Home Technical Talk

WeavR - 3D art creation inside Unity

Introducing WeavR
https://www.virtual-mirror.com/technology/weavr/

WeavR (pronounced “Weaver”) is a full-featured 3D art creation toolset, integrated into the Unity® Editor.
It gives artists and designers the tools to create 3D content right inside their game editing environment.

Despite being integrated into Unity® Editor, WeavR stand up to standard with dedicated 3D applications.
This includes native FBX¹ pipeline, support for N-gons, rich modelling tools, rigging tools and much more.

Some of WeavR's Notable Features
  • FBX¹ pipeline
  • Rich Modeling, UV, Rigging and Retopology tools
  • Full N-gon support (meaning non-triangle faces)
  • Unlimited Undo
  • Free updates for life²
  • Unity® Free & Pro
  • Windows & Mac

WeavR Development

We're mostly done with the core components and infrastructure, and are now working on individual tools and their functionality.
You can follow the development progress, as well as stay updated on what's planned for the future on the WeavR Roadmap page.

We're planning to release an early alpha version of WeavR, with limited functionality, so we can get your feedback as soon as possible.
The WeavR alpha is currently slated to early 2015.

We'll appreciate any feedback and input regarding any aspect of WeavR.
If you wish to speak with us directly, please don't hesitate to Contact Us.

Replies

• harel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    To get backing from this demanding crowd, you ought to actually show specifics of your 3D modeling pipeline in the app. So far I can really only tell that it supports FBX and undo. That in itself probably isn't enough to get people excited.

Just some constructive crits. I am aware how much work it is to write the core of a program like this, but that's not what sells. Your post is real pretty though.

Thank you.
    What exactly do you mean by "3D modeling pipeline"?
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    I don't really get why anyone would use this. Maybe it could come in handy for blocking out but things like UV-ing and rigging, I think I would rather use external 3d packages for that.
  • harel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL wrote: »
    I don't really get why anyone would use this. Maybe it could come in handy for blocking out but things like UV-ing and rigging, I think I would rather use external 3d packages for that.

Fair enough,
    But think about modeling and editing in the environment that the model will be used.
    You get all the shaders, scaling, editing of multiple instanced mesh's etc..

We aim to be as feature rich as dedicated application.
    But we're also planning tools that are focused for game art that aren't available right now in other packages.
  • harel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is our last blog post: Introducing WeavR, the next step in 3D game art creation
    It may help understand our reasoning to create WeavR.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    What perna means is you need to show how the modeling tools work ( like a walk through of modeling something) and show us why it's better than using an external program.
  • harel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 wrote: »
    What perna means is you need to show how the modeling tools work ( like a walk through of modeling something) and show us why it's better than using an external program.

Ah I got it..
    We're in a pre-alpha state and finished the base systems.
    We have some tools but not enough for a full modelling session.

The idea behind this crowd-fund campaign is to help up get to an "Alpha" release.
    You can expect full modelling session near to this "Alpha" release. :)
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Yeah there is no way I am going to invest money in something without knowing it's can or will do what I need. If you can't even show off basic modeling at this point then I don't know how you are going to get people to invest. You have the other problem of competing with dedicated well developed programs like 3d Max, Maya, Blender, Modo, etc. If you want people to buy your product you need to show that it's as good as the other modeling programs and that there is a large benefit to having it integrated into Unity.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    How will this work in conjunction with Unity hotkeys? Would you go to a modeling mode with it's own hotkeys? I'm just wondering how that would all work, if it would require the use of pressing on screen buttons for everything and whatnot.

Since there are no videos really showing it in use it's hard to see how it could speed up game development in anyway. Do you have any examples of instances where this would prove useful in comparison to working in another program? Exporting from another piece of software and simply updating in Unity is pretty 1 to 1.

If anything it would be texturing in Unity that would be better since you could preview changes with the same shaders you will use in game.

The only case I could really see this being useful right now is if it was an option for manually editing the shape of colliders if one were to not use box colliders.

Good luck with the fundraising but I think that the fact that it's using your own site for all the funding rather than a site with rules and guidelines that can more easily be enforced can also make people less easy with putting cash down on the project.

What can it do that really takes advantage of being a direct part of Unity?
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    perna wrote: »
    Honestly, I wouldn't buy 3D software from someone who has to ask that question... :-/

This right here ^
  • harel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @perna, @Dataday
    I'm a 3D modeler myself and where I came from the word "pipeline" is used to describe flow of data from one software to another.
    I felt that this is not what the perna meant so I've asked a simple question.

I'm taking you're questions/concerns seriously and will provide the feedback you're asking for in the near future.

@Shadownami92
    WeavR has a search-box style action window we call "Dynamic Menu" and an RPG-style Hot Bar.
    When you call an action from the Dynamic Menu you can either type the actions full name or you can type its unique initials fast like EX for extrude.
    So calling extrude from the Dynamic Menu will be like that: Space(calls the Dynamic Menu), E, X, Space(Will execute the action)
    The Hot Bar in the other hand function in a way that is very similar to an RPG/MMO Hot Bar. You assign an action to a slot and when you press a number the action is called.
    And like must RPG Hot Bars you have couple columns available to customize.
    So in example if in slot number 1 you've put an extrude action, pressing 1 will execute it.

Direct advantage of WeavR is in level design and environment art. modelling in the level is king.
    The truth is that it was our starting point with WeavR but as we dived into the design of WeavR we felt that we can deliver an entire toolset.

Thanks for the feedback.