Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Pillar - looking for crits (Help Texturing)

Im fairly new to modeling especially in Mudbox and need criticism on areas i could improve on.
Pillar made using 3Ds Max and Mudbox.

X63tJgK.jpg

7GdilQr.jpg

OzIL1pF.jpg

IoFpcWi.jpg

jGjP1zM.jpg

It would be awesome if someone could give me some advice on how I could go about texturing this aswell :)

PS: you may not get a reply in the next few days as im away but i will still try and check.

Replies

• MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    I fear your uv islands may not be the same scale relative to each other, but I don't know if you did that to fit everything tightly into the uv space.

Your render is a bit dark and you have all smoothing groups turned off so it's kind of hard to see it properly.

Also, about your brick work.. If it's a pillar I dont think it would be made in that way, it simply wouldn't be possible unless the bricks were actually thin slabs pasted onto a surface if that makes sense.. Have you got references or was it this all from you own mind? I would have just had massive blocks stacked onto each other but I don't know what you're going for in terms of culture or even scale.
  • reMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick reply, now you pointed it out i see what you mean about the brick work. If you look at the wireframe you can see i had a sharp 45 degree corner but i forgot to reinforce it so that Mudbox's sub division wouldnt smooth it :)

As for the dark render I should have tuned off the light *facepalm*

Thanks for the help next time Ill make sure the UV's are the same scale too :D Cheers

Do you know anything at all about texturing? Any info would be super helpful.