Home General Discussion

How do you get into the Polycount Recap?

huynhke
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
huynhke polycounter lvl 6
Hey, just wondering how work gets chosen to get put into the recap? Everything looks amazing in all of them.

Replies

• LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    huynhke wrote: »
    Everything looks amazing in all of them.

I think you answered your own question
  • huynhke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, but I mean, where are they finding these people's amazing work. In the forums? Somewhere?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    The 3D WAYWO thread is the most common thread they pull from, but they do check all forums. They usually pull ~20 images, typically the best work over the past few weeks.

They also feature key threads that have tons of great information for people to learn from or if it is an art dump for a recently released game.
  • huynhke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 3D WAYWO thread is the most common thread they pull from, but they do check all forums. They usually pull ~20 images, typically the best work over the past few weeks.

They also feature key threads that have tons of great information for people to learn from or if it is an art dump for a recently released game.

I see I see, thanks for the great answer! :)
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Of course if your work is not good enough yet you could just kidnap all of the people who are better than you for a few weeks. Then you have to win right?
  • huynhke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never thought of that, but I could see how it could work :)
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Send $200 to adam.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I've noticed too that they like to pull work that's got a well developed thread going. Someone who just posts one finished, awesome piece in WAYWO is likely to be overlooked compared to someone who's been posting progress shots and getting crits along the way.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    From what I understand, everyone can just suggest work to the Polycount staff. So generally I guess people suggest things that look awesome and inspires them. So make art that does this and people are likely to notice you, weather it is posted in WAYWO thread or not. Also don't suggest your own work which is lame.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    Send $200 to adam.

...or offer good sucky-sucky
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Or send adam nudes. Or just references for some NASA-shit, that'll work too. Yeah, probably go with the nasa stuff.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    so this is how you make it all the time, slut!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We are in the process of putting together an art book composed of Snefer's bribery nudes that will be released to the community.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Aren't you supposed to make sure that you're releasing things that the community wants?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    We are in the process of putting together an art book composed of Snefer's bribery nudes that will be released to the community.

Can I back this on Kickstarter?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    iconoplast wrote: »
    Aren't you supposed to make sure that you're releasing things that the community wants?

I want nudes.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Send all nudes directly to me.

Full disclosure: I am a ham sandwich.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    1 - I'll take all the money and sucky-sucky you can throw at me
    but that still won't get you in to the recap. What does? Great artwork.

But Adam, I made this thing I and think its awesome! You know what? It probably is. The problem - which is our problem and no one elses - is we curate the content 'by hand'. Meaning things are going to, and most definitely will, get missed. I've said 'we' here but all of the effort on the recap's comes from Sean. They're time consuming and if anyone deserves your cash or to have his dinky kissed, its him.
    Please don't send him cash or propositions for servicing.

The good news is that with the new site - which I swear (!!!)j is coming out very soon - finding and remembering top content to share with everyone will be a lot easier.
    But seriously, we're in the final phase of the new site now. So.. soon soon.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    New site? Pics or it did not happen :D
  • jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    new site. soon!!
    galv5Il.gif
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    adam wrote: »
    Please don't send him cash or propositions for servicing.

Can I still send him nudes?

I mean, I'm gonna anyway, but I'd rather do it with your blessing.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    I've been sending nudes since Snefer tipped me off as to how to make it to recap every time. Trust me, it doesn't work for everyone, there must be some secret I'm missing and Snefer wouldn't reveal it.

Do i have to be doing something other than just standing there? Provacative poses? Throwing kawaii super cute peace signs? What is the secret?!?!
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    also, it's arranged alphabetically, so if you wanna be at the top, better go create a new account!
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    For the new site, will we have to re-register again?
    or will all our old posts, contacts, PMs, and content be transferred over?
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I think the whole deal with the recaps is a bit tricky. First of all it takes time and effort to collect all this material and since it's usually just one guy doing it, there will be a lot of cool pieces that will be left out. From what I understand the reasons for your piece not being picked could be for various reasons such as;

1. It's not unique and also not as good as the rest: You've made something that's been done before like a some gun, a soldier or whatever which actually could be fine but the problem is that it looks very mediocre compared to other similar pieces.

2. It doesn't fit peoples' taste: This is a very tricky thing here indeed, execution may be essential but the concept is even more important! If your concept is unique, make sure it is something that people will like!

3. People didn't see it :(: There were a bunch of other super large images and yours got posted in-between them. Again, it takes energy and time to look through all these pages of art and perhaps the admins don't have time to look through them several times.

4. I'm just guessing here but PC might not want to put up inappropriate things? I'm not sure where PC draws the line here but perhaps a piece could be "too much" and therefore not get picked?

5. Sean hates you

Don't worry too much about the recap and just try to make awesome art that you think people will like. I personally see the recap as a bonus but if I don't make it I don't worry about it too much. Some things take time, man ;)

Good luck!
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Saman wrote: »

5. Sean hates you
    Damn, you might not want that.
  • tsabszy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tsabszy greentooth
    I didn't even know there is such a thing like the WAYWO thread when I came to pc forums. But even when I realized how it works it took me a some tries to get in.
    I analized the Recaps before and realized that it's not that misterious thing, how to get in.

Basically you just need to do something that pops out of the rest of the works.

I think Saman described it very well how to get in, though I think sometimes it can be harder and sometimes it's kinda easier to get in, since if in there's a bunch of very high quality works, than it raises the bar and it might lower your chances of getting in.

I think in most cases key principles are (not necessarily in order of importance)

- mood (lighting, colors, presentation, pose, dynamics, great study feel)
    - storytelling (characteristics, clarity, understandable for everyone)
    - originality (something new or giving a twist to something that has been portrayed a hundred times before)
    - quality (speaks for itself, but it's always compared to the quality of the others' works, also style, design etc.)
    - technical virtuosity (great using of brushes, hard surface modelling, sculpting, any kind of modelling, hand painting, shader, animation, rigging, particles, whatever.. plus everyone loves to learn from others, so if you have something that is a "who would have think this could be done so simple" kind of technical feat, or a simple brilliant trick that leads to great spectacular result quickly)
    - boobies (basically in game dev industry there's a lot of guys, meaning if you can do a girly charater really well, than you have high chances of getting in :) )
    - crazy amount of work (sometimes an extremely complex project can lead to be included in a Recap as well, just because of it's sheer amount of work you've put in it)
    - simlicity (sometimes works got in coz they are so shamelessly simple, that it's kinda funny)
    - humour (humorous ideas can work too, if it made the day of the polycounters, than it might also have a chance)

So don't forget! You don't need all of these principles to get right, but if any of these points is right and stands out of the rest, than you've got a chance. If however you'r work stands out in regard of more of these key points, than you've got a higher chance :)
  • Decci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my first post ever is featured in PC-Recap, now mostly of them are not, I think first post is much appreciated :D