Home Technical Talk

Zbrush insert mesh stitching problem

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,

I've been trying to make stitchings in zbrush using custom insert mesh curve brushes, but I often have this problem that is so annoying. It mostly happens when I try to bend parts of the curve to position it better:
6dRgkRb.png
FcKZsA7.png
0tZglLN.png

UyyJFSS.png

On simple surfaces it's alright, but if a surface bends or anything, it causes stitches to lose the depth inset and\or rotate like that. Is there any way to fix this?

Replies

• Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    I don't have a solution to your particular problem, but is there a reason you are adding these details as geometry? It seems to me it would be less hassle to add them as texture detail.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel wrote: »
    I don't have a solution to your particular problem, but is there a reason you are adding these details as geometry? It seems to me it would be less hassle to add them as texture detail.
    There's a bunch of pros to this method, if it works right: it's not destructive, so you can always redo stitches if you want. Baked geometry always looks better than generated normals. You can give stitches separate vertex color to use as masks in photoshop to change colors or texture.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Agreed, but given the size of the stitches, is the quality difference between baked vs. texture normals going to be that noticeable in this case? You can also do this non destructively in photoshop with layer masks.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel wrote: »
    Agreed, but given the size of the stitches, is the quality difference between baked vs. texture normals going to be that noticeable in this case? You can also do this non destructively in photoshop with layer masks.
    Dunno really, maybe it won't be really noticeable after all, but there is a difference if your map resolution is big enough.
  • remcv8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    remcv8 polycounter lvl 8
    Instead of moving the curve switch to the move brush and nudge them to the depth and shape that you want. Be sure to click/tap on the mesh before to eliminate the curve. Curves can easily get out of control.