Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sat_27 Patrol robot =]

Guilherme_rambelli
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Guilherme_rambelli polycounter lvl 5
Hello Guys, I just wanted to share my last piece that I did in maya and keyshot, I intend to post more wips here in the next couple weeks since the process is very straight forward and it takes 2-4 days to finish something like that with some techniques that I learned with some very talented people from most of the gnomon workshops taht I've been =D

cheers guys =]

http://www.artstation.com/artwork/sat_27-bot-patrol

UNFQgGS.jpg

http://www.artstation.com/artwork/sat_27-bot-patrol

Replies

• Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    The model looks solid, but honestly it's really hard to tell because the model blends in with the background so much. The camouflage pattern is very similar to the snowy trees, so I'm having trouble figuring out where to look. IMO it'd be awesome to see a new render with a less busy background!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I agree. Maybe the robot could be in a snowy plain so the camo/model pops? You could have one or two scattered trees in the background too.

Something like this? It's angled the wrong direction since in your image there is a slight hill away from he viewer but anyways.

Lone-Winter-Pine-111212-132.jpg

Edit, or maybe this since it's still dense forest, but the trees are mostly covered in snow instead of bare.
    3205.jpg
  • Guilherme_rambelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking to the render right now I think you're right, I will give it a shot than I post it today =]
  • Guilherme_rambelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    by the way I found this in case anyone need some HDRIs =]

http://hdrmaps.com/freebies?p=3
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Your camo is so good we can't see the model. The military would be proud, but the art community wouldn't :D

(Reminds me of reading the half-life 2 concept art book where they talk about the half-life 1 hgrunt's camo pattern, and how they had to figure out to make it so it looks like functional camo without actually being functional at all and actually increasing the ability for the player to see them, aka video game camo is usually made to be useless without looking useless XD)

That said, I find the model pretty cool ;)
  • Guilherme_rambelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't very happy with the HDRI's that I found with snow and all of that so I decided to just render a AO passe to show the details =] thanks for the help guys!

guilherme-rambelli-sat-27-ao.jpg?1407725517

Cheers!

http://www.artstation.com/artwork/sat_27-bot-patrol-6b6543e8-4bc3-4581-84cd-0cad1e2a7e85
  • Guilherme_rambelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick wrote: »
    Your camo is so good we can't see the model. The military would be proud, but the art community wouldn't :D

(Reminds me of reading the half-life 2 concept art book where they talk about the half-life 1 hgrunt's camo pattern, and how they had to figure out to make it so it looks like functional camo without actually being functional at all and actually increasing the ability for the player to see them, aka video game camo is usually made to be useless without looking useless XD)

That said, I find the model pretty cool ;)

haha I love your comment hahaha
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Awwwww man no way!!!

You gotta re-comp that scene with a new image!

Here's kinda how I view it.

You did all of this work to get this dope-ass model textured and everything. You tried to comp it once and it is good but doesn't showcase your model as good as it could be. If you spend 1 entire week working on the comping, you will be able to show the result to people and they'll be like "HOLY SHIT, THAT'S AWESOME".

The AO feels like a cop-out.
  • Guilherme_rambelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Awwwww man no way!!!

You gotta re-comp that scene with a new image!

Here's kinda how I view it.

You did all of this work to get this dope-ass model textured and everything. You tried to comp it once and it is good but doesn't showcase your model as good as it could be. If you spend 1 entire week working on the comping, you will be able to show the result to people and they'll be like "HOLY SHIT, THAT'S AWESOME".

The AO feels like a cop-out.

haha that is true I didn't spend time enought comping the scene, I will ask at work for some hdri's from snow environments and spend a couple days just trying and getting a better comp than I will post here than =]
    do you know where I could get some nices tips for comp stuff? I will post ehre right when I start a new comp than