Home Technical Talk

rendering in 3Ds Max 2010

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Gail_Blitzy polycounter lvl 8
So I've rendered off a .avi movie file off of 3Ds Max at 800x600.

When it was rendering it looked pretty clear and speckle-free in the preview window you get. But when i came to view the finished .AVI (using VLC, not too sure if that was a factor) the image was pretty grainy and all the colours had gone a bit unsaturated?

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction on how to get a speckle-free render?

Replies

• .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    1. Never render a Video File directly, always render single frames so in case of a crash you won´t loose all your work.
    2. The saturation issue you have can be the result of your gamma settings. The best would be to render in linear 16 or even 32 Bit as EXR sequence and convert it afterwards to a normal 8 bit Video with gamma correction applied.
    3. The blotchiness can be a result of the render settings OR your video compression. The compression could explain why your preview looked good. What renderer did you used?
  • Gail_Blitzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just the Default Scanline renderer

I've heard about rendering out as single frames - but how would you put them all together to view them as a movie?
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    I've heard about rendering out as single frames - but how would you put them all together to view them as a movie?
    You can do it in Adobe After Effects, or Fusion, Nuke. Some 3D Software even has a integrated basic compositing application. For example Blender, or Softimage.
  • Gail_Blitzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers .Wiki

I actually discovered 3Ds Max has it's own intergrated compositing application (and it's pretty easy to use).

I'm trying to figure out how to get the alpha channel to work. I've rendered out a bunch of targa files with the alpha channel on, but can't seem to get the two to talk to one another =S