Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Graveyard Stadium

Hi all

I have just finished this freelance assignment and wanted to showcase it in here. If you want to see more of my work please visit my webpage at www.3dgeek.dk :poly136:

monster_football_1.jpg
monster_football_2.jpg

Replies

• Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    I like the artstyle. It reminds me of old games like Baldur's Gate in a modern coat of paint :)
  • mrklaes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha like that comment, what an awesome game btw.

theblackpitsheroimage.jpg
  • Phaeton1911
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phaeton1911 polycounter lvl 4
    dude that is so cool, why does gothic/halloween adapt so well to a cartoon/miniture style?
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Good work, looks like a lot of fun!:)
    Did you work from concepts or did you do everything yourself?
    I would have expected the lights and field markings to be in the graveyard theme, too.
    But maybe the field is standardized between different stadiums.
  • mrklaes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phaeton1911 - thanks.

Noren - I was giving a theme, and just went for it. What do mean mean about the lights? got any great ideas in mind :)

The field, is actually not going to be used, as they got a standard pitch they use, so i just made that one to add a feeling to the stadium and so that it would look nicer when showcasing it.
  • LSheridan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LSheridan polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome. Makes me want to play Mutant League Football.
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    mrklaes wrote: »
    What do mean mean about the lights? got any great ideas in mind :)
    Well, not necessarily great, but something like skulls with floodlights for eyes, or big olympic games like fire bowls, gargoyles with flamethrowers in their mouths. Giant grave lights, a big moon at the back and so on.
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    This is really cool. I do also agree with what Noren says about the lights, could be more spooky.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the simplest way to make the lights spookier would be to alter the color. Bright white light is rarely scary. A subtle blue tint would work, or the yellow of a gibbous moon. Cobwebs between the chains & the lights would be another (relatively) simple addition, as would breaking the odd bulb.

I don't know what the lighting requirements are like for the game, but casting everything other than the field in dark shadows would help with the graveyard feel. More subtle effects such as glowing eye in the deeper shadows, will o' wisps, and rolling fog from tunnels/crypts would work.

I don't know what the requirements are for the stands, but they feel empty now. At the very least, the odd skeleton, possibly still holding a pennant, would add some unlife. A spectral audience would be ideal, but most audience billboards only support an alpha mask rather than true transparency; it really depends on the engine & platform.

If things are going to be seen from a short distance, then you might want to add a few grunge passes to the textures. The all feel very clean at the moment. At the very least, consider darkening them a bit.