Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Student] Independent Study

CG3D
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
CG3D polycounter lvl 2
Hey Polycount folks,
I have until the end of August to work on an independent study project, and I'll be working around 6-8 hours a day on it. The project will be done in Maya and rendered with Mental Ray, in preparation for my Senior Animation Project coming up this year. I know this community is heavily game focused, but I would be ever grateful for any input / feedback as my work progresses. I am using this project to improve on my modelling; texturing; and lighting skill sets.
The project entails modelling a single environment, then rendering it in 6 different 'styles' through the use of textures, lighting, and rendering. The 6 styles are as follows (I can switch some of these for alternatives if I need to):
  • Realistic
  • Toon
  • Gothic
  • Silhouette
  • Sketchy
  • Hand-painted

I have been having trouble selecting an environment, as I am not sure which might be suitable in this situation. These are a few concepts I picked out, but would love some recommendations.

EW2ClBl.jpg

Replies

• CG3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CG3D polycounter lvl 2
    Here are some basic reference for the styles I will be aiming to achieve:
    yIuDQLW.jpg
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    CG3D wrote: »
    The project entails modelling a single environment, then rendering it in 6 different 'styles' through the use of textures, lighting, and rendering. The 6 styles are as follows (I can switch some of these for alternatives if I need to):

I don't think this is a good idea. The different styles you mention require not only changes in texture, lighting and shading, but also modeling. This means you'll essentially rebuilding the environment several times. Cool if you're up for it, but I'd get pretty sick of creating the same space over and over.

Stylized work, for example, often incorporates exaggeration in geometry and silhouette. Exaggerated models rendered in a realistic style can work, but it's a risky proposition.

I would go for a single concept that you like and try to match it as closely as you can, not only in design, but also in look, feel and style. You could still do a couple different lighting variations pretty easily, but changing the style will take a lot of work.
  • inwar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    jStins wrote: »
    I don't think this is a good idea. The different styles you mention require not only changes in texture, lighting and shading, but also modeling. This means you'll essentially rebuilding the environment several times. Cool if you're up for it, but I'd get pretty sick of creating the same space over and over.

Stylized work, for example, often incorporates exaggeration in geometry and silhouette. Exaggerated models rendered in a realistic style can work, but it's a risky proposition.

I would go for a single concept that you like and try to match it as closely as you can, not only in design, but also in look, feel and style. You could still do a couple different lighting variations pretty easily, but changing the style will take a lot of work.

This. It would be easier to do an outdoor scene with different times of day and/or weather
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Thirded.The idea of a scene with different times of the day/weather/circumstances is much simpler to achieve and look great at the end, rather than ending up with one good result, but also five subpar renders with mis-matched geometry that doesn't suit the feel of the scene.

I think a style study exercise like this has it's place, but you would need to be able to devote the time to study the cornerstones of the style and remodel the scene entirely to really get anything meaningful out of it.
  • CG3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CG3D polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for all the feedback. I do realize now that it is not really the right approach, and requires some changes. I am going to just focus on a single environment and try and match its look and feel as close as possible. I will still do some lighting variations (time of day / weather). This does make more sense now that it was pointed out. Over the next couple days I will search for an environment concept, though I am not exactly sure where to look, are there any threads on Polycount which contain some?
  • inwar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
  • CG3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CG3D polycounter lvl 2
    Wow, concept root is really great. I am looking for a cool environment I can tackle now, so I can get started in the next couple of days.