Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abandoned Arctic Library

dylantc
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
dylantc polycounter lvl 6
Hi everybody, I'm new here. I'm working on a scene based on an abandoned Russian mining town called Pyramiden. The room that I'm working on is referencing the library from this town. Here's what I have at the moment:

R5QY2uX.jpg

5930SXq.jpg

orN7UwZ.jpg

And here's some of the reference images that I'm following:

vorgvUC.jpg

I'll keep posting new updates as I continue working on the environment. I'd really appreciate any feedback that I could get!

Replies

• Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    This looks really awesome! I'm new to modeling, so take my advice with a grain of salt -- but, I feel like it looks a little weird under the blue chairs, like there's not enough of a shadow. They look a little floaty, especially when compared to the chairs in your reference. I think you could also push the fabric texture on the chairs a bit more; it looks a little plasticky now.
  • fakado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fakado polycounter lvl 4
    Amazing work, looking forward to future updates!
    In the second image near the bottom right at the window there is some sort of a line floating.
    Interested to see what you're going to for the background behind the windows in the second image.

Edit: also I agree with Carabiner, the chairs do feel a little off.
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
  • dylantc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everybody! Here's a few new images of the environment.

wgVokWQ.jpg?1

LCZMgom.jpg?1

1bmiN1D.jpg?1

78xS7sL.jpg?1
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 12
    As suggested about the chairs, you are missing shadow/depth (Occlusion). Try turning on ambient occlusion in your renderer.
  • dylantc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried adjusting some of the occlusion settings and increasing the lighting build quality. Does it seem like the chairs are getting better occlusion now?

VPTNzDZ.jpg?1
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Great piece there mate, it's not much but it shows how well you can take a modest/humble reference and digitize it. This is an ability that i miss sometimes. You don't always need over complicated refs to work on.
  • John Baxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Baxter polycounter lvl 7
    Beautifully serene! Getting Last of Us vibes, but with some wonderful originality!
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    It's looking good, but I find the main screenshot you are using could use a bit more of a focal point.

The lighting is nice, but as of right now I find myself just reading from mid left to back right (basically just outside the windows) and completely ignoring all of the prop and environment work. Understandably the outside isn't anywhere near as detailed/interesting as the inside due to it not being the main focus of the environment, but it currently is due to it being the brightest spot in the room with the environment basically covered in shadow.

(the human eye is naturally drawn to the most saturated or most bright values in images)

I'd recommend either giving the outside a few more passes of detail, adding in maybe one or two additional light sources on your props in the inside, or placing a bunch of boards over the windows with the light leaking out in certain places. (which could work to your abandoned vibe).

I think you could probably get away with keeping the large windows if you want to, but it would be nice to add maybe an old battery powered lantern/candle/floodlight generator/something to light up some of the props and furniture in the main open hall so we're drawn into the image as a whole, not just straight to the outside.

For example, adding a little candle light next to the portrait on the wall could further emphasize that as a story element, and the viewer would probably draw their own questions as to who it is/why the candle was placed there/etc. giving the environment more character as a whole.

Whatever is lit will become the main focus of the viewer.

The other parts/images are working a lot better in regards to value and composition.