Home Technical Talk

Professional studio time and work flow

Phaeton1911
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Phaeton1911 polycounter lvl 4
something that's always bugged me: when working in a studio or on any non indie title. what kind of pace are you expected to keep as an artist?

what i mean is when producing assets with a current gen work flow with normal maps and all the rest of it how long are you expected to work on a single asset?

naturally this can depend on the asset or role so lets say environment art/props.

Replies

• ghaztehschmexeh
    I'm sure someone in the industry will give a better insight, but in the meantime my assumption would be that you'd work at a similar pace to the time estimates in the freelancing section of the wiki. http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Freelance I don't think it mentions environments though.
  • Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    I'm sure it varies from studio to studio. But in my case, I'm assigned something and I'm expected to put an amount of time on it. If my art director thinks that too much time, or too short, they'll talk to me about it.

When coming up with a time frame, I'm thinking about the following:

-How long it will take me to complete the task
    -How long it will take me to export it and test it
    -When the deadline is for that asset
    -What else might come up during the process that will take time before the deadline

I'm almost never right on the money for each task, but its a rough estimate so that my managers and co-workers know when they can expect it to be done. Mostly the managers.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    [VFX] Ususaly it goes:

"How long to model x?"

"errmm... two weeks?"

"we can't afford to take two weeks can you do it in a week and a half?"

"hmmm... ok, yeah I think so."

"great, one week!"

etc. :D
  • MethodJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ polycounter lvl 4
    For me the first question is usually, how much time is there, and then I plan based on that. It really varies depending on art style, how the asset will be viewed, etc. A cartoony style that doesn't need normal maps obviously takes less time than something super detailed. Something in the distant background requires less attention than something the player is interacting with closely.

IIRC, on Stranglehold we had like 2 weeks per weapon, which included high res hard surface model, building LODs, making textures, etc. Then we reused these weapons in a ton of other games.

On MKvsDC, my team was budgeted about 4 weeks per primary character.