Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

How do my models look?

Hi guys, I have today some models I have been working on and would like some feedback on how they look and if people would find them suitable for a low poly or mobile game.

I know from some others that the geometry could be improved though I would like people to focus on the models style and quality and what I could do to improve that quality.

PS: I have only been modeling for a little while so I would class my self as Very new.

Here are some models:

[SKETCHFAB]24641a2055a947fe879ed712e75e7660[/SKETCHFAB]

[SKETCHFAB]f205292e10fe440384fe665c45866b32[/SKETCHFAB]

[SKETCHFAB]f7061a41b2714f14a9747950b878c3a3[/SKETCHFAB]

Replies

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    You´re using only Flat Colors which ends up in a total loose of Details.
    Watch the 3DMotive.com HandPainted Sword Tutorial and then Paint your Weapons again.

Gazu
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    To iterate what Gazu said, I'd also add that silhouette is important too, only one of those blades really have a decent silhouette (bottom one) but even then, it could be improved. If you're going for low poly/mobile game then shape is important, because the screen will only be small so you need to put emphasis on details and exaggerate proportions. Of course it depends on the style too.
  • besieger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys, If I was to upload the blend could some one show me how they would improve it?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    As a guy that works on mobile games professionally, I want to say just because its mobile and there is less detail seen, doesn't mean the quality or talent behind the assets have to be low.

It seems like you started this thread as a means to validate your work as its "only for mobile" anyway. Making low res textures for mobile is an art form in itself. knowing how to paint your own anti-aliasing, setting up the uvs so everything is square and you get the most out of every pixel. There is truly a lot to it, so don't think that mobile is an easy way out.

Bottom line is, you have to become a really good artist if you want to do this for a living. I'm seriously not trying to offend you, but I could honestly make any of those assets in like 5-10 min. as is. Art is a struggle, and it takes a lot of time and effort. In my opinion anything you show that would take less than an hour to make probably isn't even worth showing. If you are simply learning the software and how to make 3d stuff, that's totally cool, but you need to remember your skill as an artist is what really matters.

I think the advice to watch 3dmotive.com handpainted sword tutorial is a good one. You will see a professional at work, and all the effort and love he puts into his textures. That's what you need to do. I hope this isn't demotivating, because that is certainly not my intention. I just want you to know, if you choose mobile or next gen you will need to really bust your ass either way to get really good.
  • besieger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a guy that works on mobile games professionally, I want to say just because its mobile and there is less detail seen, doesn't mean the quality or talent behind the assets have to be low.

It seems like you started this thread as a means to validate your work as its "only for mobile" anyway. Making low res textures for mobile is an art form in itself. knowing how to paint your own anti-aliasing, setting up the uvs so everything is square and you get the most out of every pixel. There is truly a lot to it, so don't think that mobile is an easy way out.

Bottom line is, you have to become a really good artist if you want to do this for a living. I'm seriously not trying to offend you, but I could honestly make any of those assets in like 5-10 min. as is. Art is a struggle, and it takes a lot of time and effort. In my opinion anything you show that would take less than an hour to make probably isn't even worth showing. If you are simply learning the software and how to make 3d stuff, that's totally cool, but you need to remember your skill as an artist is what really matters.

I think the advice to watch 3dmotive.com handpainted sword tutorial is a good one. You will see a professional at work, and all the effort and love he puts into his textures. That's what you need to do. I hope this isn't demotivating, because that is certainly not my intention. I just want you to know, if you choose mobile or next gen you will need to really bust your ass either way to get really good.

Firstly its nice to see some one of your caliber comment on my thread you work really is very good!, Though I think you miss read my first post, you suggest that I think mobile = less detail witch is quite wrong.

As I said at the bottom of my post though I am very new to this literally a few weeks at most if I counted all the time I put into this.

Your comment on the time it would take you to make one of my models is quite helpful since after making them I attempted to create them again witch only took me half the amount of time witch I guess shows that I am learning...

while I find you advice good I think you forgot that I am very new to modeling and texturing and mobile is just something I would like to get into is all.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tricks used in this video in terms of texture is really good. You should check it out.
    Ignore the software used, instead, pay attention to how the artist faked cracks and irregularities into other wise straight corners with no details at all.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrApuPOayoU"]Hand-painted textures in Blender - YouTube[/ame]
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    What BradMyers was referring to was the fact that your poll indicated that you already had prior knowledge that the assets lacked a finished quality (and implied that it was ok for mobile) because one of the options reads "Yes, they are absolutely fine for a mobile game!".

To your models, I generally like to see them in image format, the first one isn't even loading for me. The modeling is good for what it is, the asset quality mainly comes down to whether or not you can paint well.

If lowpoly is your focus, then you'll need to essentially become a very good painter.

Buckle down because it's going to be a long journey. It's something that to this day shocks me, how much work it really takes to get to a certain professional quality level.
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Two things I think you could improve on -

Silhouette

It looks like you're paying attention to the silhouette of only the side view of these weapons. If you turn the weapons to the top view all you see are a straight line. It would be beneficially to these weapons to play with the silhouette from all views.

Flow

I would definitely add more geo, and that in turn will give you extra room to transition your shapes from one to another. Try to think of where the focal point of your weapon is, and base your shapes to help support that.

For example, the desert long sword has a box for a transition near the handle. Try to think of a more interesting shape to bring the handle and the blade together as one.

Hope this helps!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    All you need to do is look at a well done mobile game and say did I did it as well? Even if you are aiming for a specific simplified style, generally before one goes about that they are able to do it well in the traditional hand-painted style and understand the fundamentals as well.
  • besieger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad wrote: »
    What BradMyers was referring to was the fact that your poll indicated that you already had prior knowledge that the assets lacked a finished quality (and implied that it was ok for mobile) because one of the options reads "Yes, they are absolutely fine for a mobile game!".

To your models, I generally like to see them in image format, the first one isn't even loading for me. The modeling is good for what it is, the asset quality mainly comes down to whether or not you can paint well.

If lowpoly is your focus, then you'll need to essentially become a very good painter.

Buckle down because it's going to be a long journey. It's something that to this day shocks me, how much work it really takes to get to a certain professional quality level.

Ok your first point about my model "lacking" is both wrong and correct as I was going for a simple style witch only used vertex colors as a base witch is used in some game that I have came across on the "Play Store" ONLY, so it was natural that I thought that they could possibility be considered "Fine".

You are correct though that I do feel as though there must be more to making models than vertex color and done for the simplified style I was going for and was looking for both advice and to see what people thought of my models in there current state.

Your advice on becoming a good painter vs high poly modeler was a very much welcomed piece of advice as I find the actual modeling to be very difficult.

You also note that its going to be a long journey ahead witch is quite strange as they way you put it as others do seem to give off a negative vibe so to speak, is there a discontent with the way you find the 3D modeling/Texturing industry to be?
    Two things I think you could improve on -

Silhouette

It looks like you're paying attention to the silhouette of only the side view of these weapons. If you turn the weapons to the top view all you see are a straight line. It would be beneficially to these weapons to play with the silhouette from all views.

Flow

I would definitely add more geo, and that in turn will give you extra room to transition your shapes from one to another. Try to think of where the focal point of your weapon is, and base your shapes to help support that.

For example, the desert long sword has a box for a transition near the handle. Try to think of a more interesting shape to bring the handle and the blade together as one.

Hope this helps!

turpedo, thanks for you advice though I didn't understand what you meant by "Add more geo"?
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope what I said previously didn't sound negative, if it did I apologize.

I didn't mean to give a negative vibe when I stated that it's going to be a long journey. This goes back to what Brad said, "Art is a struggle, and it takes a lot of time and effort".

It really just boils down to this, watch how the pros do it and do your best to implement what you learn from them into your own projects while sharing those updates on Polycount for feedback.
  • besieger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope what I said previously didn't sound negative, if it did I apologize.

I didn't mean to give a negative vibe when I stated that it's going to be a long journey. This goes back to what Brad said, "Art is a struggle, and it takes a lot of time and effort".

It really just boils down to this, watch how the pros do it and do your best to implement what you learn from them into your own projects while sharing those updates on Polycount for feedback.

Well I am a self taut programmer and am very good indeed, your suggestion of taking what a pro does and implementing it in my own way is how I have been teaching self so its good to hear I am on the right lines.

I will be sharing as much as I can with the forum to get some feedback and have had a very good time here already.
  • harry1511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harry1511 polycounter lvl 5
    Taking a look at your assets,I think you can reduce the polycount even more to make it cleaner. Additionally, there are some verts that don't contribute anything to the silhouette. A good advice from my mentor is "every vert should tell a story"--literally means you only should put the vert wherever it's needed.

As for the texture, as everyone else said: it's simply flat. For low-res mobile asset, it depends a lot on texture map to make it look good. What you want to do is paint in light and shadow, directly on your texture map. Your texture map should have a sense of light direction without any light turned on when you render. One good trick is bake out the light map and use it as a base to paint texture map.
  • harry1511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking a look at your assets,I think you can reduce the polycount even more to make it cleaner. Additionally, there are some verts that don't contribute anything to the silhouette. A good advice from my mentor is "every vert should tell a story"--literally means you only should put the vert wherever it's needed.

As for the texture, as everyone else said: it's simply flat. For low-res mobile asset, it depends a lot on texture map to make it look good. What you want to do is paint in light and shadow, directly on your texture map. Your texture map should have a sense of light direction without any light turned on when you render. One good trick is bake out the light map and use it as a base to paint texture map.
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    No problem! I meant to add more geometry(use more polys!) so that you have more room to play with your shapes and flow.
  • nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nevermind polycounter lvl 10
    These need alot of work... What you have is fine for a blockout of major colors, but you're lacking shape, form, and lighting... Pretty much the essentials in handpainting. For metal, start with a dark color of your metal and drop that down as a base, add some general AO and lighting, then start worrying about the smaller details. For mobile, you can probably use a 128 or 256 map on weapons and get PLENTY of detail...

Here is an example of something I did for a quiz at school... This texture was done in 30 minutes to show we had an understanding of blocking out forms and working from big to small -
    I am no where near an experienced master of this craft, but putting in bigger forms and blocking out shapes reads much better than flat colors... especially from a distance.
    c4HmRWJ.png
  • besieger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, since everyone is telling me that I should learn to paint better could some one paint this UV how they would envision it supposed to be.

http://imgur.com/G2Y4fGE,HlGrFRM

Below is what I currently have.

http://imgur.com/G2Y4fGE,HlGrFRM#1
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your goal is to improve as an artist, then you should do the initial painting so we can atleast give advice on where you should direct your focus on improving.

Generally people are much more willing to help with a paint-over if they see initial attempts.
  • besieger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your goal is to improve as an artist, then you should do the initial painting so we can atleast give advice on where you should direct your focus on improving.

Generally people are much more willing to help with a paint-over if they see initial attempts.

Haha I was just opening blender when you commented!, I think you missed my link in my last post witch shows what I currently have for a texture.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    besieger1 wrote: »
    Hi guys, since everyone is telling me that I should learn to paint better could some one paint this UV how they would envision it supposed to be.

http://imgur.com/G2Y4fGE,HlGrFRM

Below is what I currently have.

http://imgur.com/G2Y4fGE,HlGrFRM#1

well nevermind just posted a great picture on what you could try to ad. I dont think linking your UVs and telling ppl to paint them for you is the right aproach. look at references and tr to do it yourself first. also the tutorial linked by DireWolf pretty much sums up what you should do. so i suggest do some painting and come back later :)
  • Shadowskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadowskin polycounter lvl 9
    In my opinion you had a good start, but now is the time you find references. Like MattyWS said, silhouette is very important. Second, you should use some gradient colors.
    The third thing, you need to find inspiration. Here is a good example -> http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110624185421/finalfantasy/images/1/16/FFXI_Mythic_Weapons.png

Note that each weapon follows one rule -> color scheme. Here is a good tool for creating your own color scheme -> https://kuler.adobe.com/create/color-wheel/

And here is a bonus for a better unsdestanding about that - > http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/articles/picking-a-color-palette-for-your-games-artwork--gamedev-1174

By the way, does anybody know another tools like blender for realtime texture painting?

Hope i have helped you! Good work!
  • besieger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys!

I made a repaint of the blade of the weapon, thanks to Shadowskin for your advice on using a gradient it really worked well. Color palette I would of never thought of and great site you linked.

Anyway here is the repaint, Let me know what you think.

[SKETCHFAB]cd3f9347072e4f7dac1fd2524d5fdf16[/SKETCHFAB]
  • harry1511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You color is still flat, unfortunately. This is what I meant earlier about painting in the light and shadow. The image is from deviant Art. Notice how the tip of the sword is brighter and give you the sense of light shining on it? THAT, is what you want to PAINT into your texture map. Study the texture map on this one to see how the light and shadow were consistently painted to give the sense of form without any 3D light.

sword_by_firstkeeper-d4gdole.jpg
  • Shadowskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi besieger1,

I think you're on the right way, just need to imagine that weapon in a real world, i mean, which materials the blade will have? Just steel? Will the blade have some ornamental craft?

I did a little adjustment on your blade. Just take care with exaggeration on blade details. The blade may look like rock!

Hope to help you!

HAve a nice weekend!
  • besieger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadowskin wrote: »
    Hi besieger1,

I think you're on the right way, just need to imagine that weapon in a real world, i mean, which materials the blade will have? Just steel? Will the blade have some ornamental craft?

I did a little adjustment on your blade. Just take care with exaggeration on blade details. The blade may look like rock!

Hope to help you!

HAve a nice weekend!

Ahh now I get what you mean, thanks for the paint over. so this is what everyone means by painting the silhouette?

I will have a try at replicating what you have. :D
  • Shadowskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, silhouette is just the shape of an object, person or anything,

Here is some good examples of what is the meaning of silhouette:

spbtlJe.jpg

mario_silhouette_by_ba_ru_ga-d7gbo5k.png

3447091-xs.jpg

Well, i think you got the idea now!:)

Have a nice day!