks quite naive and referenced from games rather than real life. I don't know if this is true, but it's a feeling I got.

It's like learning anatomy from looking at already stylized cartoons. Your foundations will be screwed up.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Elodin wrote: »
    Artistic vision. I think you mentioned it before, while giving critics to my work here on polycount. And I still have the abuzeedo link, thank you very much.

Like you said: if your brain dosnt have the experience it will take bad things for correct
    I recommend studying artistic composition. It isn't anything specific to games or 3D. You could learn it just as well studying courses/materials on painting or drawing.
    It's not an abstract concept like others are saying; I took courses on it in high school and college. There actually are rules and definitions for what things are needed to make art look good.
    Like the balance of an image, the strength of a silhouette, or the complimenting of colors.
  • Elodin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for the responses.

Not sure if I get the problem 100% but now I have a starting point.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    watch this one, all of it...seriously, watch it :P
    http://youtu.be/UX2PzNHwabE
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    lotet wrote: »
    watch this one, all of it...seriously, watch it :P
    http://youtu.be/UX2PzNHwabE

Thanks for sharing that, interesting presentation :)