Home General Discussion

CUDA, Opencl, or AMD? (GPU Question)

Greg DAlessandro
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
I'm buying a $2000computer and plan on using Unreal Engine 4, Zbrush, Maya, 3dsMax Photoshop and other programs. My question is:

CUDA,OpenCL, or AMD graphics card?

These are the parts I am using (except the GPU - I'm trying to figure out which to buy)

http://www.amazon.com/lm/R1CZYBH8BISQC9/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&lm_bb=&tag=topgc13-20

Thank you.

Replies

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    CUDA, but for what ? Most rendering is CPU intensive unless you are specifically rending with CUDA
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is CUDA just for rendering?
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My advice: Stay clear of everything AMD to be on the safe side.

Regarding GPU I personally favor Vram over speed because of Mudbox (sometimes I need it and it's damn convenient) If you're sure you won't need it or any other gpu-centric app then whatever Nvidia 2GB card from the 7xx series should do I guess.

I'd also go with 32gb of RAM in a single kit but it's up to you.

The rest of the components is fine except the GPU cooler. You want an extra fan if you're going with this design but it depends on where you live and how hot those components will be running at.

When i assemble a computer I scour forums and retailer sites (newegg, etc) for reviews and opinions from users. You want to read the 2 and 3 stars ratings, the rest is fanboyism most of the time or idiotic hatred. It is a tedious process but it pays off in the end. Also download the Motherboard pdf from Asus and check if the ram you chose belongs to the QVL (Qualified Vendor List). If it doesn't, google the designated mobo and the ram you chose and see if some users in some forums are reporting lock ups or particular issues but more importantly if someone can confirm the combination works. Remember that Amazon sells parts, they don't guarantee compatibility so it's up to you to do your homework first because if you run into such issues you will have to go through refund processes if it's possible at all.

The general idea is: It's better to prepare and research for a 2K purchase than realize that half the stuff you bought wasn't meant to perform together. 2K is too much money to go in blind if you see what I mean.

If you need me to elaborate on something specific I'd be happy to help if I can.

PD: Forgot that some memory manufacturers have a compatibility checking page now. You input the ram and mobo model and it checks everything for you. Make sure you input the exact kit.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the response, I do plan on buying 2 of those fans.

I plan on buying a GTX 780 ti, however I found out there are several different variations of the "same" GPU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50001402&IsNodeId=1&Description=gtx%20780%20ti&name=EVGA&Order=BESTMATCH

http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+700+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+780+Ti
    Deciding on the "ACX" vs the "Reference" cooler will depend on your case/chassis. The reference cooler will direct hot air from the gpu out the "back-side" of the case (open pci slot) where-as the ACX cooler will force the hot air out of the back and sides of the gpu thus increasing overall ambient temps within the case. Using the ACX cooler is not an issue with "large" cases with plenty of "negative" pressure, it will become an issue in smaller/more confined cases or in with poor wire management. The ACX cooler WILL outperform the reference cooler as far as cooling the gpu but can cause higher temps between other components. See THIS THREAD HERE, for more information on how to properly distribute air with that type of cooler.
    I would buy one of the $669 ones on Newegg.But apparently the heat gets directed differently in the ACX and "reference cooler" So I'm trying to figure out which model to get with the CM Storm Stryker case.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Cuda is good for xnormals rendering
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Reference cooler are better if you are going with a small case, or a case with 2 or less case fans. Non-reference coolers are better at keeping the card cool, but exhaust a lot of air back into the case, which is fine if you have plenty of fans in your case. I'd just go with non-reference with your case.

AMD cards do seem to have a bit more issues with viewports in 3d applications, strange bugs and artifacts sometimes happen, but not common with either AMD/Nvidia.

My advise on CUDA vs OpenCL, don't worry about it too much unless the applications you are currently use it support and take advantage of those features.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm also not quite sure why the setup has both an internal ssd and hdd.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with the advice to stick with Nvidia. Less issues with 3D apps in my experience.

For myself, I use CUDA for GPU accelerated DDS compression using Nvidia Texture Tools 2 and this nifty little Photoshop front-end for it: http://docs.kaneva.com/mediawiki/index.php/Photoshop_DDS_Exporter

I have it bound to a hotkey, using CUDA it will spit out DDS textures in a blink of an eye. Much, much faster than using the regular Nvidia photoshop plugin.
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recommend looking up noise output for the CPU fan you selected, see what users are saying about it, again, 2 or 3 stars and look for complains or a problem that comes up a lot (i.e installation, noise, vibration, efficience, etc). I have on my old comp a Noctua dual fan system and it came with some anti-vibration gum strips. Very quiet at full power. But well, you gonna have some fans here and there so it might not mean so much in the end.

As ZacD said, don't sweat the CUDA thing too much, the GPU you want is CUDA-capable. Not all apps make use of it but it's nice plus when you need it for video encoding or other 3D stuff (3DCoat for one).

Oh, final piece of advice: Did you check the Power Supply you selected will be enough for the components you picked? It should be but now is the time to be sure, not after you shelled out the cash. I'd find out how much will CPU+GPU+Fans and Mobo will draw at their peak and go from there. Seasonic has a good reputation but reading a review on each component is important. HardwareCanucks.com and other sites can shed some insight and they open the box and take tons of pictures!

Good luck! You're just a few steps away from opening plenty of computer parts boxes and releasing that amazing smell of "brand-new" everywhere around you! How exciting! :D
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the replies. I just made sure and all of the listed parts work on the mobo (from pcpartpicker.com)

Do you know what benefit/use you would have for using both an internal ssd and hdd?
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSD is faster, uses flash-like memory, access read and write are much lower, it's a no contest kind of difference for most cases. Since you're using PS, UE4 and ZB file sizes won't be gigantic. So you use the SSD to boot up the comp and install your programs and the HDD to store your 3d models and whatnot. So if your SSD blows to hell all your files are SAFE in the other drive.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Would you only install programs/software onto the SSD and project files onto the HDD?
    (would Booting the pc be the only other function for the SSD in this case?)
    - If the SSD is just for booting the PC and installing software, is 480gb overkill?

I'm just trying to figure out if I should invest into a 480gb, or just stick with the 240gb SSD.) I would also have the 1Tb internal hdd.
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I would do that if I had a 240gb SSD and 1TB Drive. The 240gb one will help you boot and run programs very fast. Saving will take a bit more time on the 1TB drive but you won't notice that much of a gap most of the time unless you save huge files.

I use a 480gb ssd for my boot drive. It's not overkill if you can afford it but it depends on what kind of user you are. I install all my programs on said drive and NEVER save my work on it. If that drive dies my work is safe.

I use 2 Chronos Deluxe from Mushkin, 1 is 480, the other is 240gb also SSD and it's where I save all my work. I also run backups on a 3TB HDD.

Crucial is a very good brand according to what I have read anyways, never owned myself.

Just in case, stick to internal drives, dont complicate yourself too much with external stuff. It's not worth the hassle in your case.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I vote for 32GB of ram and a 780GTX (non-TI).

When working with a lot of high res textures and Maya, Unreal Engine, etc open you'll be surprised how quickly you can eat up 16GB.

Nothing is worse than running out of ram and having to constantly manage what applications you have open. (well there are worse things but I'm just being dramatic)..
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'd rather get the 32gb ram than 480gb ssd. I'm not sure which 32gb ram to get though.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Now I know people are not recommending AMD GPU's for workstations. However is this the same for AMD CPU's?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Cs8qP6

This is a budget rig that I maybe am about to build and I need to know if this is viable or not with a AMD CPU or do I need to go for an Intel one.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    For relying on a budget rig mostly for games, a AMD CPU is a great option. But for actually making art, I'd really suggest going for a more powerful CPU. And in the long run Intel CPUs will save you money in wattage/electricity bill.
  • Greg DAlessandro
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

That cpu is fine. The comment about the budget rig wasn't aimed at you but at Robeomega's setup whom wants to go with AMD (which I don't recommend).