Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New 3D Modeler looking for criticism

I started modelling in 3DS Max and I need alot of criticism. Please Nitpick :D
(Been following a Digital Tutors course incase anyone wants to know)

Sorry if the colours make it hard to see.

- Thanks

Replies

• Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon polycounter lvl 7
    There appears to be some messed up topology on the sword guard, could you post some closer picture of the guard with wires? Tip: Upload images on some hosting site (imgur is best) and post it like this [*img]url[*/img] without *

Edit: also you modeled the basic shape of the axe and then you used turbosmooth aka Sub-D workflow right?
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    Well there is a lack of knowledge about how topology works but that comes with time, as for the objects themselves, I think you should either 1: go stylized or 2: go 100% realistic, putting it in between just ends up looking muddy and disorganized. A little exercise I do is when I'm making a weapon, imagine all the processes the blacksmith would go through to create that weapon, (seriously helps that my brother is an actual blacksmith, but you can pull videos off the internet for info) is what your modeling logical for the era, specifically I see this being a problem with the dagger, I simply cannot imagine someone hammering out that hand guard, mold it, yes its possible, but usually medieval/fantasy people would not mold a hand guard as this makes it more weak.

For the axe I've pulled a little of google images to get you a little more in the mood for axes, basically you can go two ways, have the handle follow the curve of the wood (seems like thats what you did) or have it straight, I speak from experience that having the handle curve with the wood only works well in smaller axes/hatchets. (I chop down trees every day for firewood/clearing land.)
    20011.jpg
    axeA03.jpgddee8b5f-213e-41bd-b806-07f1501d35c1Large.jpg

For the design its self, take a look at skyrims ancient nord battle-axe, its not exactly realistic but I can at least see how it would be forged.

Ancient_Nord_Battle_Axe_of_Cold.png?version=d6fc957266cb74921c03ab2a84e10d6b

For the dagger you can go decorative or functional, it seems you want to go decorative so that's fine. But there's a fine line between decorative and ridiculous.

Don't do this:
    sw576s.jpg

In medieval times this would have been if not impossible to make, incredibly time expensive and just generally a waste of workmanship. Take a look at some plausible decorative knife designs.

poignard-mdival-21957385.jpg?t=1398725710
    h2_26.145.94.jpg
    mlpahYsbFa0FS__TAmFpfjA.jpg

Not the best pictures admittedly, but it was short notice. In any case, basically skill you will obtain through practice and diligence, the design of the weapons is something else entirely. I would highly suggest you pull concept art off the internet and 3d model some of them for practice, its completely ok as long as you credit the concept art, and don't claim it.

Here's some I pulled in a quick 10-20 minute google run.

For some axes stylized you have Darksiders concept art:

darksiders2_weapon_battleaxe2_by_paul_richards.jpg?itok=zs2x3XhS

For a bit more realistic sheet of just a bunch of weapons you got some concept art from Morrowind (My God I love that game so much.)
    Morrowind_Iron_Weapons_by_DawidFrederik.jpg

And for a little more bombastic style 3d Chae made some concepts on polycount back in 2013, here's the link to his post.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1812372&postcount=3

Anyways, I hope this helped, I'm no expert, and I probably just killed some peoples computers, but hopefully this has given you a little inspiration.
  • reMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Exk8dy.jpg

kC2XNyy.jpg

9PuIzvV.jpg

Does this help?

Thanks for the image tips :D
  • reMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice its given me a much better understanding i know it will help me out alot :)<3 Morrowind

- Thanks

EDIT: oops! forgot to thank for the amount of detail to your reply :P
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see, did you used Turbosmooth or just verts pulling? If its after turbosmooth I am not sure what might be the cause, but if its just verts pulling I would suggest putting it in smoothing groups. (if the angle is more than 90° it should have a different smoothing group.
  • reMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going to turbosmooth but it deformed the shape too much, I'll fiddle with smoothing groups, thanks for the advice :D
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have problems with turbosmooth I would reccomend watching this video, it's a little repetitive, but you will understand it pretty well I think. Or check the oldwiki for some sub-D tutorials and tips. http://oldwiki.polycount.com/SubdivisionSurfaceModeling?action=show&redirect=Subdivision+Surface+Modeling

EDIT: forgot to post link to video: http://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/quick-tip-understanding-support-edge-placement--cg-7491